Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bicycling 3,000 miles across the US! Yes indeed

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Bicycling 3,000 miles across the US! Yes indeed

Hi Humu and hubby! What an amazing trip for the both of you, and just a great memory maker! I've driven across the country a few times, and it's quite the journey. Safe travels to you both! Smiley Happy

Message 31 of 98
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Right now we're driving through NM with pretty high winds that are rocking the minivan back and forth, (my husband just saw a small truck get a bit unsteady with the wind), so will try to post a few photos now and hopefully post again later. I am not very good at typing on a tiny phone.

Photos from Natchez, MS and Oklahoma mountains

(ok, I am still trying to figure out this photo resizing thing- it does not seem to be working. I resize the photo and try to select it, and when I click on myfico photo icon, it wants to select the original photo, If someone could please pm me a step by step, I'd appreciate the help.)

Hey Bella, nice to hear from you! I am not a cyclist and I do 30 miles casually here and there, but I make it a point to my husband that we don't discuss cycling at all or he would talk about it all day (seriously) and probably drive me crazy, ha. I know his bike is a Giant with aerobars, and that's all I know about equipment ( all I want to know, actually, ha ha!) We have his supplies in our van, but can only fit so much in here with sleeping in the van most nights, so we've identified bicycle shops along our route if anything else is needed. He does 20 mph often at home on training rides, but he knows he will have to scale back and go quite a bit slower if he wants to complete 100 miles a day. We have 6 weeks so he'll only be cycling during daylight hours, and figures on a few days he may go 120 miles if he feels stronger on certain days. we'll have to be flexible based on how he feels each day.

Luckily we have built in enough time to do that. I don't really have an interest in talking about the technical aspects of cycling with him at all, because he would get all wrapped up in it and it would be too much for me, but I am going to do my best to be a great director sportif and support along the way!

The longest ride he has done before is 390 miles in 28 hours, so just praying everything goes well. He knows what he is doing as he has been cycling for many years, but I'm sure he'll be hurting badly and I'll do what I can to help. Massages helped a lot on the 390 mile ride! Smiley Happy

I really miss the Kudos button in the Smorgasbord! I can totally respect that (I love fishing but I zone out when my DH starts talking about different riggings or set ups, lol!) Sorry I nerded out on you for a minute! Smiley Happy The mileage he plans to put in is impressive! I am really looking forward to keeping track of your journey. Really, it is as much your journey since you will be traveling across the country too. Smiley Happy

Message 32 of 98
Anonymous
Not applicable

Morning everyone,

I included a few photos from the last few days- today we should arrive in San Diego around 4pm, and have decided to stay two nights in a hotel and leave Friday morning on the bike segment of the trip.

My husband knows of of a great bicycle tech guy in Arizona who can look the bike over before it goes out, so we'll be stopping there briefly this morning. Smiley Happy

Meet Pete, a friend from Muleshoe, Texas. He resides at the National Mule Memorial.

A few interesting facts about Pete and his mule buddies, who have really helped us build and shape the US as we know it:

Mules plowed the first sod for pioneer man.
Mules ground the first meal for pioneer man.
Mules built the first railways westward.
Mules pulled the covered wagons west.
Mules hauled the first freight.
Mules built the first highways.

Mules, 5,000 strong, fought and died in World War I.

Mules can stand more heat, more cold, and do more work, on less food and water than any other animal.

Mules are not dumb animals. A mule will not founder by overeating – will not injure himself in a runaway – will not allow himself to be overworked.

IMG_7750.JPG

Message 33 of 98
Anonymous
Not applicable

IMG_7752.JPG

Message 34 of 98
Anonymous
Not applicable

IMG_7754.JPGSorry about the individual posts- this photo resizer is not always allowing me to add more photos

Scenes from Arizona and then the shootout at the OK Corral in Tombstone, Arizona :

IMG_7755.JPG

Message 35 of 98
Anonymous
Not applicable

very intricate design on this beautiful bridge Smiley Happy

IMG_7758.JPG

Message 36 of 98
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hope awaits ahead on the horizon......

IMG_7764.JPG

Message 37 of 98
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Humu and hubby! What an amazing trip for the both of you, and just a great memory maker! I've driven across the country a few times, and it's quite the journey. Safe travels to you both! Smiley Happy

Thanks weedeb, your enthusiastic message really made my day! Smiley Happy

Special hello also to myfico friends musiclover and baller4 in TX- thinking of you as we went through!

Message 38 of 98
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Great Pics Humu ,have you guys hit the mountains coming into San Diego yet? Those are absolutely beautiful and it's so crazy how fast the climate can change from Hot hot desert 🌵 to snow then to sunny and 75 with a nice breeze

Message 39 of 98
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, Aduke! Yes indeed, we are going through right now! Just beautiful, I agree! Smiley Happy

IMG_7807.JPG

Message 40 of 98
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.