Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Astronomical Power Bill!

tag
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Re: Astronomical Power Bill!

Our house is 2900 sf....elec dryer only, run ca as needed....about $120/summer....$70/$80 winter.

I live in the dark though....dh doesn't allow lights, Smiley Very Happy
Message 11 of 32
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

move to Phoenix...invest in solar panels...they may pay YOU.
Message 12 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Early-80s black-roofed (not well insulated, either) 1300 s.f. Cape Cod with quite a few oak trees but electric everything= average power bill of $112/mo.  I'm on the budget billing plan, so that's averaging out gummy Virginia summers and dreary cold winters.

Though, since I've gotten married, I can keep the heat lower in the winter.  Between MrMS and the 9 kitties (in the winter, anywhere from 4-7 of them sleep with us), I stay toasty at night!

We've looked at adding solar panels when we will put in a new 2-story shed (the house doesn't get enough direct sunlight), and it would be upwards of $10k.  I hope the price of solar comes down soon, I keep hearing about all these fabulous breakthroughs that should make it cheaper...

-MsMS
Message 13 of 32
fused
Moderator Emeritus

I forgot to add...we hardly use the AC
Message 14 of 32
athensguy
Valued Contributor

...........Days KWh Cost Daily
This Mth 30 1230 147.47 4.91
Last Mth 30 1209 144.66 4.82

I live in a 2800 Sq. Ft house in GA. Two ACs, Set on 75. I have gas water heating.
Message 15 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Some of those are frightening! Our July electric was $166 and the gas was $45. We have central AC and around 1800 sq ft. I try to keep the AC at 77 and we run multiple ceiling fans around the clock. The next 2 bills will be our high ones for the summer and will probably run around $250. I have no idea why the prices are so much more reasonable in the midwest, but I'm not complaining!
Message 16 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Um....770 sq feet = shoebox ...$293.17 this month!

Message 17 of 32
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Um....770 sq feet = shoebox ...$293.17 this month!

If you don't mind me being nosy...what state do you live in Up? That just strikes me as astronomically high.
Here we go again...
Message 18 of 32
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I moved to a house in the winter in WA and my gas bill was almost $1000 and the electric was $500.  This was for one month.  I moved. 
Message 19 of 32
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

FretlessMayhem wrote:

But that gets me thinking as to why the power company here is regulated by state government. Is that normal?

Utility companies have to be regulated by the Government, because they are granted a monopoly on their areas of service.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.