Did you mean: 

Aurora, CO shooting...

tag
tubesock
Frequent Contributor

Re: Aurora, CO shooting...

@Booner72 wrote:

@tubesock wrote:

Way to many words. A simple, I don't agree would have sufficed.

Then you should not have read his post!  That was not a nice thing to say.

I found what he wrote very interesting.  I am against the DP because I just don't think any human has a right to take another human's life.  And I personally know and am very close to, a man who worked on death row at Quentin.  It has traumatized him, the work.  It's not right.

I am sorry for what happened in your town and I am glad you are okay. 

Booner72, I think you are the Pot calling the kettle black. And for the record, I didn't read much of it at all. Too wordy for a simple forum.

And thank you. I'm pretty happy that I didn't get gunned down by a maniac who deserves what dished out to his innocent victims.

But we're all entitled to our own opinions. I have mine and you have yours. Let's keep it there so that this thread doesn't get flagged. 

FicoTU 780 | Credit Karma 781 | Credit Sesame 780
EQ 673 Dec2011 | Current: 695 Nov2013 | Goal: 720+
UTL: 54% Dec2011 | Current UTL: 21% | Goal UTL: 0% June2014
AmxZync | CapOne 1k | Comenity 1.1k | Target 3k |NFCU Visasig 5k | Goodyear 5.8k | CitiSimplicity 10.2k
Sam'sClub 10k | AmxSpg 20k | Citi HiltonReserve 20k | DCU 20k | Chase RR Visasig 25k | NFCU Visasig 33k
Message 21 of 30
tubesock
Frequent Contributor

Booked a 12 night New York vacation yesterday for very early September. Gotta get out of this city. You have to be here to understand why I say this. 

AmxZync | CapOne 1k | Comenity 1.1k | Target 3k |NFCU Visasig 5k | Goodyear 5.8k | CitiSimplicity 10.2k
Sam'sClub 10k | AmxSpg 20k | Citi HiltonReserve 20k | DCU 20k | Chase RR Visasig 25k | NFCU Visasig 33k
Message 22 of 30
tubesock
Frequent Contributor

OptimalFICO

I apologize if I offended you. Not to sound totally lame or anything but since this happened, I've been really short (and I don't mean in stature). This really hit way to close to home for me. I cried twice today because my street is so quiet; meaning, no kids out playing which is odd. The park at the end of my block is basically deserted as well. I just got back from doing a little shopping and I had to pass Mr. Holmes apartment complex. It's still yellow-taped and the police and other plain clothes, official-looking people are still there doing whatever it is that they do in cases like this. 

Boomer, I apologize to you as well. I'm a really fun and loving person but lately, I'm ready for a fight. Guess I'd better stay off the form for a little bit so I don't take out my anguish on anyone else. 

Message 23 of 30
OptimalFICO
Valued Member

No worries tubesock, you didn't offend me at all, but I appreciate your apology and especially your honesty so thank you. What happened was a terrible, horrific tragedy and I'm sorry you're having to go through all this. It has impacted people far and wide, yet no one can imagine what it must be like for you and the community right there where it happened with daily reminders such as the silence of your neighborhood absent the sounds of children playing or having to drive by Suspect A's apartment complex with police tape still in place. Anger is a very normal response, don't beat yourself up.  I wish you peace and comfort and for you to be able to reclaim your joy soon. Thoughts and prayers are with you. Thanks again for your honesty and sincerity.

Message 24 of 30
tubesock
Frequent Contributor

OptimalFICO wrote: Thanks again for your honesty and sincerity.

You're welcome...

Message 25 of 30
FrugalRican
Blogger

SMH @ Dane Cook.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 26 of 30
tubesock
Frequent Contributor

@FrugalRican wrote:

@Anonymous @ Dane Cook.

SMH@him tooSmiley Sad But at least he saw the errors of his ways and quickly apologized. 

Also, there seems to have been another shooting in Wisconsin this morning at a Sikh Temple. Not sure of all the details but it looks like people are dead and in ICU's at area hospital(s). Sad times we live in...

Message 27 of 30
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Sad times we live in, yes.

I reprise my question from page 2 of this thread...

Was no one else armed, except for the perp?

Message 28 of 30
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@Uborrow-Upay wrote:

Sad times we live in, yes.

I reprise my question from page 2 of this thread...

Was no one else armed, except for the perp?

Don't you need concealed weapon permit to be armed at public? In that case not many people can get their hands on such permit.

Message 29 of 30
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

I've got such a permit, and so does my wife.   Here's why.

Many years ago, I was dining in a popular local restaurant when a serviceman went beserk and started shooting up the place, including its patrons.  I was lucky.  I got out the side door and dove under a parked car for cover.   When the dust settled, the serviceman was dead (shot by police) as were two patrons.  Many others were wounded.

I was terrified by this gunman, and by the fact that I had no way to defend myself from this gun wielding lunatic, so shortly thereafter I applied for (and received) a pistol permit.   Even that long ago (close to 40 years) the paperwork and background checks were astounding and time consuming, but well worth it, IMO.

Two subsequent incidents over the ensuing years have fortified my belief in taking personal responsibility for my own protection and that of my family.  And these instances were 11 years apart.

In one instance, a man with a knife attempted to stab me in order to rob me of the night deposit bag I was carrying.  I talked him out of it by sticking a .38 into his mouth, and I held him just like that until the police arrived.  The cops told me later that I should have shot him.  They apparently knew this guy.  I didn't, and they said that I was lucky to be alive.

The other incident involved a personal feud between two individuals who frequented a bar I owned at the time.  Some perceived insult or another triggered one individual into going out to his vehicle and coming back into the place with a shotgun.  He bashed an older gentleman in the head with the butt of the shotgun as soon as he walked in the door.  He then immediately shot another man in the upper leg, resulting in an injury so severe that the leg had to be amputated.

The assailant backed off and went out of the front door when I produced a .357 Magnum pointed at his head.  I locked the door behind him, while customers scurried to hide in the bathrooms at the rear of the business for safety until the police arrived. 

The assailant, meanwhile, had a change of heart and attempted to get back into the bar.  As the doors were just glass, it would not have been hard for him to do so.

He yanked on the doors, unsuccessfully.  And that was lucky for him.  Had he actually re-entered the premises, I would have shot him, without one moment of regret or twinge of conscience.

In each of these two instances, I was questioned extensively by the police.  I was found to be well within my rights to protect not only myself, but others facing grievous personal harm.

So, that's my story, for good or bad.   And it's sad for me to say that the only individuals who can obtain and carry weapons easily are those same individuals who should be barred from having them at all, namely, the criminals and the nut cases.

Neither of those groups is affected by any law or regulation whatsoever, and because of that, I carry a piece every day, just like I wear pants.

Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.