cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand new to this, need help understanding.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Brand new to this, need help understanding.

I've been given the terms Gardening, Harvest, and a "Round" . I need help wrapping my head around these terms. Any help is much appreciated!🤗

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
unsungivy
Established Contributor

Re: Brand new to this, need help understanding.

Gardening is "tending to the cards that you already have" and not doing anything that results in a hard inquiry/pull to your credit.

I'm curious what the others mean as well...

SD - Biz -
Message 2 of 14
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've been given the terms Gardening, Harvest, and a "Round" . I need help wrapping my head around these terms. Any help is much appreciated!🤗

Gardening is when you don't apply for any new credit for a period of time. People do this to let their AAoA increase or let inquiries age off. Also if they are preparing for a mortgage, you don't want any new accounts.

Harvest, I've heard people use it when they are finishing gardening and will be going on an app spree.

I've never heard the term round.

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Gardening is easy.   It can mean you went on a recently app spree(Applying for credit cards in a period of time) but now you're going to cool off from applying for anymore cards for a specific period of time as to let your new credit cards age and put some distance behind you and the credit inquires you just accumulated.  

Message 4 of 14
NRB525
Super Contributor

I use the term harvest in the context of harvesting a sign up bonus.  

I don't have enough round tuits so can't explain "round".

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 14
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

Gardening is when you kinda put your credit in "Time Out" to let things age. This means no signing up for new accounts and nothing that would add a hard pull to your reports. Soft pull credit line increases are still fine though.

Harvesting I believe is in reference to going after sign up bonuses on new accounts. It could theoretically be used to reference "harvesting" multiple new accounts in a short time span.

A "Round" is what you buy all your friends with your new credit card to help in "harvesting" your sign up bonus! grin.gif

welcome  emoti.gifto MyFico!

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't forget to "poke the bear"

I think it means to ask for a CLI too often that could lead to AA or adverse action.

Thanks

Mark

Message 7 of 14
unsungivy
Established Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

I don't have enough round tuits so can't explain "round".

When I was a kid, we had a group trip to a guitar factory. The guy giving us the tour handed out wooden discs that had been removed from the body of the guitar, cutting out the hole in the body.

He explained to us that they were "round tuits", and now, we had each gotten a round tuit.

So, I know where you can find a stock... 😏

SD - Biz -
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for that. I appreciate it, all of this seems to be quite confusing and daunting!  

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I starting to understand things a little better. Thank you for this help.

What is an AAoA?

On average how long does it take the inquiries to age off?

My friend uses the term "round", or a "round of funding" and from what I can gather it consist of: approximately 5 credit/loan apps to receive funds, then the negatives get removed from the credit report, and then those two steps are repeated till the first decline. Then I believe it would be time to Garden.  

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.