Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cash only?

tag
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Re: Cash only?

Good thing then to pass the time that coming up on Encore West in half an hour (ET/PT; CT/MT already showing), Confessions of a Shopaholic (2009, comedy, 104 mins). A young compulsive shopper drowning in debt manages to snag a job as an advice columnist for a financial magazine. If you have no expectations, you just might enjoy this film. Smiley Very Happy

Message 41 of 47
laz98
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous-own-fico wrote:

Good thing then to pass the time that coming up on Encore West in half an hour (ET/PT; CT/MT already showing), Confessions of a Shopaholic (2009, comedy, 104 mins). A young compulsive shopper drowning in debt manages to snag a job as an advice columnist for a financial magazine. If you have no expectations, you just might enjoy this film. Smiley Very Happy

i caught it in progress today, it was pretty funny.  predictable, but entertaining.

Message 42 of 47
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

EQ and TU move slowly, period.

It can certainly feel so at times. In this case Discover reported Thursday night, EX was updated Friday morning, TU Monday morning, EQ Monday night.

I got really hammered by TU. 37 points, which could be 12 points for a new card's inquiry, 10 points for the Discover card reporting, 10 points for the card bringing the number of balances reporting up to 2 from 1, 5 points for the card's monthly balance exceeding 9%.

EQ was much nicer. Just 11 points, not 25; granted no inquiry, but solely from the three factors of the Discover card reporting.

The new card that I just applied for pulled not just TU, but EX as well. Bank of America.

Message 43 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

I thought the entire Credit Cards forums participants would have a collective nervous breakdown.

Been there! The worst is when you post "Why isn't Transuion updating?!!! grrarghdying" and someone posts "Because it was windy today". LMAO (while continuing with nervous breakdown) Smiley Wink

Now, I thought I'd heard that the $10 cut off thing was for credit cards, but not debit cards. Is that wrong? And in my experience with AMEX (I have the Blue Cash card, not a charge card) they don't report the total number of charges, just the statement balance the day it cuts. So, if I know my statement balance is going to cut on the 16th and I pay the card off on the 15th and then don't charge anything, it reports to the CRA's as a $0 balance. I've tested this and found it to be the case - once the darn CRA's finally updated, lol.

Could never go all cash - love my rewards cards! And just thinking of all the spare change and dollars that DH basically throws away from his all cash life style sends me into yet another nervous breakdown. He even sold a motorcycle last year, and put the $1500 in his sock drawer. Refused to let me put it in an interest bearing account! Every penny counts, and I find credit cards help me keep track of (and keep) every last cent Smiley Happy

Message 44 of 47
IOBA
Senior Contributor

The news blurb made it sound like it applied to debit cards being used as a credit card.  

I LOVE my rewards too!!  I struggle so much with paying cash and knowing I am giving up the points...but with somethings, I just have to.  Like when the gas station by my house had a cc breakdown that lasted a month or two.

Within the last 4 years, my experience with Amex Plat & Amex Gold were that they reported total charged for the cycle, not total due when statement cut.  As of last year, they were still doing that for my accounts.  (I use to pay them off weekly, always shooting for a zero reporting balance because I wanted to buy a house).  That sooo back fired on me!   Now, I make Amex wait for their money.  (My FICO is around 800, with balances reporting on Amex.)

And before anyone can blast me -- I earn enough rewards with Amex that it completely pays for the AF and then some.  I hope I would never feel desperate enough for credit that I would pay for it.  I hope!  I am down to an Amex Gold -- couldn't justify a Plat anymore.  Seriously thinking about dropping down another level, if I still earn points.

I might suck it up, give the points a rest, and try, really, REALLY hard to pay all cash for a month, instead of paying off the cc's weekly. (Exception is Amex.)

Message 45 of 47
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Smart management of the cards!

That's very weird, how they report your balance. My Gold card just reported the statement balance, no matter how high I got the balance during the billing cycle. I think my now-closed card shows a $64 highest balance. Smiley Very Happy

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 46 of 47
IOBA
Senior Contributor

My Amex has reported a high balance of 29k...and way back when, it reported a balance of 7k, when I really had a 7k credit (accidently double paid the card, shooting for a zero reporting balance!)

Message 47 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.