Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camp/Glamp/Hike/Bike/RV? Your fav Adventures

tag
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Camp/Glamp/Hike/Bike/RV? Your fav Adventures

Just got back from a miserably hot camping trip.  The river is low, seen more alligators here recently than I remember in the past. A small one followed my cork/float while fishing shallow, the humidity was unbelivable, the water was so-so warm.  But a bad day fishing is better than a good day working so.....

Anyone else a camping enthusiast? How do you do it?

I love RVing and/or tent camping but when I do it's pretty much glamping.  Got the canopy tent that I sewed a secured opening into to prop the a/c. No power, got the free standing generator.  When in the motorhome I still drag my 3 canopies along (10 x 10, 12 x 12 and a 10 x 20), tent, sidewalls and set up for family and friends plus always a crazy outdoor kitchen to boot that we plug everything into the rv generator if sharing the same site or off grid. Oh, most importantly.... Don't forget the bar, even have a mini fridge.

What's your favorite adventure(s). I love camping anywhere near water so we can fish.  Fresh water we like to set hooks and go up slews or little lakes...but I don't like the taste of fresh water fish. Now in salt water we like to go offshore (gulfstream) and catch tuna, grouper, snapper, etc.... which I love to eat.  Winter/fall time we go to off road parks and always have a fire going. We carry the four-wheelers, side by side, and everyone has a truck they are willing to swamp just to be pulled out.  Lot's of spirits do this to you.

So if you camp what's your fav?  Where is your favorite spot?  On salt water/beach, fresh water lakes, ponds, rivers, set up hunt camps or to the off-road parks?  East Coast, West Coast, Gulf, Mountains?  Do you hike?

Would love to hear from my fellow enthusiasts how you rollSmiley Wink

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Camp/Glamp/Hike/Bike/RV? Your fav Adventures

I like hiking in northern CA...Humboldt County especially.

I can do tents but prefer a real bed and a hot shower after a long day hiking. I'll take a basic hotel over buying an RV for convenience, though. Easier to fly from LA into SFO or ACV and rent a car (or share a car a friend or relative has there).

Some fishing at a family lake house in Quebec but nothing exciting...bass and perch mostly.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 7
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@wasCB14

Oh yes, the bed.  There's no place like home.......I always sleep good while camping but our home bed is the best.  And I miss my tub.  We only have a shower in the rv which is nice and big but the tub feels so good after being away from it.  No place like home, I guess that's why I carry so much darned stuff with us.  I set up and break camp by myself for the most part, but that's my funtime to me.

Message 3 of 7
FieryDance
Frequent Contributor

Absolutely love RV, camping, hiking and biking. We also enjoy adventures such as Arctic camping, Antarctica cruise, road trips across East Africa safari, train ride to Tibetan plateau, or just general back packing.

Eventually I’d like a class B RV that we can do weekend campings in nearby camp grounds. But for the time being renting a class C is much more practical.

This is another reason I am very hesitant to jump into either UR or MR or TYP ecosystems. The type of travelings I truly enjoy do not involve luxury hotels and I don’t particularly care about first class flights.

Message 4 of 7
GSP_1
Valued Member

The kind of camping depends on who else goes and where I'm going. If DW goes, then the RV goes. If I am backpacking I will take my hammock or just a tarp to sleep under.

One of my favorite camping trips, I took a group of Boy Scouts on a week long canoe trip. We slept on the sand bars under a tarp and ate fresh food for the first couple of days then dehydrated food the rest of the week.  No cell phone service for 5 days, it was great to get totally away.  When we got off the water and got to a town everyone wanted pizza. That was some good pizza.

Message 5 of 7
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@GSP_1 wrote:

The kind of camping depends on who else goes and where I'm going. If DW goes, then the RV goes. If I am backpacking I will take my hammock or just a tarp to sleep under.

One of my favorite camping trips, I took a group of Boy Scouts on a week long canoe trip. We slept on the sand bars under a tarp and ate fresh food for the first couple of days then dehydrated food the rest of the week.  No cell phone service for 5 days, it was great to get totally away.  When we got off the water and got to a town everyone wanted pizza. That was some good pizza.

That's so awesome!

Some of my best camping memories were when my father, a scout master of my brothers' troop, would send the fellas home and then have us (me and mom) to settle in afterwards.  He had property on the river and the troop would build a latrine, cook site, underbrush and raked the area to where you could walk barefooted, it was a pretty sandy area. He had a green army tent that I can still remember that musty canvus smell. Every morning he had coffee percolating on the fire, eggs and bacon on the coleman stove, am radio.....dang! Take me back plzSmiley Happy

Message 6 of 7
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@FieryDance wrote:
Absolutely love RV, camping, hiking and biking. We also enjoy adventures such as Arctic camping

Wow!  Would love to have that opportunity, enjoy every adventure!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.