cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are you embarrassed every time you use your credit card?

tag
MT936
Established Contributor

Re: Are you embarrassed every time you use your credit card?

I don't have one but If I did the most embarassing card in my opinion would be a generic capital one.

Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $25,000 | Navy FCU Cash Rewards: $25,000 | Discover It: $20,500
Chase Freedom: $12,500 | Citi Double Cash: $10,000 | Bank of America Cash Rewards: $8,000

Message 61 of 71
OHWWCB
Regular Contributor

I'm embarrassed when I use my CreditOne card around two of my friends who are big into credit cards and have excellent credit. We often go on trips together and I would just use my Chase debit card rather than break out my really embarrassing card. I'm so happy I have some decent cards now and I can't wait to get my AMEX in the mail and use it for the first time!

Hilton Honors $15,000 | AMEX Green | Chase Sapphire Preferred $9000 | Discover IT $6600 | Marriott Premiere Rewards $5000 | Chase Freedom $5500 | Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards $2000 | CapitalOne Quicksilver One $2000 | US Airways Dividend Miles $2400
Message 62 of 71
Transmogrifying_Bee
Frequent Contributor

@MT936 wrote:

I don't have one but If I did the most embarassing card in my opinion would be a generic capital one.

+1 on the Capital One card, not that the clerk/cashier/server would really care!

Although what's embarrasing for me to think about NOW were some of my pathetic habits back when I had screwed my excellent credit to the point where I had nothing left but DEBIT cards in my wallet.  After Charter One changed their card appearance to green details on a white background, I took pains to save my older (but now expired) GOLD colored debit cards (with Mastercard logo!) and keep them in my wallet, to foster the "illusion" to anyone who might look into my wallet as I opened it to make a purchase that I was a "well-heeled gent" with a wallet full of gold (but now totally useless) cards!  (I DID use the word "pathetic" earlier, didn't I?)

FICO Score 8: EQ 823 EX 817 TU 825 **** VantageScore 4.0: 825 **** VantageScore 3.0: EQ 823 EX 826 TU 825
TOTAL CL (6 cards): $141.0K **** INQUIRIES 2 yrs (1 yr): EQ 0(1) EX 0(0) TU 0(0) **** UTILIZ: 1 % **** GOAL: FICO Score 8: 840+
r>>
Amex BCE 30K || NASA FCU Rewards Visa 30K || Chase Sapphire Visa Signature 21.5K || PayPal Extras MC 20K
CITI Diamond Preferred MC 25.0K || Discover it 14.5K **** CLOSED 7 cards **** GARDENING since 9-26-2014
Message 63 of 71
Stralem
Established Contributor

Speaking of Charter One, what's going on with them?

Here in Chicago, most if not all of the Charter One branches have been turned into US Bank branches.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 64 of 71
Transmogrifying_Bee
Frequent Contributor

@Stralem wrote:

Speaking of Charter One, what's going on with them?

Here in Chicago, most if not all of the Charter One branches have been turned into US Bank branches.

Although I no longer bank with Charter One, they're still going by that name here in Ohio, even after the 2004 buyout by the Royal Bankof Scotland.

FICO Score 8: EQ 823 EX 817 TU 825 **** VantageScore 4.0: 825 **** VantageScore 3.0: EQ 823 EX 826 TU 825
TOTAL CL (6 cards): $141.0K **** INQUIRIES 2 yrs (1 yr): EQ 0(1) EX 0(0) TU 0(0) **** UTILIZ: 1 % **** GOAL: FICO Score 8: 840+
r>>
Amex BCE 30K || NASA FCU Rewards Visa 30K || Chase Sapphire Visa Signature 21.5K || PayPal Extras MC 20K
CITI Diamond Preferred MC 25.0K || Discover it 14.5K **** CLOSED 7 cards **** GARDENING since 9-26-2014
Message 65 of 71
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@carlosg wrote:

@jm1991 wrote:

i feel bad but i kinda do judge people when they come into the hotel trying to get a room with some odd looking credit cards, even debit cards. Ive gotten some that look like they were made with some really cheap plastic and a bad printer. If i dont get a nice looking card like amex, chase, or some well known cards i automatically think i should not rent to you. And not because i am racist or anything but people with debit cards or no name credit cards tend to be people that we have issues trying to throw college parties or just trashing the room as oppose to business people with fancy cards. 

i you boss reads this you should be fired on the spot, there is nothing wrong to pay with debit cards many people have 10x more money on it that all your fancy credit cards combined, and  non prime cards well we all have being there trying to rebuild or getting credit for the firs time, i have seen people with a centurion in their  wallet paying with debit

Sorry, but no. Our GM has told us that anyone at the front desk has the right to refuse service to anyone who you believe would damage or steal from the hotel. Now, am I saying that everyone who only pays by cash/debit card should be or is turned down? Absolutely not (I'd turn down my own mother!). But for me, knowing what I know about credit cards, it is an indicator of an ability to pay. If you say you do not have a credit card, but you want a room and you reek of smoke - I assume you will smoke in our room and we would be unable to collect the $250 penalty - and I would most likely say no. If you had a Centurion in your hand, I would probably say yes. I apologize if some people believe this is too harsh or that stereotyping is wrong (it is, by the way, but sometimes it is better to be safe than listen to your boss tell you we lost 3 nights revenue because the room was destroyed and they took our linen), I apologize, but you'll find more and more hotels adapting to this policy. Our management company now absolutely refuses (it results in a write-up!) to rent a room to someone cash-only, without a valid credit card that is approved for the minimum incidental preauthorization ($50).

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 66 of 71
kingkai1990
Contributor

@longtime_lurker wrote:

@carlosg wrote:

@jm1991 wrote:

i feel bad but i kinda do judge people when they come into the hotel trying to get a room with some odd looking credit cards, even debit cards. Ive gotten some that look like they were made with some really cheap plastic and a bad printer. If i dont get a nice looking card like amex, chase, or some well known cards i automatically think i should not rent to you. And not because i am racist or anything but people with debit cards or no name credit cards tend to be people that we have issues trying to throw college parties or just trashing the room as oppose to business people with fancy cards. 

i you boss reads this you should be fired on the spot, there is nothing wrong to pay with debit cards many people have 10x more money on it that all your fancy credit cards combined, and  non prime cards well we all have being there trying to rebuild or getting credit for the firs time, i have seen people with a centurion in their  wallet paying with debit

Sorry, but no. Our GM has told us that anyone at the front desk has the right to refuse service to anyone who you believe would damage or steal from the hotel. Now, am I saying that everyone who only pays by cash/debit card should be or is turned down? Absolutely not (I'd turn down my own mother!). But for me, knowing what I know about credit cards, it is an indicator of an ability to pay. If you say you do not have a credit card, but you want a room and you reek of smoke - I assume you will smoke in our room and we would be unable to collect the $250 penalty - and I would most likely say no. If you had a Centurion in your hand, I would probably say yes. I apologize if some people believe this is too harsh or that stereotyping is wrong (it is, by the way, but sometimes it is better to be safe than listen to your boss tell you we lost 3 nights revenue because the room was destroyed and they took our linen), I apologize, but you'll find more and more hotels adapting to this policy. Our management company now absolutely refuses (it results in a write-up!) to rent a room to someone cash-only, without a valid credit card that is approved for the minimum incidental preauthorization ($50).

I would have to shop with our company. What exactly entails ''I don't belive you can't pay'' or "I think you're going to steal"?

And the Centurion member should be denied too, as they are not obeying rules. 

Message 67 of 71
jm1991
Regular Contributor

Usually young people wanting to pay cash or asking how much the authorization will be because they only have x amount on their debit. When I hear the is say we dont accept debit (like  some car rentals dont) After working for a while you start to get the vibes from people and most of them are ok, business people coming to sleep and thats it, or family traveling needing to rest and be on their way. Some people you just get a crazy feeling like loud drunk guys coming from the club all trying to gather cash for a room. Uh no. Or crazy crack head looking lady that smells like smoke and gives me some weird looking credit card. I do not want to get fired for renting to someone who destroys the room and we cannot collect from them because their card gets declined for additional charges. And management does not want these kind of guests neither so sometimes I have to make a judgement call when I ge walk ins like that. Or I get nervous and worried if they already made an online reservation and come and pay with with a weird credit card and pray that you will not cause any trouble. And this is only like 1 out of 100+ guests btw not every guest. 

Marriott Premier SV: $8,500 Amex blue sky: $24,000 BoA BBR: $3,900 BoA Cash Rewards: $9,100 Ritz Carlton: $5,000 Discover: $5,000
MyFico Score:752
Message 68 of 71
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@kingkai1990 wrote:

@longtime_lurker wrote:

@carlosg wrote:

@jm1991 wrote:

I would have to shop with our company. What exactly entails ''I don't belive you can't pay'' or "I think you're going to steal"?

While I agree that s/he should be denied too, if both say they won't smoke in the room - at least one of them I know has the ability to repay for additional charges. As for what entails someone believing you cannot pay or are going to take something not belonging to you has a lot to do with the way you present yourself. As I said, stereotypes are more often than not wrong, but they do exist for a reason and it is often the only thing the cashier/hotel clerk/server has to predict your behavior. 

This certainly does not exclusively happen in hotels - it happens in higher end restuarants and stores as well. 

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 69 of 71
Dalanar
Regular Contributor

@longtime_lurker wrote:

@kingkai1990 wrote:

@longtime_lurker wrote:

@carlosg wrote:

@jm1991 wrote:

While I agree that s/he should be denied too, if both say they won't smoke in the room - at least one of them I know has the ability to repay for additional charges. As for what entails someone believing you cannot pay or are going to take something not belonging to you has a lot to do with the way you present yourself. As I said, stereotypes are more often than not wrong, but they do exist for a reason and it is often the only thing the cashier/hotel clerk/server has to predict your behavior. 

This certainly does not exclusively happen in hotels - it happens in higher end restuarants and stores as well. 

In my opinion, the hotel has every right to deny anyone they deem unfit for business, be it the way they act, the type of card they hold, or other factors that put them in high alert.  It's a business, so there is nothing wrong with using stereotypes to help you filter your business.  That's why rental car companies do credit checks and ask for proof of insurance if you're under 25 or some other threshold age.

Experian: 729 Equifax: 740 Transunion: 732
Capital One Mastercard: $0.4K, Capital One Quicksilver: $5K, Chase Southwest Premier: $7.5K, Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $24.9K, Discover It: $9.4K, Chase Sapphire Preferred: $16.9K, Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve: $7.7K, Arrival+ BarclayCard MC WE: $7.5K
Message 70 of 71
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.