Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beef stew recipe

tag
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Beef stew recipe

Does anyone have a really good, hearty beef stew recipe? We've never made it, for some reason both my wife and I are craving it, and we think we can do better than Dinty Moore.
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Beef stew recipe

One of my favorite sites for recipies is www.allrecipies.com.

Search in the search box "Beef Stew" and you'll have over 500 results. You can then sort by rating and you'll see recipies with hundreds of reviews and if you click each review, you can see what others said about the recipe and what they did to tweak it or enhance it. Cool site.
Message 2 of 15
MattH
Senior Contributor

@Lel wrote:
Does anyone have a really good, hearty beef stew recipe? We've never made it, for some reason both my wife and I are craving it, and we think we can do better than Dinty Moore.

Well, my wife and I have many times really enjoyed "Stayabed Stew" from the book below, prepared in a slow cooker:

http://www.amazon.com/Compleat-I-Hate-Cook-Book/dp/0883657945/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1219005523&sr=8-3
TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 3 of 15
demi
Established Contributor

I take beef cubes, brown, add onion, carrots, anything else you want, 1 can cream of mushroom, 1 can of tomato, and a can of red wine, bay leaf, salt, pepper, whatever.  Simmer until almost tender - I then add a bag of small frozen onions and some whole or 1/2 mushrooms and cook until done.  Onions and mushrooms tend to cook away during the process.

This recipe was actually given to me as "Beef Bourginon"  for pressure cooker.  I have done it in pressure cooker (which I don't use anymore), stovetop and oven.

Of course, its been 100 plus around here, stew is the last thing I would be cooking !

Message Edited by demi on 08-18-2008 09:40 AM

Starting Score: EQ 679, TU 697
Current Score: EQ 680, TU 672
Goal Score: EQ 720, TU 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 4 of 15
LouMinotti
Regular Contributor

@demi wrote:
I take beef cubes, brown, add onion, carrots, anything else you want, 1 can cream of mushroom, 1 can of tomato, and a can of red wine, bay leaf, salt, pepper, whatever. Simmer until almost tender - I then add a bag of small frozen onions and some whole or 1/2 mushrooms and cook until done. Onions and mushrooms tend to cook away during the process.
This recipe was actually given to me as "Beef Bourginon" for pressure cooker. I have done it in pressure cooker (which I don't use anymore), stovetop and oven.
Of course, its been 100 plus around here, stew is the last thing I would be cooking !

Message Edited by demi on 08-18-2008 09:40 AM

I have a pressure cooker which is great for beans -- I have a fantastic California Pinto Bean Soup recipe which is out of this world and cooks in about two hours in a pressure cooker , I'll post it if anyone is interested. Easiest, heartiest meal to make. Healthy too, except for the pound of bacon, maybe.
July 08 FICO TU/683 EQ/629 EX/658
Goal: 700+ by June 09
Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose.
Message 5 of 15
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@LouMinotti wrote:

I have a pressure cooker which is great for beans -- I have a fantastic California Pinto Bean Soup recipe which is out of this world and cooks in about two hours in a pressure cooker , I'll post it if anyone is interested. Easiest, heartiest meal to make. Healthy too, except for the pound of bacon, maybe.

I'd love to see that recipe! And any ingredient list that includes "1 lb. bacon" is going to make me happy, lol.

I don't suppose you've ever tried to adapt it for a slow-cooker or regular stove top cooking, have you?
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 15
demi
Established Contributor

Would be interested in the recipe as well.

I haven't used a pressure cooker since I was in jr. college and still at home.  My mom burnt a corned beef in the pressure cooker, it was the most horrible smell....just never wanted one after that !

Starting Score: EQ 679, TU 697
Current Score: EQ 680, TU 672
Goal Score: EQ 720, TU 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 7 of 15
LouMinotti
Regular Contributor

California Pinto Bean Soup

1 bay leaf
3-4 cloves fresh pressed(or chopped) garlic
3 large leeks cut into 1 inch sections
1 lb. bacon cut into 1 inch squares
1 tbsp. fresh chopped parsley
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. fresh ground pepper
1 12oz.can whole tomatoes (I like Son of Italy myself)
1 and 1/2 bags(24 oz)of pinto beans rinsed

garnish with:
Tabasco sauce(optional-as much as you can handle Smiley Wink)
freshly grated parmesan cheese to sprinkle on top but really you can use any cheese you like
1 large loaf fresh french or italian bread and a stick of butter (no explanation needed here)

Basically, I throw everything in the pressure cooker (leave the tomatoes whole and unstrained)and fill with filtered water to the line on inside the pot . I would guess about 3/4 capacity. Put the lid on properly, make sure the gasket is sealed, turn the heat on high until the relief valve is releasing steam at a face pace and then turn to med-low so the relief is slow and steady about one swish per every 1-2 seconds. I usually cook for 45 minutes to an hour, pull it off the stove, put the whole pot unopened under cold running water until no steam is left in the pressure cooker (you know it's safe to open when the relief valve can be moved and no noise comes from it). Open it, stir the soup, check for the bean tenderness and if needed cook for another 15-20 minutes or so.

Every time I make this (usually in the fall and winter) my kids groan until I serve it and then the aroma of it draws them in and they can't get enough.
Folks can also add peppers, cumin and chili powder for a southwestern flavor.

Oh and the reason I refer to this as California Pinto Bean Soup is because my client was cooking this one day while I was at her home and she is from California. Hehe. Smiley Wink
She wasn't using a pressure cooker, so the entire 3000 sq ft. home smelled of this delicious soup.

If you don't have a pressure cooker, simply follow the directions on the package of beans (soaking overnight, etc) and cook the next day the same way in a conventional pot.

I love dishes that only require one pot or pan, makes life a lot easier!
July 08 FICO TU/683 EQ/629 EX/658
Goal: 700+ by June 09
Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose.
Message 8 of 15
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

OMG, nom nom nom.

And thanks for the info about soaking for the non-pressure cooker version.

I'm thinking that navy beans might work, too. nom nom nom
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 9 of 15
MattH
Senior Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
OMG, nom nom nom.

And thanks for the info about soaking for the non-pressure cooker version.

I'm thinking that navy beans might work, too. nom nom nom

Yes, that recipe sounds very good, I may give a go sometime (though I may use chicken instead of bacon). Do remember NOT to add any salt, or any salty ingredients, to the beans until they have softened, because once salt has been added they may never get soft.

However when I make this recipe I'll probably use CANNED beans to make the whole process much shorter...
TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.