Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being Judged for your CC at high end stores

tag
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: Being Judged for your CC at high end stores

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

As long as they get their commission why would they give a flying flip?  a sale is a sale to an associate

What He said ^^^^^^^^^

Message 11 of 87
Nomad3
Frequent Contributor

Jewelry store tries to get me to apply for their credit instead of using my own. No thanks.

One time had them try to push their no-HP no-credit-check financing, declined. Read the fine print on their website after and it's no credit-check but the origination fee is the same price as whatever you try to finance. $3000 item + $3000 origination + interest for term.

That's the only time I've felt judged for using my own card, but they were just trying to make extra commission
Message 12 of 87
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

I'm sure some do but why would I care? They can be judgemental about material wealth while I rather be the millioniarre next door with an investment\retirement profile and real estate.

Message 13 of 87
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cashiers will comment the first time they see something new. Not the second time.

And if they're judging you for your credit card, they're judging you for so much more tthan that anyway.

Message 14 of 87
Anonymous
Not applicable

To add to what has already said, a sales person is making a low wage as a general rule and would not likely be in a position to pass judgement on some one. Having worked in retail during my younger years, just so the card transactions clear.
Message 15 of 87
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Credit card says a lot about person’s income, if he is frequent traveler or not etc.
Some judge and some don’t care. By the end of the day it your money, your credit card, your responsibility to pay and your thing that you bought. Who cares what other people think?
On other hand why would you want to buy expensive things if you’re insecure about your wallet?

Regarding first sentence. Not always true. In some cases you can make a logical assumption  but plenty of low income people able to get what some consider high tier cards through  either managing their credit well or just paying an AFSmiley Wink

Message 16 of 87
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
They don't care.

...which is why I usually make sure to make my metal cards "ping" multiple times before handing it to them so they know how impressive it is. If they still don't care after that, I usually tell them my credit limit.

That's smart. I'm gonna try it

Message 17 of 87
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

I think the vast majority of people don't know and don't care about the issuer, only that they can slide the card through the reader and the charge is approved. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 18 of 87
JNA1
Valued Contributor

OP, this is your 2nd post like this that is mainly focused on the status of your cards. I’m not judging - I’m (and I’m sure others) just curious as to what your objective/goal is? Slog of people have very different goals and things with their cards that are important to them. It often depends on who is looking at the cards. If people really know cards (and care about that sort of thing) aren’t going to be easily fooled or impressed by “lesser” cards. Other people hear “Platinum” and think that is something special. My wife used her Credit One card at the store one day and cashier said “Ooooh, that’s a Platinum Black Card!” 😂 Yeah, um, no... I’ve a had few comments about my BCP, as if it’s something special just because it is an AMEX and looks cool. 99.9% of the time though, nobody even looks at whatever card I pull out. Put it in the reader, sign it, get the receipt, See ya later, Bye.
Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 19 of 87
Anonymous
Not applicable

will most likely get judged the most when that card declines.

if you're really insecure about the type of card you hand the sales person, customize your cards to a metal one.

this way even a low balance secured cc will look like a baller metal cc haha

https://lioncreditcard.com/

Message 20 of 87
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.