cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to turn gift cards into cash?

tag
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Re: Best way to turn gift cards into cash?

I tried using a $300 gift card to buy a $299 money order at Walmart this afternoon. Very smooth transition! The MO cost $1. I guess I'll be clearing out all my GCs this week. 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 11 of 25
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

@masscredit wrote:

I tried using a $300 gift card to buy a $299 money order at Walmart this afternoon. Very smooth transition! The MO cost $1. I guess I'll be clearing out all my GCs this week. 

Wow, there you go!  The $1 would bother cheap me but, honestly, that's not bad.  And if you can spend that $299 using a 1%, 1.5%, 2% CB card, you are ahead!  (~$3, $4.50, $6 CB)  Smart!  

So, you make the MO out to yourself I suppose?  

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 12 of 25
masscredit
Valued Contributor

@ptatohed wrote:

@masscredit wrote:

Wow, there you go!  The $1 would bother cheap me but, honestly, that's not bad.  And if you can spend that $299 using a 1%, 1.5%, 2% CB card, you are ahead!  (~$3, $4.50, $6 CB)  Smart!  

So, you make the MO out to yourself I suppose?  

Things like that were mentioned in some of the posts I read. For the money orders, I'll make them out to myself then deposit them electronically. Something else I read is depositing a lot of MOs could attract interest to the account and possibly have it shut down. I'll split these up over a few accounts. Walmart will cash MOs purchased through them. I have to see what the cost is for that. It could be an option.

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 13 of 25
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Well... this isn't going as smooth as I thought it would. First, when you get a woman named Karen in customer service, things might not turn out well (no offense to any Karens here lol). I figured I'd cut down on the number of stops to buy MOs so I told her I wanted to buy two for $198.00 each. I then asked her to ring them seperate. She told me she couldn't do that. Seeing that I told her I wanted to buy two, she'd have to ring them together. Sigh... So I asked what would happen if I buy one then get in line to buy another one. She said "I have to ring them together". OMG... Okay Karen... So I told her I just wanted one. She rang it up, $199.00 total with the fee, I swipe the card, enter the pin then... declined! Karen was loving life then. She noticed my card and told me I can't use a debit card like that to purchase a money order. At that point I was defeated so I said okay and told her I didn't know that.  I had some errands to do so I stopped into another Walmart that was in the area. I tried again and was declined. I think the difference is yesterday I used a gift card that was purchased at Walmart. This one wasn't. I'll put that theory to the test by trying that one again.

Next up was creating a second Venmo account then requesting money from that to my main account. That didn't work. Can't use a burner number though an app. And finally, I read I can link the cards to my PayPal account then pull the money off that way. I just linked one. Waiting for the $1.95 charge to confirm the card. That will take a few days. Then I'll see if it works.  If not, I'll just have to suck it up and use them for monthly expenses for a couple of months.

Oh, I don't know if I mentioned this earlier, it was suggested that I could buy things then return them to get cash back. I haven't tried that but everything I read when I looked it up said they have to refund me the same way that I paid. I don't know if they would give me a Visa gift card or a store gift card which would be worst. 

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 14 of 25
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

@masscredit wrote:

Well... this isn't going as smooth as I thought it would. First, when you get a woman named Karen in customer service, things might not turn out well (no offense to any Karens here lol). I figured I'd cut down on the number of stops to buy MOs so I told her I wanted to buy two for $198.00 each. I then asked her to ring them seperate. She told me she couldn't do that. Seeing that I told her I wanted to buy two, she'd have to ring them together. Sigh... So I asked what would happen if I buy one then get in line to buy another one. She said "I have to ring them together". OMG... Okay Karen... So I told her I just wanted one. She rang it up, $199.00 total with the fee, I swipe the card, enter the pin then... declined! Karen was loving life then. She noticed my card and told me I can't use a debit card like that to purchase a money order. At that point I was defeated so I said okay and told her I didn't know that.  I had some errands to do so I stopped into another Walmart that was in the area. I tried again and was declined. I think the difference is yesterday I used a gift card that was purchased at Walmart. This one wasn't. I'll put that theory to the test by trying that one again.

Next up was creating a second Venmo account then requesting money from that to my main account. That didn't work. Can't use a burner number though an app. And finally, I read I can link the cards to my PayPal account then pull the money off that way. I just linked one. Waiting for the $1.95 charge to confirm the card. That will take a few days. Then I'll see if it works.  If not, I'll just have to suck it up and use them for monthly expenses for a couple of months.

Oh, I don't know if I mentioned this earlier, it was suggested that I could buy things then return them to get cash back. I haven't tried that but everything I read when I looked it up said they have to refund me the same way that I paid. I don't know if they would give me a Visa gift card or a store gift card which would be worst. 

You're confusing us!  You first called them gift cards.  Then, when asked additional questions, you said they were pre-loaded credit cards (I don't consider those gift cards).  So I had assumed you bought the MO with a pre-loaded credit card, not a Wal-Mart gift card.  

I was the one that suggested buying and returning.  And that's why I said find a store with a liberal return policy.  You have two ways of doing this.  Make a small purchase and return it.  Many stores will give cash up to a certain $ amount, regardless of how you paid.  Like Walmart.  But it might be low, like $10 so that's why I said it will take you a while, lol.  The other option is to go in without your original receipt.  I think they will give you cash and probably up to an amount beyond $10, but they may ask for your ID and limit you to only a handful of no receipt returns per year.  But be prepared for them to give you store credit instead of cash.

Did you look into how much sites like cardcash or raise would give you for your cards?  

I would just use what you have for everyday things like gas, dining, and groceries.  Smiley Wink  

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 15 of 25
masscredit
Valued Contributor

@ptatohed wrote:

You're confusing us!  You first called them gift cards.  Then, when asked additional questions, you said they were pre-loaded credit cards (I don't consider those gift cards).  So I had assumed you bought the MO with a pre-loaded credit card, not a Wal-Mart gift card.  

I was the one that suggested buying and returning.  And that's why I said find a store with a liberal return policy.  You have two ways of doing this.  Make a small purchase and return it.  Many stores will give cash up to a certain $ amount, regardless of how you paid.  Like Walmart.  But it might be low, like $10 so that's why I said it will take you a while, lol.  The other option is to go in without your original receipt.  I think they will give you cash and probably up to an amount beyond $10, but they may ask for your ID and limit you to only a handful of no receipt returns per year.  But be prepared for them to give you store credit instead of cash.

Did you look into how much sites like cardcash or raise would give you for your cards?  

I would just use what you have for everyday things like gas, dining, and groceries.  Smiley Wink  

They are gift cards. The amount was chosen when I purchased them (can't be reloaded). They say Visa Debit in the corner. I set them up with pin numbers after I registered them. Doing more research, the Walmart visa gift card probably issued by Green Dot. It works for to purchase money orders at Walmart. The other GCs were issued by MetaBank and serviced by Blackhawk. Those didn't work. I thought they were all created equal when I bought them. Didn't know it was better to have certain GCs if I had extras at the end.

I'd like to make the least amount of trips out to do all this. Getting small dollar amounts with a return wouldn't be worth it to me. $200+ at a time would be. I'll probably try it at a store to see what happens. Maybe Walmart, Best Buy or Target. Even if I only do it once at a store, that helps chip away at these. I haven't tried any sites to see how much they would give me but based on what I've read, I may lose 15-30% by doing that. I'd do it for 5% and would have to think about it if I was going to lose 10%. Won't give up any more than that. 

They might end up being used for everyday things. I'm kind of excited to give my new cards some use to build history and have two of them on the way to graduating so I rather use them first. The GCs might sit in the drawer for a few months. 

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 16 of 25
NRB525
Super Contributor

Do any of the VISA debit cards have expiration dates? The fine print I read on some back in the day requires a keep-alive fee beyond a certain day. 

I probably shouldn't ask, but you bought these cards?

If you are trying to put spend on your regular cards, you can do both. At checkout, ask the cashier to run a portion on one of the gift cards first, then the balance on one of your regular CC. This can also help you keep track of the remaining balance on each gift card, $100 GC being stepped down $20 at a time, rather than $23.86 then complex math to keep track. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 17 of 25
masscredit
Valued Contributor

It took some research and creative thinking but I was able to do this. I struck out with Venmo so I figured I'd see what I could do with Pay Pal. I couldn’t connect the cards to my PayPal account then move the funds to that so I started pumping out payment requests to the multiple email addresses that I have. For the first two,  I did the transfer, immediately accepted the money then transferred it to my bank. Then I started to let it pile up for the other transactions.  I did four more then requested it be sent to my bank. I then got a message that said there was a delay in the transfer that might take 24 hours. So I stopped for the day. I don’t know why this happened. I don’t use the account much so this might have triggered something. 

So for PayPal, there is a 2.9% fee - I requested $200.00 and received $193.75 after the fee plus 30 cents for the transaction. That $6.25 for each card more than covers my time and gas if I was driving around to different stores to buy money orders. But… I had to have a Plan B incase the PayPal option was shut down. Someone on another board suggested a local supermarket. He hasn’t had a problem using gift cards to purchase MOs there so I gave it a try. Each was a very smooth transaction.  I didn’t have any problem at the 5 locations that I went to today. They were all fairly close by so it didn't take much time/driving.

I then checked my PayPal account and saw they wanted to verify my identity and address so I sent them a picture of my license. That released the funds to my bank. All set! I used up all of the cards. A few have a few dollars on some of them but that is it. They’ll be used for lunch once in awhile. 

I really appreciate the suggestions that I received! 

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 18 of 25
NRB525
Super Contributor

Congrats on getting the cards cashed out!

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 19 of 25
RootDet
Established Contributor

Gift Cards to Cash

Hello,

With all of the Visa GC's I received over the holidays, wondering if anybody has a creative way to convert them to cash in the bank? 

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.