Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car accident, how longs insurance take?

tag
Kirmie2010
Established Contributor

Car accident, how longs insurance take?

Lady hit my car on the 12th, reported on the 13th.  Just wondering if anyone knows a general time frame for them to inspect my car and then pay for the damages?  Her insurance is State Farm if that makes any difference.  (Ive got Progressive, they said if its the ohter ladys fault, her insurance pays)

Thanks for any info Smiley Happy  

I did ask the agents, pretty much the answer is........  We cant tell you or guess how long it will take, we need statements from both parties and then we investigate, once the investigation is complete, fault will be determined and repairs made.  Figuring its a generic respose as there has to be some kind of general rule for simple claims.

(nobody hurt, both cars ran after so no major damage)

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Callandra
Valued Contributor

Re: Car accident, how longs insurance take?

I got rear-ended almost two years ago; the woman who hit me had Geico and they called me the next day after the accident (or the day after, it was really quick and said how it was her fault and they will be paying for my repairs). They gave me my options for getting the car fixed. I wound up taking it to a Geico place (they have contracts/deals/whatever with various repair places) and then got the estimate after about a week after the accident. Then I had to make an appointment to bring it in and it took over a week to my car back (and the price to fix it was over $2k more than the estimate! Haha, the woman took out the whole back of my car) so it was about 3-4 weeks from the accident to get my car back. Geico paid the repair place directly; I got an initial check for the estimate and then the repair place filed a claim for the rest when the car was fixed. They also paid for the rental car up front while my car was being fixed; I never had to pay anything. 

Did you file a police report? I called for a state trooper and he did a report, not sure if that sped anything up. 

(Also, my Dad found a lawyer to go after the woman's insurance for "diminished value" so don't pass that up! I wound up with $850!)

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 2 of 6
Kirmie2010
Established Contributor

Police were called and said they did not need to file a report as there were no injurys and no major damage.  (he based that off the fact both our cars were still running with the hazards on and we both said they still drove and all of us said we were fine)  According to what I read, they were not required to write one and I am not required to file one based on no injury and minimal total damages and the fact the officer said no report needed.  I did file the report with DMV though.

Shes going to claim I hit her car which is funny, she ran through a stop sign on an on ramp into my lane and hit the side of my car with the front right side of her car. (like 2 feet back from my healight)  But to her, somehow, I hit her car and came out of no where! (you can see eachothers lane for about 300 feet atleast before her stop sign, I saw her, just didnt reaize she was going to plow through the sign until too late.  Smiley Tongue  So I am fairly sure she will be saying its my fault, but once investigation is over its going to be extremely clear she was at fault. 

I did finally get word back from State Farm.  (Progressive will do nothing for me since the other driver will be liable, I am dealing mainly with her insurance.  Plus the rep I got assigned doesnt seem to like her job or just doesnt care, it took me 4 days to get ahold progressive agent) they State Farm sent their agent out to the road today and she said I should hear back very soon.  So thats a good sign!  I am just tired of my car looking like crap and want to be sure they didnt wreck any of the suspension.

My damage isnt severe most of its just body and door damage.  Could be underhood damage (she buffed a layer of aluminum off my rim with her tire so guessing that hit pretty good)   But blue book value is only like 1800 =/  so I am hoping they dont total the car just repair it.  (99 ford taurus wagon)

Thanks for the info!

Message 3 of 6
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@Kirmie2010 wrote:

Lady hit my car on the 12th, reported on the 13th.  Just wondering if anyone knows a general time frame for them to inspect my car and then pay for the damages?  Her insurance is State Farm if that makes any difference.  (Ive got Progressive, they said if its the ohter ladys fault, her insurance pays)

Thanks for any info Smiley Happy  

I did ask the agents, pretty much the answer is........  We cant tell you or guess how long it will take, we need statements from both parties and then we investigate, once the investigation is complete, fault will be determined and repairs made.  Figuring its a generic respose as there has to be some kind of general rule for simple claims.

(nobody hurt, both cars ran after so no major damage)

Some factors that can influence how and when an insurance company will pay include the state you're in, whether it is a tort state or no-fault state, whether or not a claims adjuster will need to inspect the vehicle(s) .  Sometimes the insurance companies will try to assign blame, or a percentage of blame in an accident (driver 1 is 75% at fault, dirver 2 is 25% at fault) and if there's a big disagreement between them, it can drag on.  Since yours is, by your subsequent description, a minor accident, it would seem that it should be relatively quick to resolve, as long as there's no complications. 

A complication could be that there's no police report, even though the police said it was not necessary.  I know that, here in Colorado, one can make what's called a "counter report" where one simply goes in to the police department for the location where it occurred, and file a report at the records counter, strictly for insurance purposes.  There's no investigation, a records clerk simply takes the information, assigns a police case number to it, and you're done.  It's just for documentation purposes.  I suggest you may want to look in to this or something similar in your home state.

Message 4 of 6
Kirmie2010
Established Contributor

Thanks, will look into the police report again.

Still no word Smiley Sad

Message 5 of 6
Kirmie2010
Established Contributor

They found her at fault today so I was told I should be able to get my car fixed next week!  yay Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.