Beef stew recipe

tag
LouMinotti
Regular Contributor

Re: Beef stew recipe

@MattH wrote:

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
OMG, nom nom nom.

And thanks for the info about soaking for the non-pressure cooker version.

I'm thinking that navy beans might work, too. nom nom nom

Yes, that recipe sounds very good, I may give a go sometime (though I may use chicken instead of bacon). Do remember NOT to add any salt, or any salty ingredients, to the beans until they have softened, because once salt has been added they may never get soft.

However when I make this recipe I'll probably use CANNED beans to make the whole process much shorter...

here's a little anecdote, too...I notice that beans cooked in a pressure cooker and eaten the same day are not conducive to...ahem, gas. However, if they are refrigerated and then reheated and consumed the next day, they are.

FWIW Smiley Wink
July 08 FICO TU/683 EQ/629 EX/658
Goal: 700+ by June 09
Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose.
Message 11 of 15
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I read something similar in a recipe for red beans and rice. After soaking the beans overnight, pour off the water and use fresh.

It definitely cuts down on the, ummm, side effects, but the color isn't quite as rich. I suppose it depends on whether you're more attuned to your eyes or your nose. Smiley Happy
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 12 of 15
MattH
Senior Contributor

With canned beans, my wife and I usually drain the can then rinse with fresh water and drain again before putting the beans into the soup.
TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 13 of 15
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Where's da beef in this recipe...Smiley Happy
Message 14 of 15
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@fused wrote:
Where's da beef in this recipe...Smiley Happy

This is SmorgasBoard. At least one TJ per thread is required. Smiley Wink
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.