cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware Doctors who Double Charge! CREDIT DANGER!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Beware Doctors who Double Charge! CREDIT DANGER!

Hi, I had all kinds of Medical bills in 2013 that caused me to have a major Credit Disturbance. I fixed most of the problems, only one Ding (a major one) to remove.  

I recently visited a Dr for a cosmetic issue.  It was a Christmas present to myself for having come THIS FAR (Fico 9 Experian is now 706.  At it's lowest it was 500 in 2015).  I THOUGHT I had investigated the expense of the visit carefully by questioning the receptionist as to what the price of the visit was.  I cashflowed it Dave Ramsey style by paying $118 in cash the day of the visit.  This Dr couldn't help the skin issue I was visiting him about and tried to set me up on a reaaaalllly expensive option in the future (a Shyster).  I left the office and dusted my hands off, and pursued other options, ended up finding a MUCH cheaper one and proceeded.

3 weeks later, I receive a bill in the mail from this guy for an additional $65!!!!!!  It turns out that even though I questioned the receptoinist carefully as to the price of the visit, it was an ADITTIONAL charge to do ANYTHING other - than just sit talking to him face to face!  He inspected the area that I wanted taken care of, so that action - was an additional $65, which the receptionist DELIBERATELY DIDNT TELL ME ABOUT, and then zinged me later when I thought it was safe and I was done with them!!!!!

I put a horrible Yelp about this shyster online, about how he tried to throw me onto a very expensive treatment instead of just performing a cheap treatment in the office which he easily had the knowhow to do, and how he zinged me.  I'm going to have to pay the $65 or else risk him going after my credit.  I called the receptionist and chewed her out but that's not going to help my Credit if I don't pay this Shiznit.

So, BEFORE you go to ANY Medical Professional, don't take the Receptionists word, they are Liars who are colluding with the Vulture Dr to rip people off.  They are their lackeys and partners in crime.  Carefully study Yelp to find out what their real game is, and don't just look up the Drs name, look up the name of his group.  This shyster doesn't have anything under his personal name, the Yelp is under his medical GROUP which is Premeier Health Associates.  When I found the Yelp, there were others who had been ripped off, Double Charged and had written about it.  Had I studied Yelp and looked up both the name of the Dr AND his GROUP, I would have found this information and not visited him.  One mom was told her visits were $80 for each of her 2 kids, and then was zinged $250 for each kid 2 weeks later!!!!!! These "Drs" are Vultures, Ghouls and are Dangerous to Credit.  

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Beware Doctors who Double Charge! CREDIT DANGER!

Sooooo from your OP, I've learned three things: Shiznit, Shyster and Zinged 😄
Message 2 of 9
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Yelp first, Dr later. Got it!
Message 3 of 9
Kree
Established Contributor

Did you get a bill at the time of treatment showing the 118? IF so, you might want to consider consulting a lawyer about potential legal action against the Doctor. A medical license can be revoked for unethical billing practices. 

Edit: slight change of tone to text and added suggestion to consult a lawyer

Message 4 of 9
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Kree wrote:

Did you get a bill at the time of treatment showing the 118? IF so, you might want to consider legal action against the Doctor. His medical license can be revoked for unethical billing practices. 

No, it could not. Any amount paid prior to service, is just a good faith estimate. Oftentimes during procedure, things happen, additional services are needed, especially with exploratory services.

For example, a mole excision can be simple or complex. It may appear simple prior to cutting, but during procedure it's discovered that more complex approach is needed. What's a physician supposed to do...stop, ask you to pay, and if you cannot, just let you go butchered?  That is unethical practice, not getting paid for the work that was performed. 

Final bill is due after the services are completed and billing is itemized. 

The OP should read the fine print, it carries a bit more info than disgruntled Yelp reviewers  

Message 5 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Remedios wrote:

@Kree wrote:

Did you get a bill at the time of treatment showing the 118? IF so, you might want to consider legal action against the Doctor. His medical license can be revoked for unethical billing practices. 

No, it could not. Any amount paid prior to service, is just a good faith estimate. Oftentimes during procedure, things happen, additional services are needed, especially with exploratory services.

For example, a mole excision can be simple or complex. It may appear simple prior to cutting, but during procedure it's discovered that more complex approach is needed. What's a physician supposed to do...stop, ask you to pay, and if you cannot, just let you go butchered?  That is unethical practice, not getting paid for the work that was performed. 

The OP should read the fine print, it carries a bit more info than disgruntled Yelp reviewers  

This ^^^  

Message 6 of 9
Kree
Established Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

@Kree wrote:

Literally what all ethical doctors do for non-insurance patients. Anytime additional work is required a new invoice is generated and signed for. You see it much more in dentistry because few dental insurance plans pay more than 50% of most procedures.

The only exception is for emergency procedures where taking the time to get consent could cause negative impacts on the patient's health/life.

But I will update my original post to include a "consult an attorney" disclaimer, as only a licenced attorney can determine if a case is actionable.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Remedios, I could understand an extra fee if the Dr. had actually performed any Service whatsoever, unfortunately he charged $65 - for a Visual Inspection.  Whaaaaaaat?  Wow, no wonder people knock themselves out so hard to get an MD.  You can just literally create money from shifting your position in the chair and getting the patient to reveal the area that needs treament, and eyeballing it.  That's not cool - that is Double Charging.  Inspection of the area in question should be included in the Office Visit.  What else are we doing in there then?  Having Tea?  This is definitely Illegal. 

Message 8 of 9
Remedios
Credit Mentor

"visual inspection" is incidental to office visit charge and should not be assessed separately. 

Any procedure (successful or not) is not bundled with OV, and will be charged separately. 

If you're inclined to do so, file a complaint with your local state insurance commissioner ( even if no insurance is involved, that's still in their jurisdiction). 

If you go that route, request your own complete medical record, itemized charges and pay particular attention to office visit level they charged. The level is indicative of services performed. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.