Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bonus Points- Use them or Save them?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bonus Points- Use them or Save them?

I currently have around 300,000 bonus points across my cards. I am wanting to save them to use for a Golf Trip over to Scotland. Is it a good idea to save them up for that long? Do you save your points up? Do you use them as soon as you can? If you do save them, how long do you normally save them for?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Bonus Points- Use them or Save them?

@Anonymous wrote:

I currently have around 300,000 bonus points across my cards. I am wanting to save them to use for a Golf Trip over to Scotland. Is it a good idea to save them up for that long? Do you save your points up? Do you use them as soon as you can? If you do save them, how long do you normally save them for?

I typically have a plan for what I want to use points for, How far are you from your goal?

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

There's nothing wrong with saving them as long as you keep abreast of changes that might affect you losing value of some of the points.  For example, you mention going to Scotland (great idea btw) and it's possible that you might fly in British Airways to get three.  If you have saved up Amex MR points that might be transferred to BA keep in mind that come on Oct 1 those points points are being reduced in value when you transfer to BA so it would be better to transfer them prior to that date.  Just keep track of point values and you shouldn't have any problem.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would calculate and see in general whether it's a deal for me to use my points to go on the trip and how easy it is to book.

300k is a lot of points but if the trip is going to cost you a lot of points but cash is relatively cheap than I would use the cash to buy and use the points for something else

Something else being when you can get a plane ticket for very little points (eg 20k) but the tickets itself would have been 500$
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I would calculate and see in general whether it's a deal for me to use my points to go on the trip and how easy it is to book.

300k is a lot of points but if the trip is going to cost you a lot of points but cash is relatively cheap than I would use the cash to buy and use the points for something else

Something else being when you can get a plane ticket for very little points (eg 20k) but the tickets itself would have been 500$

It's all about the cents per point. Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.