Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Banks You Wish Still Existed

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Banks You Wish Still Existed

MBNA. Gave me my first card (alumni association)

I know Bank of the West is still around, but I can tell BNP is slowly trying to migrate away from using the name and their iconic logo.
Message 21 of 31
ISawIt
Established Member

Me too! . . . I loved WAMU.

Message 22 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:
As others have mentioned, definitely Wachovia and MBNA.

Also, Chemical Bank, FCNBD, First Union, Bank of New York, Mellon Bank, Chevy Chase, Signet Bank.

The good old days before they all got gobbled up!

As luck would have it, Chemical Bank is alive and well ... they have absorded several smaller banks (in the last few years) and just signed an agreement to merge TCF Bank of Wayzata (Minneapolis Minnesota) into Chemical Financial Corp  (Detroit Michigan Headquarters - new 20 story Office building with over 500 branches) during 2019. They are alive and kicking again! Smiley Surprised Used to have an account with them and I liked them.

Message 23 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

For me it would be 1st Interstate Bank, had an account there when I was a kid. But being a small town it changed several times.

Was thinking about this the other day, then one day one showed up on a street corner that used to be a On Point CU. 

Message 24 of 31
Gunnerboy
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

For me it would be 1st Interstate Bank, had an account there when I was a kid.

That was my second-ever CC! Low SL, like $600, iirc. Only kept it for three years I think.

"Not everyone who helps you is a friend, and not everyone who challenges you is an enemy."
Message 25 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wachovia son  and some of that dot com money in that account back

Message 26 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sentimentally I would say Home Savings and Loan since it was my very first bank account of any type and Sanwa Bank because my family was heavily tied to them back in Japan.

Home Savings was bought out by WaMu and I want to say Sanwa sold their US interests to Bank of the West.

Message 27 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fleet!!!

Riggs

Chemical

Chase Manhattan

Message 28 of 31
galahad15
Valued Contributor

MBNA

Fleet

Direct Merchants Bank

Mellon

Chase Manhattan

Chevy Chase Bank (pre-Cap1 merger)

Nations Bank (pre-BoA merger)

George Mason Bank (pre-United Bank merger)

Message 29 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Empire of America Federal Savings Bank.  Went belly-up in 1990 after I had a CD purchased in my name in 1985 through them... $1000 CD at ~11% or so.  Been trying for a decade to track it down as it's worth $3000+, but none of the potential banks that could have scooped it up have any record of it.  If this bank were still around today, I'd have my money.

Message 30 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.