Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Award rooms for someone else?

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Award rooms for someone else?

Do any hotel companies make it relatively painless to book an award room for someone else?

I've booked flights for others to fly alone, but not hotels before, and I can't find a way to do it that doesn't seem to require me to check in. All the articles I can find are a few years old, and the websites have clearly changed since the instructions on how to do so were written.

Anyone with recent experience for IHG, Hyatt, or M/RC/SPG?

If it matters, the room is for my mother who shares my last name.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Award rooms for someone else?

If anyone figures out a way, I'd like to know for future reference. But I met with no success and gave up trying.

Message 2 of 6
UncleB
Credit Mentor

If you will be checking in yourself later that day a call to the hotel front desk has worked for me before (Marriott), since they already had my CC on file for the reservation.  When I arrived a few hours later I dropped by the front desk and showed them the physical credit card and my ID.

If you won't be checking in yourself, with Marriott you used to be able to call the local hotel to arrange billing ahead of time.  My office used to do this for employees who were traveling without a Corporate Amex.  If I recall correctly, my clerk had to fax over a photo copy of my Amex, but it might vary depending on the property.

My experiences were a few years ago, though, and were only with Marriott.  I'm surprised/disappointed that there's not a better solution these days.  Smiley Sad

Message 3 of 6
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Bump...same situation again...is there any way (short of Globalist status with Hyatt) to book an award room (with Hyatt, IHG, or Marriott) for a relative that does not require me to check in?

Status perks aren't necessary...just trying to save some money on a basic room.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Let me preface by saying I have no idea. 

When booking a room normally (cash), I do not think the name on the reservation needs to match the name of the guest.  For instance, I have clients who, for reasons of anonymity, book using a pseudonym and are still able to check in using their credit card and ID.  Can you not book it under your name and have them check-in?

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

OMG, I just re-read what i wrote and it sounds like I am a pimp!  I am not!!  Hahaha

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.