Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cash??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cash??

I know that everyone on this forum is mainly interested in credit cards, as am I.

However, I always carried a bit of cash (a couple of twenties) in case of emergencies, even if I never used it for months.

Now, I am rethinking this, especially in view of the coronavirus.

At least with credit cards, you can wipe them off after use.

How many of you do NOT carry any cash (PHYSICAL cash) and has this ever backfired?

I do not use  iphone "applications" and only would carry credit cards.

I would be most interested in your valuable opinions !!

Stay healthy, in any case.

Johnny50

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cash??

I always carried at least 40 dollars and then one time I didn't in January, I needed it. I had to do an emissions test and they charged extra for cards. It was a rare occasion but I still don't like paying extra for anything.

and I am really into Walmart and Apple Pay.

Message 2 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I go back and forth on this every so often. Every time I seem to not carry cash is when I end up needing it. I will generally carry $50 on me day to day, and will take $200 or so with me if I'm traveling for the weekend. 

Message 3 of 23
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

If I have cash, then I'll carry it. But I don't go out of my way to have it on me unless I know I'm going to need it. As for the cleanliness issue, I always wash my hands after touching money, regardless of the current conditions. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 4 of 23
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

I carry a $500 bill for Good Luck!  . .. never know, might have to spend itSmiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 23
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

You can not get the virus thru the skin. If you touch a surface and then touch your face. Especially your nose. Thats the transmisson to you. We touch our face many times a day not knowing. How many times a day does anyone use their knuckle to scratch an itch on your nose. Bingo. Thats where the hand washing comes in.

Inhalation is the other way into the lungs. Go breath on a mirror. The mist is water droplets we exhale. The virus lives in that. Thats why we wear masks. We lose water everyday just breathing. 8 glasses a day sound familar?

Back to topic. $20 sits in my console dept. in my truck. Its there in case the wifi is down at the laundromat. And I cant get the machine app to work. Yes no contact coin laundry. But I wear a mask in there with all the crap in the air. And you may want to wask your tennis shoes now too. It can live on them for 3 days from the lastest research. Washing mine today thats in a trash bag cause i work in an ER also.

Message 6 of 23
iced
Valued Contributor

I rarely carry cash day to day, and usually only take it when I know I'm going somewhere that only accepts cash. I do usually keep a little bit at home in a drawer along with foreign currency - probably around $50 worth of US and similar amounts of several foreign bills (CAD, EUR, GBP, CNY, INS, JPY, and 5-10 others). I will usually take the foreign currency with me on any trip to an applicable destination as cash-only is still a more common occurrence overseas, particularly outside of the UK/EU.

Personally, I don't like cash, but it has nothing to do with the pandemic. Cash can't be audited or traced feasibly, so if its lost or stolen I have little recourse. Credit, on the other hand, is much more secure in that regard. If anything, the pandemic has been good for getting more otherwise recalitrant people to join the rest of us in the 21st century and use contactless and app-based payments.

Hasn't backfired for me yet, as worst-case is if a place's system is down and they can only take cash I just leave and come back another time.

Message 7 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hate cash. While I am excellent with plastic, if I have cash I spend it. I used to take out cash when I went to a club or a rave so I would have a set limit on how much I can spend on alcohol and didn't have to worry about my credit card being lost or stolen but now that I'm sober I can't see a time I would want to have cash on me. If I needed it, there is always an ATM close by or a store I can use my Discover for cashover at. 

Message 8 of 23
SFLSpotter9210
Valued Contributor

I always have 2 months of cash on hand at all times cause you never know. Personally I have about 200-300 in my pocket at all times  💵. The cash that I don't have in hand is in my safe so I'm good. Truthfully you never know what can happen as for example the corona virus issue. 

NFCU Flagship 32,500 | Penfed PowerCash 8,750 | PENFED GOLD 12,500 | PenFed PL 20,000 | NFCU AMEX Rewards 37,500 | NFCU GoRewards 7,000 | FNBO VISA SIGNATURE 9,400 | Capital One Quicksilver 6,300 | Lowe’s 34,500 | Wells Fargo Propel 19,700 | Barclay Apple1k | Citi Rewards+ 12,100 | Citi Double Cash 14,800 | Citi Simplicity 7,000 | PNC Core VISA 22,500 | USAA AMEX 13,000 | Discover 19,500 | BB&T Rewards 4,500 | BB&T Bright Card 4,500 | GS Apple 6,000 | Chevron 2,500 | Fico 8 Scores EQ=764 | EX=775 | TU=757scores and CL current as of 04/04/24 AAoA years 24 months | AoOA=18yrs
Message 9 of 23
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

I don't use cash often, but if I don't have any on me, THAT'S when I need it lol. I find it helpful to have $20-$40 on me at any given time. 

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.