Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best place online to buy socks, tshirts, dress shirts etc

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Best place online to buy socks, tshirts, dress shirts etc

Where I live is very expensive, so I do not have easy access to more reasonably priced clothing for socks (athletic and dress), t-shirts, dress shirts for suits, etc. Anyone have recommendations on best place online for these type of clothing purchases.  

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best place online to buy socks, tshirts, dress shirts etc

Socks, T shirts, I consider generic and can be bought at Walmart in the store or on line at walmart.com.  Shirts realy depends on your budget: Burlington sells some for under $15, but some of my favorite stores are Macy's, Nordstrom and Brooks Brothers. It really depends on the budget and the look you are after.   All of these have online stores.   Speigel used to have a "road show" (not any more) where you could pick up top brand suits for $200 that were regularly $500 and up. I used to buy from them every year and take them to the alteration place after the purchase. 

Message 2 of 10
red259
Super Contributor

I wish i could buy good suits for that.
;
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good suits are not cheap  Good thing now is not many places still have high dress standards. Back in the  1970's and 1980's just as the small business owner I still had to have very nice suits everyday. I prefer a wool blend. If you stick to a good brand they will last for 15 years. I now just have one that gets used for church and about 1 time every couple of months for business. Is Menswearhouse still in business?  My favorite place has been the Brooks Brothers Outlet store.    If you are in job that requires a suit and you want to move up ie make points spring for 3 nice very good suits that  you can wear all year and two pair of wing tips.  Buy the best brand you can afford.  Even if it takes several months to pay them off. Also have a nice watch and pen/pencial set and optional brief case -leather. People notice.  If you have read some of my posts you may know I deal in Fortune 500 and goverment contracts. These contracts are opened ended for several years and involve hundreds  of thousands of dollars. Most of terms are emailed but the conclusion is usually in person.  When Dw and I go to the final meeting I always have my Brook Brothers suit, wing tips and a rep tie along with my cross pen set. I ooze successand so does dw. yes I know it very old school but it works.   

Message 4 of 10
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Good suits are not cheap  Good thing now is not many places still have high dress standards. Back in the  1970's and 1980's just as the small business owner I still had to have very nice suits everyday. I prefer a wool blend. If you stick to a good brand they will last for 15 years. I now just have one that gets used for church and about 1 time every couple of months for business. Is Menswearhouse still in business?  My favorite place has been the Brooks Brothers Outlet store.    If you are in job that requires a suit and you want to move up ie make points spring for 3 nice very good suits that  you can wear all year and two pair of wing tips.  Buy the best brand you can afford.  Even if it takes several months to pay them off. Also have a nice watch and pen/pencial set and optional brief case -leather. People notice.  If you have read some of my posts you may know I deal in Fortune 500 and goverment contracts. These contracts are opened ended for several years and involve hundreds  of thousands of dollars. Most of terms are emailed but the conclusion is usually in person.  When Dw and I go to the final meeting I always have my Brook Brothers suit, wing tips and a rep tie along with my cross pen set. I ooze successand so does dw. yes I know it very old school but it works.   

Yea I bought three suilts from Joseph A Banks and while they weren't the greatest they got the job done for several years. The problem is I wear suits full time due to work so at least five days a week, so it gets hard to keep them for a lifetime. 

;
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand.  What I did for years was come into the office wearing my  jacket then promptly hang on my coat rack til luch then repeated at the end of the day. Never bought anything from Joe Banks.  If you are having wear issues and have tried my coat suggestion then two options 1) go to higher grade brand or 2) what I did in High School it was a church school and we wore suit including coat and tie  mandatory style every boy looked the same  The knees we reinforced with heavy material sewn from the inside and the cuffs were also reinforced in the same manner.  No one knew about the reinforcements because they never showed.  My parents were loved it because they only had  to buy 5 pairs of dress pants for school per year unless I out grew them.  Good shirts are much easier to replace than suits. Let them take the wear hit. 

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@red259 wrote:
I wish i could buy good suits for that.

What I have done for suits in the past is go to a tailor and get my measurements. Then buy a suit that's pretty close to those measurements off ebay and have it fitted at the tailor. You can get some NICE suits pretty inexpensively that way. Often they will waive that initial measurements fee when you bring something back to be tailored.

For dress shirts, if you're just going for classic styles, Amazon has them fairly cheapif you're willing to look. You rarely find the latest fashions for cheap, but I've gotten some pretty nice Van Heusen shirts there for under $10.

BTW...walmart now has free shipping for online orders over a certain amount (at least here they do), so that would work out great for socks and such.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

For socks and t-shirts I suggest WalMart.  I really like the quality of Nautica dress shirts when you can find a retail spot that sells them.  I have bought dress shirts, neck ties and cuff links from CTshirts.com  He is a designer in London and he'll send you a magazine every few weeks with his new stuff.  They embroidered my initials above the hole at the cuff links.  Reasonable prices for custom fitted clothing.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

This won't help you with the online shopping but I buy my dress clothes at Burlington. There are different stores in my area and I've found that each store has a piece of clothing that I need for the whole ensemble on sale. I get Polo or Tommy sport coats that are $400 plus at Macy's for $40-$80. I get Nautica ties for $3-$10. Nautica dress socks for $8-10 for a five pack. Pants are $10-$20. Dress shirts are $15-$20. The trick is to go to different stores for different things if you want to get the low end of the prices I gave.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Burlington does sell some stuff on line. They were one of the stores that sold Botany 500 shirts.  I loved them but alas no longer sold in US 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.