Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black Friday Shopping?

tag
chwebb1
Established Contributor

Re: Black Friday Shopping?

I'll definitely be staying at home on Black Friday. With the 5% bonus on online shopping with Discover this quarter, I see no reason to go shopping in store.

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 11 of 23
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@KoolDev wrote:

Oh i dont go out on "black Friday".  I stay in my Hobbit Hole.   I have found this.   My wife wants a laptop for for Christmas.  Figured I would have to spend about 500 but went to TigerDriect and found some in the 220's with Windows 7.  I hate Windows 8.  Might be a good place to look if you are looking for computer equipment.

I am with you there.  It is THE most user unfriendly OS ever.  It is just hard to find anything without it nowadays. 

When I got it I wanted Vista and they just don't sell it anymore.  And this was at Best Buy.

Message 12 of 23
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

@KoolDev wrote:

Oh i dont go out on "black Friday".  I stay in my Hobbit Hole.   I have found this.   My wife wants a laptop for for Christmas.  Figured I would have to spend about 500 but went to TigerDriect and found some in the 220's with Windows 7.  I hate Windows 8.  Might be a good place to look if you are looking for computer equipment.

Ooh, gotta look into this..thank you! 

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 13 of 23
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

@KoolDev wrote:

I am with you there.  It is THE most user unfriendly OS ever.  It is just hard to find anything without it nowadays. 

When I got it I wanted Vista and they just don't sell it anymore.  And this was at Best Buy.

+2, I HATE (x1000000) Windows 8 & Windows 7.  I've been an IT guy all my life (not professionally), but I think Windows XP is the best...I still have my old IBM Thinkpad that i bought in college back in 2004- had to replace the fan (bought it separately, installed it on my own) and still runs like a champ.  

Has anyone seen any good deals on Mac Pro/ editing equipment or Canon 5d deals online? 

Seems like I mind as well stay at home, just order things online i guess to avoid all the trouble. 

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 14 of 23
Mike_C
Administrator Emeritus

On a personal level - I don't leave the home.

You have to do a cost-benefit analysis of how much you will save vs. how much time and stress you have to deal with and crazy people.

I find it much easier to shop online, which is I why I prefer Cyber Monday. As well, sites like Amazon have had "Lightning Deals" since last week where you can get 40% certain items. Although one thing I wanted sold out in less than a minute, so you still have hyper-competitive shoppers online as well.

Its good to do some research, especially on your favorite sites prior or on Cyber Monday. Some stores will offer really good deals, but with limited supplies. But shopping at all the stores you want at the same time in sweatpants and your own chair is better than leaving the home.

Working from home is also better from a planning perspective as you can actively track your spending rather than getting hit by those "Such a good deal, I have to get it!" moments.

Message 15 of 23
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

You won't find me in the malls. I keep UPS and FedEx busy during this time of year. Something about long lines, crowds and rude people - sigh-
Message 16 of 23
Startome
Regular Contributor

@coldnmn wrote:

I guess it depends how much disposal income you have. I don't so I shop deals. I'm glad a lot of people don't have to. I'm just not one of them.

No disposable income here, so I'd weather Black Friday shopping to save 5 bucks, especially when 5 bucks is an average of about 7 meals or so.... Completely worth it =D

However, due to no disposable income, I don't shop. Therefore no Black Friday shopping anyway Smiley Wink

Current: EQ FICO 0, TU FICO 0, EX FICO 0 | Starting Score: 0 (08/21/2013)

Starting total revolving credit: $0 | Current total revolving credit: $1600.00

Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 3-4 TU Unsure EX Unsure | Most Recent: 8/19/2013

2013 Goals:
1,000.00 Emergency Fund
1,000.00 Emergency Fund, AGAIN
Mechanically Sound Car
Unsecured Card

Fifth Third $300
U.S. Bank Harley Davidson $300
Capital One Platinum $500
2nd Capital One Platinum $500

Message 17 of 23
Roarmeister
Frequent Contributor

@coldnmn wrote:

I guess it depends how much disposal income you have. I don't so I shop deals. I'm glad a lot of people don't have to. I'm just not one of them.

I don't think so.  I don't think your income has much at all to do with it.  Good deals can happen anytime.  What this is, is mass hysteria regarding "bargains".  50% marketing, 50% the culture of the masses suckered into a buying stuff they most likely don't NEED but buy out of a sense of getting a "deal"!

Starting Score: EQ 732 October 2007; Current Score: EQ 839; TU 865, July 2022;
Oldest Reporting EQ Account: 20.4 years; EQ AAoA: 9.9 years;
ACTUAL Oldest account 40.1 years; ACTUAL AAoA 19.3 years.

Message 18 of 23
enharu
Super Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
You won't find me in the malls. I keep UPS and FedEx busy during this time of year. Something about long lines, crowds and rude people - sigh-

+1!

I do most of my shopping online these days.

I did drop by a local Fry's electronics 3 years ago at 4am. Was just there to meet up with a friend and to see how *festive* things were. Wasn't interested in buying anything. Overall it was pretty orderly, but I suppose it's very different at other stores, such as Walmart. I think Walmart is too rowdy even on a normal day, so I can't really imagine how much worse it can be on a Black Friday.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 19 of 23
Irisa
Senior Contributor

Saw a report online that there are people camping oustide of Best Buy stores around the country already. Thanks, but no thanks. I'll just shop online. I just need to get my shopping list ready Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.