Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aurora, CO shooting...

tag
GregB
Valued Contributor

Re: Aurora, CO shooting...

Death Penalty? No way. Not even close to good enough.

Round 1 monthly cattleprod torture.

Round 2 cut off one small body part each month.

Round 3 tie him to an anthill.

Message 11 of 30
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

In all honesty, though, it's easy to hate what we picture as evil, but I feel bad for people that are driven to this.  I believe that they can't control the urges.  Often times due to mental illness or, such was the case in Charles Whitman with the University of Texas massacre, a brain tumor.  It's really sad to think that they would be driven to decisions that change not only their lives, but the lives of hundreds of others.

Can you imagine having an uncontrollable urge to harm others?  It's a terrifying thought.  We say that they lack the control to suppress these urges, but what does that mean?  It's just a characteristic of brain function that cannot be helped.

I mean Charles Whitman knew there was something wrong.  So much so that he requested an autopsy be performed on his brain after that tragedy.  That's when they found the tumor.  To know that you're only driven to kill due to something unnatural, but still not be able to stop yourself from doing it...  that's scary and tragic for everyone involved.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 30
tubesock
Frequent Contributor

@thrasher865 wrote:

In all honesty, though, it's easy to hate what we picture as evil, but I feel bad for people that are driven to this.  I believe that they can't control the urges.  Often times due to mental illness or, such was the case in Charles Whitman with the University of Texas massacre, a brain tumor.  It's really sad to think that they would be driven to decisions that change not only their lives, but the lives of hundreds of others.

Can you imagine having an uncontrollable urge to harm others?  It's a terrifying thought.  We say that they lack the control to suppress these urges, but what does that mean?  It's just a characteristic of brain function that cannot be helped.

I mean Charles Whitman knew there was something wrong.  So much so that he requested an autopsy be performed on his brain after that tragedy.  That's when they found the tumor.  To know that you're only driven to kill due to something unnatural, but still not be able to stop yourself from doing it...  that's scary and tragic for everyone involved.

If this is the case then he could have just as easily asked a doctor to look at his brain before killing people. 

The fact that, in the end we all have choices is what's really important. All criminals have a choice to make. The drunk driver, the pedofile and a suicide bomber. 

This guy dyed his hair, purchased googobs of weaponry and boobie trapped his apartment to kill even more people because he knew that the authorities were going to his apartment once he gave himself up after his planned, thoroughly thoughout masacre at the theater. 

He had all this mess planned! I don't feel sorry for him at all. 

Colorado does have the death penalty and I hope that he gets it! More importantly, I hope that they don't keep him on death row for 40 years before they do it. 

Thrasher...I wonder if you'd be as sympathetic towards this maniac if your 6 year old had been the victim. I live here. My city is mourning a tragedy. A tragedy that didn't have to happen.

FicoTU 780 | Credit Karma 781 | Credit Sesame 780
EQ 673 Dec2011 | Current: 695 Nov2013 | Goal: 720+
UTL: 54% Dec2011 | Current UTL: 21% | Goal UTL: 0% June2014
AmxZync | CapOne 1k | Comenity 1.1k | Target 3k |NFCU Visasig 5k | Goodyear 5.8k | CitiSimplicity 10.2k
Sam'sClub 10k | AmxSpg 20k | Citi HiltonReserve 20k | DCU 20k | Chase RR Visasig 25k | NFCU Visasig 33k
Message 13 of 30
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

It is a sad time in Aurora for sure, tubesock.  My heart goes out to the families of the victims, and to the family of the shooter as well.  He is a sick individual, and his family must be overwhelmed with strong feelings of guilt/disgust/shame.

I'm not going to take a position on the death penalty whatsoever, in spite of the eloquence of OptimalFico, as well as the quite satisfying words of GregB.  

I will say that, had I been in that theatre crowd, this discussion would be somewhat different.  I would have shot that man dead, on the spot, and without hesitation.

Was no one in that theatre armed, aside from the perp? 

Message 14 of 30
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@tubesock wrote:

@thrasher865 wrote:

If this is the case then he could have just as easily asked a doctor to look at his brain before killing people. 

Actually he did, but all of them (doctors) just "brushed" him off.

Message 15 of 30
li-kris
New Visitor

Condolences to the families, victims and friends affected by this nightmare. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like we're going to know WHY this happened anytime soon.

Message 16 of 30
GregB
Valued Contributor

It is natural to want an explaination but I doubt we are going to get a good one. I was married to a woman with a brain tumor. I don't advise it. There was little I could do to help even with friends that included a psychologist and a neurosurgeon.

One day she claimed that she never had a brain tumor even though her head still had shaved spots where the surgical instruments were attached to her skull.

Message 17 of 30
Booner72
Senior Contributor

@tubesock wrote:

Way to many words. A simple, I don't agree would have sufficed.

Then you should not have read his post!  That was not a nice thing to say.

I found what he wrote very interesting.  I am against the DP because I just don't think any human has a right to take another human's life.  And I personally know and am very close to, a man who worked on death row at Quentin.  It has traumatized him, the work.  It's not right.

I am sorry for what happened in your town and I am glad you are okay. 

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 18 of 30
Booner72
Senior Contributor

@GregB wrote:

It is natural to want an explaination but I doubt we are going to get a good one. I was married to a woman with a brain tumor. I don't advise it. There was little I could do to help even with friends that included a psychologist and a neurosurgeon.

One day she claimed that she never had a brain tumor even though her head still had shaved spots where the surgical instruments were attached to her skull.

Wow, that's terrible. 

I worked at a locked psych ward for many years and it is just amazing how people believe their delusions. 

off topic, the shooter appeared to me either the best actor ever, or extremely mentally ill.  I vote for schizophrenia.  

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 19 of 30
OptimalFICO
Valued Member

TubeSock, are you trying to say that, "Brevity is the soul of wit"?

BTW the death penalty exists in Colorado, obviously it wasn't a deterrent. Think of all the good that could be done if all this energy were put into helping people instead of propagating more hatred and violence.

It is a great entre into the discussion our country needs to have regarding the lack of funding for mental illness and the inadequate insurance coverage for such things for those who have it. Anyway, this is really not the purpose of this site so I'm signing off.

Best to all of you and my prayers are with the victims, families and loved ones in Colorado.

Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.