cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are you embarrassed every time you use your credit card?

tag
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

Are you embarrassed every time you use your credit card?

When someone uses an AmEx Centurion or other luxury card, they feel good about it, the status and brand is part of the reason they use it.

I wonder if there are cards out there that you use that have the opposite effect. Cards that you think or feel tell the world that your credit is not so perfect, usually it's those "no name" cards no one has heard about, for example, First Premiere Bank, etc?

Message 1 of 71
70 REPLIES 70
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Re: Are you embarrassed every time you use your credit card?

nobody ever notices the cards that I use.  Most of the time, the cashier's don't even see my cards, unless I am holding it up so they can check the signature strip, because, for merchants in the area where I live, the card readers face the customer.

Once in awhile, though, someone will notice my wallet, which is an acmwallet.

I would feel bad about using a card with no rewards, though, or one with high annual fees that my card use didn't compensate for.  But not embarrassed.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 2 of 71
Lechte
Frequent Contributor

I feel bad and embarrassed when I use my CreditOne Card....but that's not because of what other people might think....it's simply because I freakn hate it.

(EX08 - 654) --- (TU08 - 643) --- (EQ08 - 667) --- (EQ04 - 676)

Message 3 of 71
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Nope.  Most cashiers (in cases where the store doesn't have a terminal where the customer swipes the card to begin with) seem like they couldn't care less and don't even notice what the card is.

Message 4 of 71
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

Nope.  Most cashiers (in cases where the store doesn't have a terminal where the customer swipes the card to begin with) seem like they couldn't care less and don't even notice what the card is.

+1

And I don't feel bad about using my IT for absolutely everything, because I am getting at least 1% cash back compared to if I used my debit card. 

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 5 of 71
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Moving to Smorgasbored.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 6 of 71
jm1991
Regular Contributor

i dont really have any emaberrasing credit cards but it does feel good when they comment on the Marriot one cus it feels different. 

Marriott Premier SV: $8,500 Amex blue sky: $24,000 BoA BBR: $3,900 BoA Cash Rewards: $9,100 Ritz Carlton: $5,000 Discover: $5,000
MyFico Score:752
Message 7 of 71
eagle2013
Established Contributor

@DaveSignal wrote:

nobody ever notices the cards that I use.  Most of the time, the cashier's don't even see my cards, unless I am holding it up so they can check the signature strip, because, for merchants in the area where I live, the card readers face the customer.

Once in awhile, though, someone will notice my wallet, which is an acmwallet.

I would feel bad about using a card with no rewards, though, or one with high annual fees that my card use didn't compensate for.  But not embarrassed.

+1 I get way more comments on my wallet than I do my cards. I get occassional comments on my CSP, but most of the time I am holding my own card and swiping. 

Message 8 of 71
Stralem
Established Contributor

I have never been embarrassed to pay for anything using a credit card.

Besides, only people who frequent forums like this care enough to take note of what I use to pay for my morning coffee.

Well... 99 percent of the time, anyway.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 9 of 71
Stanic413
Regular Contributor

Stralem Wrote:

I have never been embarrassed to pay for anything using a credit card.

Besides, only people who frequent forums like this care enough to take note of what I use to pay for my morning coffee.

Well... 99 percent of the time, anyway.

Haha, true!  I'd be more embarassed if I was consistently card snooping than consistently swiping the worst card in my wallet.  

18k10k7.6k10k10k5k5.6k1.7k2k
Federal CU PLOC: $5k
Scores, Dec. 2014- TU: 755 EX: 763 EQ: 757
Last App: 12/8/14. In the garden until Jan 2016, getting "mortgage" ready.
Message 10 of 71
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.