Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Board activity slowdown...

tag
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Just an observation

Totally not scientific, but it may be possible that we are far enough removed from the Great Recession, and all the financial problems that seems to have created for many people here, that the proportion of Rebuilders may be dropping? And if Rebuilders are less common, then the rush to add new cards to Build may be reduced?

The restrictions on churning bonuses has an impact I'm sure. 

Another unscientific observation, the proportion of "xx Bank shut me down" seems to be more common, where as 3 - 4 years ago the App Spree was popular.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 11 of 14
zerofire
Valued Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

Totally not scientific, but it may be possible that we are far enough removed from the Great Recession, and all the financial problems that seems to have created for many people here, that the proportion of Rebuilders may be dropping? And if Rebuilders are less common, then the rush to add new cards to Build may be reduced?

The restrictions on churning bonuses has an impact I'm sure. 

Another unscientific observation, the proportion of "xx Bank shut me down" seems to be more common, where as 3 - 4 years ago the App Spree was popular.

I think there is a combination of issues coming together to make a perfect storm. First it is approaching the end of the year which people like spending with family. Normal people and FiCO members are busy preparing for and sitting down for turkey on flambe or awaiting St. Nicholas to get himself stuck in the chimney on the way to more milk and cookies. Throw in the holiday shopping and there is little time to gawk at shiny plastic. Then you have the fact that it is 10 years since the 2009 housing crash. Anyone back then that filled a BK had it cleared at the beginning of 2019. By summer most people were out of rebuilding and are regular members of society. This leads me to another point where today people are more conservative in their leading choices. They are going to shy away from getting that new card. People will be getting their cards one at a time with banks encouraging that behaviour. In the end people will not be having streams of approvals any more.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 12 of 14
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

I stopped posting for about 6 months, only just recently posting again in the last few days. Primarily I was using this forum to help my credit rebuilding journey, and that journey has kind of flatlined for the last 6 months (scores haven't really changed, and I know exactly what to do to make them go up, but I can't really do anything about it right now), and so I sort of lost interest in learning about it.

Also I really enjoy learning about new credit card products and offers, and there just hasn't been anything new and interesting in quite some time.

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Board activity slowdown...

I'd been a member of myFICO a few years back mainly to get a hold of my FICO score. The forum was also of interest although I think I ended up posting only one or two comments or replies. In terms of the forum's lack of posts or activity in general as of late, perhaps it's because of the likes of Credit Karma with its VantageScore scoring model and consumer information in addition to the number of credit card issuers now providing actual FICO scores on a semi-regular basis; ones like Amex, Discover, Citibank and Barclays to name a few. I'm guessing there's now so much credit data that's available from numerous sources both in terms of scores and credit information in general the need for or interest in frequenting any particular forum is of less importance then in the past. That said however, I know I find some of the discussions in the forums of definite interest and value and am glad myFICO along with its community forum is hanging in there.

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.