Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car Insurance Under 25

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Car Insurance Under 25

As my handle shows, I'm a student. Unfortunately I'm still under 25. Soon I'll be moving for work and will no longer be able to stay with my parents' car insurance company as they are regional.

Does anybody have a recommendation for car insurance? I checked USAA and their premiums seem on the high side (~$200/mo). I selected high deductibles and high coverage limits.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Car Insurance Under 25

I was reading an article on a FIRE blogger's site the other day that recommended using The Zebra to compare rates.

Also see if any accounts/memberships you have (or have access to) offer discounts with any of the popular providers.

Message 2 of 11
Np1791
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

As my handle shows, I'm a student. Unfortunately I'm still under 25. Soon I'll be moving for work and will no longer be able to stay with my parents' car insurance company as they are regional.

Does anybody have a recommendation for car insurance? I checked USAA and their premiums seem on the high side (~$200/mo). I selected high deductibles and high coverage limits.

Thanks!

Who told you you couldn't stay on your parents policy? Are you going out of the country or? Also is the vehicle under your name? 

As of 11/28/2018
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Np1791 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks!

Who told you you couldn't stay on your parents policy? Are you going out of the country or? Also is the vehicle under your name? 

Generally auto insurance is by state. I stayed with the same company moving from FL to NY, but I had to cancel my FL policy and sign up with their NY division.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Progressive has been the least expensive for me personally.  USAA was nearly 2x more expensive than Progressive with similar coverage.  A few nice things is USAA obviously takes AMEX for payments but Progressive does not.  Progressive gives a discount if you PIF for a policy and USAA does not.

Message 5 of 11
Np1791
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Np1791 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks!

Generally auto insurance is by state. I stayed with the same company moving from FL to NY, but I had to cancel my FL policy and sign up with their NY division.

Not entirely. It is depending on where the vehicle is registered. That is why I asked if the vehicle is under his parents names. I work for Allstate and with us the vehicle must be under the name insureds name and must be registered to the current state we are in. So if he goes to another state but the vehicle is under his parents name and is still registered under the previous state then he cannot get insurance in the new state.

As of 11/28/2018
Message 6 of 11
Kree
Established Contributor

Ironically, we can't make recommendations without knowing which state OP is in, because not all insurance companies insure in all states.

Message 7 of 11
Schwartzinator
Frequent Contributor

As someone also under 25, I feel your pain. I moved from Oregon to California and couldn’t keep the Framers insurance I had under my parents policy so I spent about two hours comparing quotes and settled on Geico—which I thought was the best deal even though they didn’t seem to care about the renters insurance policy I opened with them.

Well, turns out State Farm started getting really generous when talking about bundling multiple policies together. I now pay the same monthly cost (~$280/mo) with far higher coverages and an umbrella policy to boot.

Take some time to review all your options and discounts you’re eligible for.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Np1791 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Np1791 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks!

Not entirely. It is depending on where the vehicle is registered. That is why I asked if the vehicle is under his parents names. I work for Allstate and with us the vehicle must be under the name insureds name and must be registered to the current state we are in. So if he goes to another state but the vehicle is under his parents name and is still registered under the previous state then he cannot get insurance in the new state.

I just got a policy written in my destination state, and it will be in full force before I register the car there. (It is still under my parents name and policy.)

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Schwartzinator wrote:
As someone also under 25, I feel your pain. I moved from Oregon to California and couldn’t keep the Framers insurance I had under my parents policy so I spent about two hours comparing quotes and settled on Geico—which I thought was the best deal even though they didn’t seem to care about the renters insurance policy I opened with them.

Well, turns out State Farm started getting really generous when talking about bundling multiple policies together. I now pay the same monthly cost (~$280/mo) with far higher coverages and an umbrella policy to boot.

Take some time to review all your options and discounts you’re eligible for.

This worked out really well for me. I ended up going with USAA and with bundling (including renter's and umbrella) it came out only a little more expensive than the best rate from any of the big names for the same limits. Though I am often very frugal, the knowledgability of their representatives gives me a greater peace of mind.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.