cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are you embarrassed every time you use your credit card?

tag
Jon85
Frequent Contributor

Re: Are you embarrassed every time you use your credit card?

I see your point... 

But I like the fact that I have more important things to worry about than what a cashier who is probably making $10 an hour thinks of my financial portfolio, haha. 

Message 21 of 71
milkshakes
Regular Contributor

@DrZoiberg wrote:

I use my Discover as proudly as I do my Centurion. Only at hotels, airports and a few nice restaurants do the people know what the Centurion is. I've used it at Starbucks for my coffee and got nothing. No name cards are nothing to be embarrassed of. Who knows, that no name we've never seen could be a hard card to get or something. Kind of like the White Card (Stratus Visa) , I don't know if it's metal or not but it's plain looking but yet it's an exclusive card too. 

+1 i think it's more in the way that you carry yourself and manage your credit. youll only be embarassed if you give yourself a reason to be. the people who are making the right decisions (credit wise, at least) can pay with whatever card they want without a second thought.

id rather be the guy paying with a nonprestigious card than the guy with a prestigious card but can't justify the AF. that's when id be embarassed.

12k                    10k                     5k                 12.5k (AU)                 6k                   NPSL                   12k
Message 22 of 71
watch44
Frequent Contributor

I used to feel bad when i carried my debit card, but only because it was super old, and i was afraid the thing would split in half when someone swiped it! Smiley Very Happy

What i'm more worried about now is whipping out my black Visa Siggy and letting it out of my sight. I'm afraid i'll get spotted as a mark and get my identity stolen.
  (Hover over pics for details) 
FICO:  TU 731 (05/14/14)   EX 749 (04/24/14)   EQ 684 (02/05/14)   Goal 700
FAKO:  TU 761 (05/20/14)   EX 761 (05/20/14)   EQ 743 (05/20/14)
Message 23 of 71
T4YLOR_M4D3
Valued Member

Honestly I don't any of my friends realize they difference in credit cards. Some use their favorite colors!!! Lol, honestly I feel like I am the only one who pays attention to the hierarchy on CC's. It's the "declined" that send people blushing!
Message 24 of 71
xgac12x
Established Contributor

Sometimes when I am with people etc, I feel like they automatically think I am in a ton of CC debt, when I am not. Just love getting paid to spend money in a sense? (2% cashback, Fidelity Amex Smiley Happy)

CARDS: CAPONEQUICKSILVERONE - $3,000.00
Message 25 of 71
Stralem
Established Contributor

@xgac12x wrote:

Sometimes when I am with people etc, I feel like they automatically think I am in a ton of CC debt, when I am not. Just love getting paid to spend money in a sense? (2% cashback, Fidelity Amex Smiley Happy)

Try having lots of Japanese friends. They were pretty much born and raised to be cash-only.

They all carry Amex Platinums and CSPs that go completely unused, of course, and insist on carrying $200-$300 in cash on them at all times. They look at me like I'm daft if I so much as pay for a bagel with one of my cards at Dunkin Donuts. But that's OK. I get to laugh at them when they try to pay for a $2.04 donut/coffee combo with a hundred dollar bill and the poor cashier struggles to not burst into flames at their audacity.

Paradoxically, they have almost as much CC debt as I do. I'm still trying to figure that one out.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 26 of 71
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

@Stralem wrote:

@xgac12x wrote:

Try having lots of Japanese friends. They were pretty much born and raised to be cash-only.

They all carry Amex Platinums and CSPs that go completely unused, of course, and insist on carrying $200-$300 in cash on them at all times. They look at me like I'm daft if I so much as pay for a bagel with one of my cards at Dunkin Donuts. But that's OK. I get to laugh at them when they try to pay for a $2.04 donut/coffee combo with a hundred dollar bill and the poor cashier struggles to not burst into flames at their audacity.

Paradoxically, they have almost as much CC debt as I do. I'm still trying to figure that one out.

^^^^^

they must be using their credit cards when you are not around to be in a lot of CC debt too

any of them carry Japan Credit Bureau (JCB) credit card?

Message 27 of 71
Stralem
Established Contributor

I'm almost positive that it's their spouses that are racking up the charges, but I don't want to pry.

Nope, they don't have any JCB cards even though they're available here (Chicago); There's a Mitsuwa about 30 minutes outside of town.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 28 of 71
carlosg
Valued Member

@jm1991 wrote:

i feel bad but i kinda do judge people when they come into the hotel trying to get a room with some odd looking credit cards, even debit cards. Ive gotten some that look like they were made with some really cheap plastic and a bad printer. If i dont get a nice looking card like amex, chase, or some well known cards i automatically think i should not rent to you. And not because i am racist or anything but people with debit cards or no name credit cards tend to be people that we have issues trying to throw college parties or just trashing the room as oppose to business people with fancy cards. 

i you boss reads this you should be fired on the spot, there is nothing wrong to pay with debit cards many people have 10x more money on it that all your fancy credit cards combined, and  non prime cards well we all have being there trying to rebuild or getting credit for the firs time, i have seen people with a centurion in their  wallet paying with debit

Starting Score: 500
Current Score: 627
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 29 of 71
jm1991
Regular Contributor

i agree with being wrong at times but I dont know if u actually read why I do that but let me say it again. If I get someone checking in or wanting to rent a room that look young and use a debit or unfamiliar credit card I get nervous and ask myself whether I should or not rent to you because from pass experiences a lot of them turn out to be party people and trash the room and when we try to charge additional damages it turns out they got no more money or their card gets declined. As for the manager, she encourages to upsell rooms at higher rates to young people to discourage them from taking the room. Its just like if you were renting your house or room to a stranger, you would be nervous to rent to a young guy with ripped jeans a t-shirt and a low credit card as oppose to a well suited man with a credit card or debit that are well known and recognized. We are all judgemental even if you say you're not and at work or any other place making a bad judgment can get you fired or written up or cost the hotel money. 

Marriott Premier SV: $8,500 Amex blue sky: $24,000 BoA BBR: $3,900 BoA Cash Rewards: $9,100 Ritz Carlton: $5,000 Discover: $5,000
MyFico Score:752
Message 30 of 71
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.