cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call all car guys (or gals, or martians)

tag
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

Call all car guys (or gals, or martians)

I have a car question.

I  have a 2015 Chevy Sonic with just under 49K miles that is used to drive back and forth to work, and a few errands. 

I had a check engine light indicating catalytic converter in 2018 at about 22K.   The catalytic converter was replaced under the emissions warranty.

I had the same thing done last month.

I am concerned that simply replacing the converter is treating the symptom and not the cause.

Why would I need to replace a catalytic converter approx ever 3 years?

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Re: Call all car guys (or gals, or martians)

A poor design.

I don't want to be unkind, but it's a cheap car with cheap parts.

Plan to replace it again in three years, or plan to replace the car before that.

02/01/24 Fico 8: EX 757, EQ 803, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 760 12/16/23, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 2 of 17
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

The 13-14 model had a recall for bad cats so it's possible they haven't fixed the issue. There's also the chance that it's really a bad O2 sensor, the one behind the cat specifically. The last, least probable cause, would be there's something wrong with the engine whether it's timing, fuel, spark, etc.

Message 3 of 17
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

The 13-14 model had a recall for bad cats so it's possible they haven't fixed the issue. There's also the chance that it's really a bad O2 sensor, the one behind the cat specifically. The last, least probable cause, would be there's something wrong with the engine whether it's timing, fuel, spark, etc.

@Brian_Earl_Spilner 

Would it worth having someone I trust look at it now? Rather than waiting for the check engine light to come on in 3 years.   Is it likely the cause could be found now?

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Message 4 of 17
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

@tcbofade wrote:

A poor design.

I don't want to be unkind, but it's a cheap car with cheap parts.

Plan to replace it again in three years, or plan to replace the car before that.

I agree cheap car.   That was the whole point of this car, I wanted to spend as little as possible as I wouldn't be putting many miles on it.  The plan is to drive it into the ground and see how close I am to retirement at the time.   Hopefully it will make it to retirement but if not plan on buying a used car that will last me the last couple of years I will be working.   At that point DW and I can go down to one car. 

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Message 5 of 17
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@MakingProgress wrote:

@Brian_Earl_Spilner 

Would it worth having someone I trust look at it now? Rather than waiting for the check engine light to come on in 3 years.   Is it likely the cause could be found now?

I would actually start by checking for recalls and looking online to see how prevalent the issue is, if it is at all. Something like "2015 chevy Sonic catalytic problems". Then I would check to see if they replaced the O2 sensors along with the cat. If they did and it's an emissions issue, you really won't be able to troubleshoot down to the problem. If they didn't, it's definitely either the cat or an engine issue. At that point having your engine checked and tuned will only benefit you regardless of it being the problem or not.

Message 6 of 17
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@MakingProgress wrote:

Do you know if it was an OEM or an Aftermarket replacement?  Do you remember the cost of the converter (not including labor)?

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 7 of 17
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@MakingProgress wrote:

@Brian_Earl_Spilner 

See if this trusted person would pull codes... or stop by an autoparts store that has that ability and willingness to do so right there in the parking lot.  Another thing too is to look through your paperwork and see what warranty comes with the replacement converter.  A higher end, more reliable replacement such as OEM or a higher end Aftermarket will provide a better warranty eg. 5 yrs/50k miles or there about.

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 8 of 17
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

@GApeachy wrote:

@MakingProgress wrote:

@Brian_Earl_Spilner 

See if this trusted person would pull codes... or stop by an autoparts store that has that ability and willingness to do so right there in the parking lot.  Another thing too is to look through your paperwork and see what warranty comes with the replacement converter.  A higher end, more reliable replacement such as OEM or a higher end Aftermarket will provide a better warranty eg. 5 yrs/50k miles or there about.

Should be OEM parts, as it was replaced by the dealer as part of the 8 yr / 80000 mile extended emissions warranty that came with the car. 

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Message 9 of 17
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

@MakingProgress wrote:

I have a car question.

I  have a 2015 Chevy Sonic with just under 49K miles that is used to drive back and forth to work, and a few errands. 

I had a check engine light indicating catalytic converter in 2018 at about 22K.   The catalytic converter was replaced under the emissions warranty.

I had the same thing done last month.

I am concerned that simply replacing the converter is treating the symptom and not the cause.

Please tell us the exact code(s) you are getting.  

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.