Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling all IT and Gamer folks! Need help

tag
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Calling all IT and Gamer folks! Need help

Whats the hottest tech thing out right now ? More importantly, whats THE thing to give to a gamer who is also a 13yro?? He has XBOX already, not sure which version, but Im pretty sure its the older version, along with umpteen games.  Looking to give an awesome gaming gift!

Im thinking about getting him the Nintendo Switch?? Thoughts?  Im open to all advice and suggestions! Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Np1791
Frequent Contributor

Re: Calling all IT and Gamer folks! Need help

@pizza1 wrote:

Whats the hottest tech thing out right now ? More importantly, whats THE thing to give to a gamer who is also a 13yro?? He has XBOX already, not sure which version, but Im pretty sure its the older version, along with umpteen games.  Looking to give an awesome gaming gift!

Im thinking about getting him the Nintendo Switch?? Thoughts?  Im open to all advice and suggestions! Smiley Happy

If he is a die hard XBOX fan then maybe the newest XBOX ONE X? plus some games. If he likes Playstation as well then PS4 PRO.

As of 11/28/2018
Message 2 of 10
Kree
Established Contributor

Virtual currency for whatever the favorite game is.  (assuming his favorite game has a virtual currency).

Logitech G-Pro headset for online gaming. (assuming his favorite game is online play).

Playstation classic.  (assuming he is 31 and not actually 13).

A large monitor or smallish tv (assuming he plays on a family tv and wants to play in his room).

A HD projector (assuming he has gaming parties with friend in person and that there is a blank wall in a basement).

Guitar smith and a guitar (assuming he is also into music).

Sorry fell out of gaming when my daughter was born, ran out of time to do stuff, but this should be a good generic list that can help you in the right direction if no one else has any better/recent ideas.

Message 3 of 10
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Was also thinking of AirPods, but he just got an older iPhone I think its a 5 actually, lol. His dad wanted to make sure he could hold on to it and not lose it before getting him a nicer one. I don't know if the AirPods work with the 5??

<Maybe I should just go generic and get him a new ipad mini 4 (sighs)

Message 4 of 10
jonnyc
Regular Contributor

Airpods would work with an iphone 5! I saw you mentioned the Nintendo Switch. Not sure if he is into fortnite but I remember seeing something a few weeks back about a nintento switch fortnite bundle for the holidays! 

Bk Chp. 7 Discharged 04/13/2018
Date of filing: 01/11/2018
Message 5 of 10
Cred4All
Valued Contributor

Message 6 of 10
Kree
Established Contributor

Thinking about it overnight, I think the biggest pet peeve for many gamers (not all) is getting gaming related presents that do not represent the gamer's interest.  For example, getting gaming related graphic T-shirts, when A. the recipient does not wear graphic t-shirts, or B. does not play the specific game the shirt is for.

Or,  being a X-Box fan, and getting a nintendo console (many gamers want all of the consoles, though, I once owned 17 myself.)

Or, getting a game that is a genre that the recipient does not enjoy.

Logic behind this pet peeve. 

A. the present will get 0 use, and as such represents a waste of money. People can't help but think "for 60 bucks I could have gotten X instead". 

B. The present shows a lack of understanding of the recipients hobby, which has a emotionally diminishing effect,  "I'm into XYZ, why did they get my ABC,  they don't understand me at all, they don't care about what is important to me." 

C. the present is of "cheap quality" when the recipient considers themselves a aficianato. I don't have a thought process for this one but as an example, would you get a Chef a 30 dollar pan from walmart if the rest of their kitchen is commercial grade cookware?

Message 7 of 10
Schwartzinator
Frequent Contributor

As an avid gamer and techie, I’d recommend a nice headset. They’re generally platform agnostic and those around may appreciate the absence of screams and explosions. I always recommend Astro’s A50 wireless headset to family and friends for those that want a well rounded sound with a comfortable fit. The Steel Series Arctis line is also a solid choice. I hear great things about their new wireless model!

Message 8 of 10
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Consoles for teens and older are old news and on their way out.

A gaming laptop is the real deal, now. Great bargains to be had on them. Do your homework first and get one that plays recent games in at least medium/high settings.

Message 9 of 10
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Kree wrote:

Thinking about it overnight, I think the biggest pet peeve for many gamers (not all) is getting gaming related presents that do not represent the gamer's interest.  For example, getting gaming related graphic T-shirts, when A. the recipient does not wear graphic t-shirts, or B. does not play the specific game the shirt is for.

Or,  being a X-Box fan, and getting a nintendo console (many gamers want all of the consoles, though, I once owned 17 myself.)

Or, getting a game that is a genre that the recipient does not enjoy.

Logic behind this pet peeve. 

A. the present will get 0 use, and as such represents a waste of money. People can't help but think "for 60 bucks I could have gotten X instead". 

B. The present shows a lack of understanding of the recipients hobby, which has a emotionally diminishing effect,  "I'm into XYZ, why did they get my ABC,  they don't understand me at all, they don't care about what is important to me." 

C. the present is of "cheap quality" when the recipient considers themselves a aficianato. I don't have a thought process for this one but as an example, would you get a Chef a 30 dollar pan from walmart if the rest of their kitchen is commercial grade cookware?

Following similar logic a year ago, I opted for a box of nice chocolates for an uncle over a more specialized gift.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/SmorgasBoard/Cheap-gift-ideas-for-a-80-yo-golf-business-lover/td-p/...

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.