Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best and Worst Looking Cards

tag
toadsworth
Regular Contributor

Re: Best and Worst Looking Cards

I’m pretty sure the cards are physically the same in terms of weight and stiffness for the Chase Amazon Prime and the CSP/CSR.

My pick for best looking card is the Ritz-Carlton rewards. Just the weight and stiffness of it, plus that insanely loud metal clank if you don’t set it down gently on a surface.
Kind of have everything I want now, creditwise. Undeliberately gardening until I have some spending to do and find a 100,000 Amex Platinum offer lol

Started my credit journey August 2016, after abstaining from credit for years after some poor financial choices in high school. Started with scores in the 580s. Current scores 11/6/18 - EQ: 754 TU: 757 EX: 743

From oldest to newest: DuPage CU Visa Platinum, SL 500 now 3750, Cap1 Platinum SL 300 PC'd to QS now 1600, Alliant Credit Union Share Secured Loan $500, Amex BCE SL 5000 now 600, Neiman Marcus SL 700 now 10000, Target RedCard SL 400 now 2900, Amex ED SL 10000 now 500 (combined with Cash Magnet), Chase AARP SL 800 now 3300, Chase Amazon Prime SL 1000 now 10000, Honda Lease, Discover it SL 1000 now 7000, Synchrony PayPal 2% CB SL 3000 now 10000, Barclays Uber Visa SL 800 now 2100, Citi ThankYou Preferred SL 3300 now 5300, Chase Ritz-Carlton SL 10000 now 1500 (moved to other cards to get annual fee refund), Comenity Total Rewards Visa SL 2000 now 3250, US Bank Cash+ SL 500 recon'd to 10000, US Bank Reserve LOC 1000, Union Bank Rewards Visa SL 5000 now 5000, Amex Cash Magnet SL 9900 now 20000, Cap1 Venture SL 10000 now 10000, Discover it 3000 SL now 4000, Amex SPG Luxury 3100 SL now 3100, Amex Amazon Business Prime 10000 SL now 10000, Amex Gold NPSL, US Bank Premier LOC 5000, US Bank Visa Platinum 5400 SL currently reconning

Combined revolving CL $135,300

Goal: Spring 2019 800+ club, $50,000 combined Amex limit
Message 21 of 34
Sloedough
Regular Contributor

Amex Platinum +1

It looks awesome and it is very heavy.

CSR

Another metal card, light when compared to the Amex Platinum, but the card looks sweet.

Message 22 of 34
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

My best looking card is the USB Altitude Reserve

My worst looking card is Amex EveryDay. I personally think it looks cheap

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 23 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree about the BCE. At first I thought how cool and very different, a transparent card. But it is too difficult to read, especially with some wear on it.

As for best looking, or "worst". I haven't seen every card out there, but I tend to like ones with actual pictures of say Beaches etc.

So typical CC are boring to me. But I do like the looks of the CSP, Discover(purple), and QS1 isn't too bad as well as Diamond Preffered.

Of my own collection.

The rewards is what matters most, but it's nice to have something interesting to look at while using them.

Message 24 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@iced wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Amex by far is the nicest and the Platinum never fails to get compliments when I use it. Penfed quality is lacking for sure.  

What part of the country still thinks the Platinum is an exclusive or elite enough card to compliment on?

Ignorance about Amex's underwriting is not limited to any particular part of the country.  I would argue that outside of this forum (and other similar credit/travel forums) knowledge about any card's underwriting is likely sparse.

At one time the Amex Platinum was somewhat-exclusive and out-of-reach for many people, and that thought is still common with many people.

My experiences with American Express dates back to 1973 and the "somewhat-exclusive" was the cards lure. American Express was effective with pitching the "don't leave home with out it". Worked for Ford Motor Company and they arranged for certain management employees to get the American Express Gold Card with a "line of credit" from one of their bank relationships (bank name etched on the front in Black - looked impressive)  to use with the charge card. Talk about glowing with exclusive and importance. Yes, it was in our mind but, other people who saw the cards always seemed to ask and oogle it's shiny appearance.

Message 25 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The most hideous cards in my opinion are any that are instant-issued from a bank/credit union. I have a Debit MasterCard from Security Service FCU that is downright awful and almost looks counterfeit! The numbers are printed in white with a black outline; there is a line running horizontally throughout the card during the printing process and despite being navy blue, the area where the mastercard logo is has been made white. I know I just described debit as opposed to credit-but SSFCU also issues credit cards. Awful. And they aren't the only CU that does that. Nearly all Credit One cards are bad (beach scenes on a credit card is so 1990s).

Best looking cards (besides the obvious Amex Platinum/Chase CSP/CSR/Ritz) are USAA. I don't think many people have actually seen one in person because membership is so closed...but they are very handsome cards.

As with anything, looks are subjective. 

Will say, the USAA Limitless Cash Rewards Visa Signature has an exclusive look and the feel of brushed something?

Message 26 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 27 of 34
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Best looking card... 

Kind of fond of Chase Amazon Prime Visa.... 

Also Discover in both the Matte gold and Mixtape themes...

The Ugliest

Blispay .. the card itself feels cheaply made, and the white on white....

The logo looks sharp but the back of the card has awful printing.. and the numbers need be embossed in foil or even better orange... Someone made their blispay look sharp just by coloring the embossed numbers with an orange sharpie...

Both of my credit unions credit and ATM cards...(HFCU)

Not sure which is worse.. the metallic grey card with a swoop design and a poorly transferred embossing of the logo, or the ATM card with green background and white text..... Its as if they picked a stock design from ELAN and put their logo on it...Liked hanscom's old design a bit better.. also more characteristic of the bank... the black text on the metallic card isnt bad.. but its just another grey plat card... 

Also im mixed on MIT's new design for their ATM cards. Used to have a distinctive burgundy colored card with a photo of the main campus building... Now its a stylized modernistic rendition of the dome building... Might be growing on me... 

Message 28 of 34
Cookiegrabber
Regular Contributor

I have a DCU debit card and it feels like the 90s every time I look at it. There's a bit of glittery film on top that I'm not sure makes things better or worse.

debit-card-image-EMV.jpg

visa-platinum.jpg

Yeah, their credit card's not from the 21st century, either. If I end up applying for one down the road, it'll be because I love DCU, not because it's pretty.

Starting Scores: No Scores (03/2018)
Current Scores: 779 - 789 (08/2023)
Goal Scores: 780 across the board

Current Total Credit Limit: $109,900 (08/2023)
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 29 of 34
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I still think the designs of the now-defunct AmSouth Bank credit cards were quite nice...

AmSouthVisa.jpgAmSouthMC.jpg

These pics make them look purple but in 'real life' they were navy blue with gold marbling. 

Oddly, their 'Gold' cards (for people making $35k+ at the time) were rather plain; completely uninspired compared to their 'Classic' level cards.

I had their MC for around six years... right up until my BK in 2000. 

Message 30 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.