Did you mean: 

Being Judged for your CC at high end stores

tag
Traveler101
Established Contributor

Re: Being Judged for your CC at high end stores

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@Traveler101 wrote:

I have a friend who works at Saks. He says you wont beleive how many folks have their cards in the high end stores declined, and wrestle through their wallet to find one that works. So, if yours works, Dont care what they think.

I'm not surprised. Almost everyone I know that shops at those types of places, can't afford it. It's all about image.

You are exactly spot on. That is the concensus among workers at Saks. He had given me a breakdown before, I really dont remember it though to be honest. But he talks about the image, and says you can pick them out before the sale,  hes been selling there so long. 

Message 81 of 87
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Traveler101 wrote:

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@Traveler101 wrote:

I have a friend who works at Saks. He says you wont beleive how many folks have their cards in the high end stores declined, and wrestle through their wallet to find one that works. So, if yours works, Dont care what they think.

I'm not surprised. Almost everyone I know that shops at those types of places, can't afford it. It's all about image.

You are exactly spot on. That is the concensus among workers at Saks. He had given me a breakdown before, I really dont remember it though to be honest. But he talks about the image, and says you can pick them out before the sale,  hes been selling there so long. 

Any noticeable uptick in the number of ~$50 transactions in the last (two?) years since the Amex Platinum credit began? Smiley Tongue

More seriously, though...the line between needing to impress, wanting to impress, and mental illness may be blurry.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 82 of 87
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

More seriously, though...the line between needing to impress, wanting to impress, and mental illness may be blurry.

No.   The sad truth is that anyone who posts to an internet credit card forum is, almost by definition, devoid of impressive achievements, and so we are jealous of those who can impress, and thus attempt, in our own feeble way, to denigrate the effort!

Sorry, have to go and iron that Saks plastic bag I got two years ago from a trashcan so I can impress people at  Aldi when I buy my mac and cheese mix.

Message 83 of 87
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

No.   The sad truth is that anyone who posts to an internet credit card forum is, almost by definition, devoid of impressive achievements, and so we are jealous of those who can impress, and thus attempt, in our own feeble way, to denigrate the effort!

Sorry, have to go and iron that Saks plastic bag I got two years ago from a trashcan so I can impress people at  Aldi when I buy my mac and cheese mix.

I can see the pressure to have a certain card (or at least not a lousy one) for appearances in business or certain social settings. Sort of like how real estate brokers tend to newer and more expensive cars than their incomes might otherwise suggest...even when they never drive in snow or on dirt roads where an old car could be an actual danger. Whether it actually translates into commensurately higher property sales, I don't know.

But it's harder to make a case for needing to impress a retail clerk (or restaurant server)...at least unless a person has something other than business in mind.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 84 of 87
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

I can see the pressure to have a certain card (or at least not a lousy one) for appearances in business or certain social settings. Sort of like how real estate brokers tend to newer and more expensive cars than their incomes might otherwise suggest...even when they never drive in snow or on dirt roads where an old car could be an actual danger. Whether it actually translates into commensurately higher property sales, I don't know.

But it's harder to make a case for needing to impress a retail clerk (or restaurant server)...at least unless a person has something other than business in mind.

That's actually a good point.

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 85 of 87
Anonymous
Not applicable

@OmarR wrote:

I have only seen a black Amex twice in my life. That's probably the only card that made me wonder (for all of 5 seconds) what the person did for a living.

probably taking advantage of poor people and future generations? LOL

Message 86 of 87
Andypanda
Established Contributor

Not a high end store, but got a comment today how heavy my amex Amazon biz card was compared to the card she usaully gets.

Message 87 of 87
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.