Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best and Worst Looking Cards

Message 11 of 34
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Amex by far is the nicest and the Platinum never fails to get compliments when I use it. Penfed quality is lacking for sure.  

What part of the country still thinks the Platinum is an exclusive or elite enough card to compliment on?

As for the main question, none of the cards today really jump out as attractive, so I'd take anything that's not plastic or still has embossed numbers as they tend to break after a few years.

The last generation of Citi cards, where the stripe was on the front of the card, caused a lot of confusion at registers, so I'd put them in the "worst" bucket, too. They walked that change back after about a year.

Of my cards, I guess I'd go with the CSR as the "best" since it's blue and has a simple, clean front. No pictures, no numbers, just a card.

Message 12 of 34
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

@HeavenOhio wrote:

I honestly don't care what my cards look like. I care more that they're made in a way that they don't fall apart.

Having said that, people have commented on my BCE, Amazon, Savor, and Quicksilver cards.

Funny.  I despise the BCE.  Too thin, feels slippery, and (to my aging eyes) impossible to read in anything other than excellent light.  CO shows me no love, so I may never experience a Savor or QS.

Big fan of the look & feel of the (metallic blue-gray) Discover It.  Like Citi's DC and the CSP, too.

2023 Goal: save 3 months' net income

Starting FICO8: 666 (give or take a FICO)
[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
EQ8415 INQ (Auto, CC, HELOC, 2 mort)7y2m
EX8125 INQ (2 CC, 2 mort, HELoan)6y11m
TU8294 INQ (3 CC, 1 mort)6y6m
5/243/12AoYA 0m | AoOA 23y6m~3%
Message 13 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

The most hideous cards in my opinion are any that are instant-issued from a bank/credit union. I have a Debit MasterCard from Security Service FCU that is downright awful and almost looks counterfeit! The numbers are printed in white with a black outline; there is a line running horizontally throughout the card during the printing process and despite being navy blue, the area where the mastercard logo is has been made white. I know I just described debit as opposed to credit-but SSFCU also issues credit cards. Awful. And they aren't the only CU that does that. Nearly all Credit One cards are bad (beach scenes on a credit card is so 1990s).

Best looking cards (besides the obvious Amex Platinum/Chase CSP/CSR/Ritz) are USAA. I don't think many people have actually seen one in person because membership is so closed...but they are very handsome cards.

As with anything, looks are subjective. 

Message 14 of 34
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@iced wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Amex by far is the nicest and the Platinum never fails to get compliments when I use it. Penfed quality is lacking for sure.  

What part of the country still thinks the Platinum is an exclusive or elite enough card to compliment on?

Ignorance about Amex's underwriting is not limited to any particular part of the country.  I would argue that outside of this forum (and other similar credit/travel forums) knowledge about any card's underwriting is likely sparse.

At one time the Amex Platinum was somewhat-exclusive and out-of-reach for many people, and that thought is still common with many people.

Message 15 of 34
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

The most hideous cards in my opinion are any that are instant-issued from a bank/credit union. I have a Debit MasterCard from Security Service FCU that is downright awful and almost looks counterfeit! The numbers are printed in white with a black outline; there is a line running horizontally throughout the card during the printing process and despite being navy blue, the area where the mastercard logo is has been made white. I know I just described debit as opposed to credit-but SSFCU also issues credit cards. Awful. And they aren't the only CU that does that. Nearly all Credit One cards are bad (beach scenes on a credit card is so 1990s).

Best looking cards (besides the obvious Amex Platinum/Chase CSP/CSR/Ritz) are USAA. I don't think many people have actually seen one in person because membership is so closed...but they are very handsome cards.

As with anything, looks are subjective. 

I'm a fan of USAA's designs as well... all of their designs are nice, but IMO the Limitless is a very attractive card.  (It's seldom a card has both nice aesthetics and great rewards, too.)

Message 16 of 34
Saleen099
Senior Contributor

Message 17 of 34
QuakerOatmeal
Regular Contributor

Wow! I checked out their website and I can't imagine how much they go for!

Message 18 of 34
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@QuakerOatmeal wrote:

Wow! I checked out their website and I can't imagine how much they go for!

$15k to $50k.

The only issuers they partner with are in Russia, Switzerland, and Panama.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 19 of 34
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@kilroy8 wrote:

I have gotten the "cool card" comment from young people on the BCP. The CSP just causes them to do a double-take because it is heavier than expected and metal.

Metal and weight wise, how does it compare to the metal Chase Amason Prime card that is also metal?

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 20 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.