Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Buying Visa Giftcard

credit card, sorry- on my phone and in bed. Smiley Happy
Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Humu - It allows it at any Target Store Nationwide.

The main reason some grocery stores don't allow it is due to fraud, someone steals a credit card and they know soon it will be cancelled so they use it to buy a giftcard which will take much longer to cancel for various reasons and Visa/MC policies state that consumers do not need to provide ID to match the credit card to make a purchase any store requiring ID for a purchase using Visa/MC risks getting their priceledges revoked. Only the signature on the back must match when signing.

This is why a lot of stores would rather not risk it. But larger stores like Target/Walmart/Vons/Ralph's/Kroger do accept credit cards as an acceptable form of payment when purchasing a Visa Giftcard they have larger legal departments who can file claims should fraud occur. And they would be fools not to sell them a lot of people will buy friends/family them as gifts and would prefer to put it on their credit card.

The card is in my name so I don't care much if they do request (not demand) to see ID for a purchase.
Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Humu - It allows it at any Target Store Nationwide.

The main reason some grocery stores don't allow it is due to fraud, someone steals a credit card and they know soon it will be cancelled so they use it to buy a giftcard which will take much longer to cancel for various reasons and Visa/MC policies state that consumers do not need to provide ID to match the credit card to make a purchase any store requiring ID for a purchase using Visa/MC risks getting their priceledges revoked. Only the signature on the back must match when signing.

This is why a lot of stores would rather not risk it. But larger stores like Target/Walmart/Vons/Ralph's/Kroger do accept credit cards as an acceptable form of payment when purchasing a Visa Giftcard they have larger legal departments who can file claims should fraud occur. And they would be fools not to sell them a lot of people will buy friends/family them as gifts and would prefer to put it on their credit card.

The card is in my name so I don't care much if they do request (not demand) to see ID for a purchase.

Walmart no longer accepts credit cards for the purchase of gift cards at this time. They require debit card to be used for the purchase, and their system will reject a credit card if used.

Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any giftcard or just Visa/MC/Amex?

That's odd because I just bought an Amex giftcard from them using my credit card 2 weeks ago at my local Walmart, it was a fully Walmart not a neighborhood market.

Additionally I bought one at my local grocery store last month because they had sent me a coupon for $15 my purchase of a $200 Amex giftcard minus the $5.99 fee for buying it still made $9 just for getting it Smiley Wink

I don't see a reason why companies wouldn't accept a credit card as a valid method of payment that's ridiculous especially when you're charging someone $5.99 to buy one.

Oh maybe you're thinking like the Netspend cards or cards that are reloadable??? Yeah I can see those not being able to have a credit card buy them because they're essentially a bank account it has direct deposit and functions similarly additionally you Can withdraw money from them...

I'm just talking about regular gift cards that you pay the $5.99 fee to get them for Visa
Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Any giftcard or just Visa/MC/Amex?

That's odd because I just bought an Amex giftcard from them using my credit card 2 weeks ago at my local Walmart, it was a fully Walmart not a neighborhood market.

Additionally I bought one at my local grocery store last month because they had sent me a coupon for $15 my purchase of a $200 Amex giftcard minus the $5.99 fee for buying it still made $9 just for getting it Smiley Wink

I don't see a reason why companies wouldn't accept a credit card as a valid method of payment that's ridiculous especially when you're charging someone $5.99 to buy one.

Oh maybe you're thinking like the Netspend cards or cards that are reloadable??? Yeah I can see those not being able to have a credit card buy them because they're essentially a bank account it has direct deposit and functions similarly additionally you Can withdraw money from them...

I'm just talking about regular gift cards that you pay the $5.99 fee to get them for Visa

Hmm, interesting. I really don't buy gift cards at all but I had two occasions recently to try to purchase a gift card: one for my daughter and one for a wedding present for a young man who used to work for me.

One was a Visa gift card, the other was a Mastercard gift card.

Neither the local (regular) Walmart nor the Walmart Neighborhood Market would accept a credit card as payment. The system/ register in both stores actually rejected the credit cards as payment (I tried two different credit cards), and accepted a debit card.

The store employee told me in addition that they cannot accept credit cards for the purchase of gift cards any longer.

I don't know what Netspend is but neither of these was a Netspend card or anything similar.

Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm that's interesting maybe different regions/state's have different policies? I did mine in California with no issues.

My go to place is Target which for years actually would allow a Target gift card to be used as a method of payment for Visa/Amex GiftCards. Now they no longer allow that but you can use Cash/Check/Target RedCard/Credit or Debit.

Hmm now I'm wondering if you could use a Walmart card to purchase a Visa giftcard Smiley Wink
Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can confirm Walmart issue in FL.  I tried to purchase two giftcards for graduation and birthday presents a few months ago and the register would not run the transaction.  I was irritated enough and called Chase while in the store and they said transaction never even made it to their side to decline, so it was a merchant issue.  A major supermarket chain also recently changed to no CC for giftcards as well as Dollar General.  Only merchant that will sell without any purchase method restrictions in my area is CVS. I'm curious if this is a regional thing?

Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

FLA - Have you tried Target? They've never told me no when using a CC.
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.