Did you mean: 

Being Judged for your CC at high end stores

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Being Judged for your CC at high end stores

@Aim_High wrote:

@kerplunk wrote:
Warren Buffet uses the American Express Green Card and drives an old station wagon, last I recall.
People who show off are trying to look rich. People who are rich don’t care.

True 'dat.

Truly rich people don't care what you think.

And some high-end shops actually train their people NOT to prejudge based on appearances.

I disrespect anyone who goes out of their way trying to impress me with their credit card, their clothes, their car or their house.  

yeah..billionaires dont really care what you think about how they dress, where they eat, etc..

Message 71 of 87
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

yeah..billionaires dont really care what you think about how they dress, where they eat, etc..

I don't care how much money you have, DQ's ice cream is good sh*t. If I were a billionaire I'd be ordering a Blizzard, too.

Message 72 of 87
OmarR
Established Contributor

@Deuter wrote:
Well this happened to me a few days ago.

I was in a High Speed AVE train in Spain. I was with my Dad. Dad proceeds to pay, he gets turn down by cashier telling that he would need an ID to pay with his card.

I look at my Dad and tell him i brought my card with me just in case, i had an ID. I ask the cashier if they had Apple Pay and she told me they didn’t.

Honest question:

Your dad travels around without ID?

EQ=850   EX=845   TU=843       0/24       UTIL=$1    AZEO

Message 73 of 87
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@iced wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't care how much money you have, DQ's ice cream is good sh*t. If I were a billionaire I'd be ordering a Blizzard, too.

Buffett is actually a fairly fussy eater. He just likes a lot of junk food. He generally avoids vegetables.

I can't find the details, but I vaguely recall reading about a private dinner he attended with some famous Japanese chef cooking. He felt bad barely touching the gourmet food, but he just didn't find it appetizing at all.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 74 of 87
tacpoly
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Do workers at high end designer stores judge you if you pay with a non premium/elite credit card? Is this something they would notice? 

If the sales associates are like normal people, they probably won't know much about different status of credit cards except for the famous Amex Centurion black card.  What the sales associates really like/want is a regular customer -- you can impress them by the amount of money you actually spend.  Many times they'll have your credit card number on file so you don't have to show your card.  You won't need to even go into the store to shop -- they'll send you items they think you may be interested in.  Keep what you want, have the rest picked up / sent back.

Message 75 of 87
Anonymous
Not applicable

Some notice... some don't. I get compliments on the Amex Platinum, which surprises me since I assume there a lot in circulation. My Ritz Card  on the other hand gets commented on all the time.  There aren't that many out there so people don't know what to think. I've had waitresses ask me where I'm going to take them with my "Black Card", and there's no doubt the quality of service and attention was a notch above after they handled the card. I was at a pretty nice restaurant in southern Florida last year and I set up a tab from my table. When I handed the Hostess the card she asked if I would like a private dining room. :-)  It's all about perception with some people.. 

Message 76 of 87
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

...there's no doubt the quality of service and attention was a notch above after they handled the card.

But most people don't take out their credit card until after the meal is over Smiley Very Happy

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 77 of 87
Deuter
Regular Contributor

He had the ID like 8 train cars behind, in his seat on his briefcase with my Mom. So he just got up to pay.. and we had to walk like lots of train compartments until we arrived at the cafe area/lounge. If it makes sense. 

Message 78 of 87
Traveler101
Established Contributor

I have a friend who works at Saks. He says you wont beleive how many folks have their cards in the high end stores declined, and wrestle through their wallet to find one that works. So, if yours works, Dont care what they think.

Message 79 of 87
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Traveler101 wrote:

I have a friend who works at Saks. He says you wont beleive how many folks have their cards in the high end stores declined, and wrestle through their wallet to find one that works. So, if yours works, Dont care what they think.

I'm not surprised. Almost everyone I know that shops at those types of places, can't afford it. It's all about image.

Message 80 of 87
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.