Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cash only?

tag
laz98
Senior Contributor

Re: Cash only?

we have lots of drive-up banks here.  i think they're going to be building one down the street, actually!

Message 11 of 47
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Ok, I gotta ask - what is a drive up bank??  

Is that different than a drive thru at a bank?

Message 12 of 47
laz98
Senior Contributor

@IOBA wrote:

Ok, I gotta ask - what is a drive up bank??  

Is that different than a drive thru at a bank?

LOL...not that i know of!  i just thought that was the proper term, drive-up banking.  same as walking in, right?  not just a drive-thru atm.

Message 13 of 47
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

Talking about drive-thru banking.  Has anyone ever noticed that some atm's have "braille" on it when you drive up????  Are they serious???  I live in Calif, maybe that is the problem.  Smiley Very Happy

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 14 of 47
laz98
Senior Contributor

@Imhotrodcrazy wrote:

Talking about drive-thru banking.  Has anyone ever noticed that some atm's have "braille" on it when you drive up????  Are they serious???  I live in Calif, maybe that is the problem.  Smiley Very Happy

LMAO.......im always thinking, WTF!!!  i can't believe they do that.

Message 15 of 47
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@laz98 wrote:

@Imhotrodcrazy wrote:

I've seen it in Tennessee, too. And it's on the driver's side (of course), which makes you wonder.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 16 of 47
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

I didn't have a CC until I was in my upper 40's. Made up for lost time, though. Smiley Wink I use plastic for everything and pay it off monthly. Cash is an excessively liquid aspect in my life. It just flows right on out of my wallet until it's gone. I'm much better with plastic.

Interesting. I think most people have it the other way around. Plastic is often like monopoly money, because the due date is in the fuzzy distant future.

It's a captivating topic what makes people spend money. On a morning show today, someone mentioned that you are more likely to purchase an item if you handle it, meaning if you hold it in your hands. I guess you connect with it emotionally then and must have it. And if you pay using a card, there's always plenty of money available of course. And when people get in debt due to credit limits they can't handle, their solution is more credit in the form of limit increases! Cash cuts you off and promotes good behaviour.

While rereading a personal finance book, I was reminded of the near universal feeling of if only I could get a break, my life would be on track forever after. Let's say you somehow got an extra $1,000. Soon you'd spending it on something you've been putting off, and then you're  right back to where you were before. There's just no way to get ahead with that mindset. It's like teenagers. You've gotta have that thing today and then some other trendy stuff tomorrow to be cool and in with the rest of the group.

Of course I'm not any better myself. If I could pay $200 to make my inquiries go away that'll fade in just a few months anyway, I'd jump on it in a split second. Not to mention a FICO t-shirt! If I were to drive up to the FICO building, would they dismiss me as a lunatic and order security to have me thrown out? I don't expect them simply to say cash or charge? Of course I have already dismissed the idea myself. My everyday circle of people may not know what a credt score is, and the ones that do may be hesitant to bring their personal finances into the open.

Still, every respectable book store and any tv news network or newspaper has a personal finances section these days. I don't know when it took off, but it could have happened at the time of the early signals of the meltdown that we all know so well by now. As for the hardship of people, parallels have been made to The Great Depression. A decade or two earlier, there was Mama's Bank Account about Norwegian immigrants in San Francisco.

I Remember Mama. "For as long as I could remember ..." And not to forget, "It's good. We do not have to go to the bank." Smiley Very Happy

(SmorgasBoard, from Smörgåsbord: Scandinavian meal with multiple dishes of various foods on a table.)

Message 17 of 47
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

my-own-fico wrote:  "...someone mentioned that you are more likely to purchase an item if you handle it, meaning if you hold it in your hands.  I guess you connect with it emotionally then and must have it..."

In sales, that's known as the "Puppy Dog Close". 

I did a stint as sales manager for an office equipment company.  I'd place highly upgraded equipment into customers' offices for free for several weeks, either as a demo or as something for the customer to use while awaiting the "backordered" equipment they actually wanted to own.   (We had plenty of inventory, and nothing was on backorder).

The employees would fall in love with that upgraded equipment and did not want to see it go away, ever.  Nine times out of ten, the original equipment order would get replaced with one for the upgraded (read, "more expensive") machine.

Just like when a kid brings home that puppy dog, and Mom & Dad say no.  If Junior can talk them into letting little Fido stay for a week or so, they now own it, whether they know it or not.   

They didn't want a puppy, but when they let it stay for a while, it's inevitable they'd fall in love with it.  And nobody's gonna take their puppy dog away...  Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 47
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@laz98 wrote:

@Imhotrodcrazy wrote:

I've seen it in Tennessee, too. And it's on the driver's side (of course), which makes you wonder.

No...actually, that explains a lot about some of the drivers I've seen in CT...  Smiley Very Happy

Message 19 of 47
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Yeah, I have wondered about Braille in some unusual places.  Gotta admit, drive thru banking?  Yeah, wtf.    <-----wtf does NOT stand for Wednesday, Thursday, Friday.

Anywho, today was day one of the cash for under $10.   We failed.  DH couldn't handle it.  His reasoning --- we pay the cc off, in full, every month which is basically the same as cash.  Smiley Wink

This is going to take some work.    See, paying off the cc is basically borrowing the money and paying it back next month.  Pay cash now is not the same as paying the cc bill off next month.  

I's gots some work to do!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 20 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.