cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being Judged for your CC at high end stores

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Being Judged for your CC at high end stores

Only time I have gotten any comments on my cards they were compliments . Always when I use the marvel people remark how cool it is . And once when I used my bce amex card at the post office the lady remarked how shiny and pretty it is . Other than that , usually I am putting the card into the chip slot myself so nobody even sees my card . It’s only at fast food places etc that I hand a card . Or when we go out to eat . I think most people don’t notice or if they do are not going to say anything . I imagine most people are not credit obsessed like us here and when we hand over our metal CSR card they are not thinking “ gasp that card has a 10,000 starting limit “........😂😍
Experian 718
Equifax 716
Transunion 708.
Credit unions: Member of NFCU, Penfed, BECU, Alliant, Mountain America, and Unify. Credit cards with all except mountain America and unify. Waiting until some inquiries fall off.
Geo restricted from fifth/third, bbva, bb&T, PNC bank, and all the other banks that give out cards like candy.
Idaho resident.
Message 31 of 87
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Being Judged for your CC at high end stores

Knock their socks off with a Credit One Amex!

 

I think if you shop on Rideo Drive, they'd notice. But before then, they'd already size you up when you walked in, what you are wearing, how you look, and how you speak. And determine if you really belong in there. 

 

Other than that, I wouldn't know, and it wouldn't really matter elsewhere. 

Scores, HPs/24 mos. (updated 11/20/20):
    Experian FICO Score 8 = 828, 1/24
    Experian FICO Score 9 = 813, 1/24
   TransUnion = 815, 1/24
    Equifax = 818, 0/24

Total 2019 rewards, incl. offers/deals = $1,709.07
Avg. rewards rate, incl. offers/deals = 3.92%

Total CL: $247,000

Cards (hover over for CL | interest rate | Date Opened):
Message 32 of 87
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Being Judged for your CC at high end stores

What are you REALLY asking here?

 

Eeveryone is going to judge you for what you do. All the time. It's human nature. Whether or not they act on it or are in a position to act on it is another topic. 

 

Not having a "Premium Rewards" credit card is unlikely ever going to make you missout on some magical life changing experience and does NOT make you any less of a person. Some of the wealthiest people I know have a single vanila VISA from WellsFargo, Chase, ETC.

 

Stop worrying about sky-high limits and flashy cards. They're NOT impressive and they're probably not going to make you feel any happier. 

 


Message 33 of 87
Highlighted
Valued Member

Re: Being Judged for your CC at high end stores

Used to work somewhere $1k+ purchases were the norm. The only customer that I ever judged was a man who kept telling us how important he was and how much more valuable his time was than ours. He then whipped out a black Luxury Card that proceeded to get declined. I’ve never had to try so hard to keep from laughing.
Message 34 of 87
Highlighted
Super Contributor

Re: Being Judged for your CC at high end stores


@baker_miller wrote:
Used to work somewhere $1k+ purchases were the norm. The only customer that I ever judged was a man who kept telling us how important he was and how much more valuable his time was than ours. He then whipped out a black Luxury Card that proceeded to get declined. I’ve never had to try so hard to keep from laughing.

Black weight c.jpg

This was in my mail. I think it's the first time I've seen a card ad devote more space to the weight of a card than its rewards/perks/service/benefits.

 

I guess they know their customer base.

Spend: BofA PR + WWFCR, BBP, Schwab Platinum, CFF+CF, Costco, Discover
Perks: IHG49, Hyatt75, Delta Platinum, "Old" SPG95
SD/AAoA Ballast: Arrival, CFU, DC
Upgrade/downgrade games: BCE, EDP
SUB: JetBlue, Amex Platinum
Mostly earning MRs and cash back as I use up hotel and airline points spread across several programs.
Message 35 of 87
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Being Judged for your CC at high end stores


@wasCB14 wrote:

@baker_miller wrote:
Used to work somewhere $1k+ purchases were the norm. The only customer that I ever judged was a man who kept telling us how important he was and how much more valuable his time was than ours. He then whipped out a black Luxury Card that proceeded to get declined. I’ve never had to try so hard to keep from laughing.

Black weight c.jpg

This was in my mail. I think it's the first time I've seen a card ad devote more space to the weight of a card than its rewards/perks/service/benefits.

 

I guess they know their customer base.


I bet the cashier would notice that card. Especially the next day recovering from muscle soreness handling the card. 

Scores, HPs/24 mos. (updated 11/20/20):
    Experian FICO Score 8 = 828, 1/24
    Experian FICO Score 9 = 813, 1/24
   TransUnion = 815, 1/24
    Equifax = 818, 0/24

Total 2019 rewards, incl. offers/deals = $1,709.07
Avg. rewards rate, incl. offers/deals = 3.92%

Total CL: $247,000

Cards (hover over for CL | interest rate | Date Opened):
Message 36 of 87
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: Being Judged for your CC at high end stores

I've been going to a quiznos for the past at least 5 years..  The owner of the store also works the cash register.

 

When I paid with my Amex platinum card, it was the first time he's ever said one word to me.. 5 years I've been going to this particular quiznos.

 

He asked me what I did for a living.. and we just chatted for a bit.

Last Inquiry 1/16/2020 (BBT Bright Business Visa $15,000.00)
Fico Score Progression :
10/1/2018 EQ 530 TU 535 EX 540
2/6/2020 EQ 736 TU 736 EX 721
In the garden till 11/1/2020
Message 37 of 87
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Being Judged for your CC at high end stores

I was complimented a few times by the nice receptionist at the veterinarian's office. She loved my Yosemite Discover card and didn't know that Discover allowed you to choose from so many different designs. (She has a Discover card too.)

 

Based on my experience, plenty of well-to-do people have one or two credit cards and use whatever their bank offers them. I haven't ever been wealthy, but I had excellent credit for years and probably could have gotten many different cards back in the day. I just didn't know that I could. I used to have a Chase card (in good standing—I just sock-drawered it and they eventually closed it). I never knew that Chase was "ooh la la" special. All I remember is that they sent me a mailer and I bit and took the offer. 

 

 


Overstock $9,750, Walmart $2.5K, Discover IT Cash Back $2.4K, NFCU Flagship $5K (formerly CashRewards), Shell (Citi) $800, NFCU More Rewards $17K, AMEX Cash Magnet $1K, Citizens Cash Back $2.8K, Amazon Store Card $4.2K, Cap1 QS $1.1K, FBNO Visa $1.6K, AMEX Blue Cash Preferred, $8K, eBay MC $800 (RIP Green Dot Platinum Secured)
Current FICO8: EQ 700, TU 697, EX 690   Current FICO9: EQ 715, EX 714
Goal for December 2019: FICO8 640-700 (reached! Fico 681!) | Goal for December 2020: FICO8 685-700 (Reached! 690!) | Goal for December 2021: FICO8 700-740
Starting Score: 539  Current Score: 690  Goal Score: 760
My credit recovery journal

Message 38 of 87
Highlighted
Established Contributor

Re: Being Judged for your CC at high end stores

The only time a cashier has ever commented on my credit card I use, was at a Carl's Jr drive-through window, when the cashier asked out of curiousity if I had "the trifecta", or only the CSP that I was paying with. That was definitely the last place I ever expected someone to ask me that.

 

Every other place I've ever used any of my cards (which range from a lowly Cap1 Platinum up to the Chase SP), has not received any attention whatsoever.

 

That said.... when I go on a first date with a new girl, I generally don't pay for dinner with the Cap1 card Smiley Very Happy

    Total Loan Balance: $61k / $104k

    Total SL: $41.2k
Goal cards:



United 1K - 675,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase 6/24
Message 39 of 87
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Being Judged for your CC at high end stores


@coreysw12 wrote:

The only time a cashier has ever commented on my credit card I use, was at a Carl's Jr drive-through window, when the cashier asked out of curiousity if I had "the trifecta", or only the CSP that I was paying with. That was definitely the last place I ever expected someone to ask me that.

 

Every other place I've ever used any of my cards (which range from a lowly Cap1 Platinum up to the Chase SP), has not received any attention whatsoever.

 

That said.... when I go on a first date with a new girl, I generally don't pay for dinner with the Cap1 card Smiley Very Happy


Are you embarrassed by your Cap One card? Using that card like taking her to McDonald's on a first date?

Scores, HPs/24 mos. (updated 11/20/20):
    Experian FICO Score 8 = 828, 1/24
    Experian FICO Score 9 = 813, 1/24
   TransUnion = 815, 1/24
    Equifax = 818, 0/24

Total 2019 rewards, incl. offers/deals = $1,709.07
Avg. rewards rate, incl. offers/deals = 3.92%

Total CL: $247,000

Cards (hover over for CL | interest rate | Date Opened):
Message 40 of 87
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.