cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Sapphire Preferred - card physical flaws?

tag
BIFM
Established Member

Chase Sapphire Preferred - card physical flaws?

Just got my new card in the mail today (felt like Christmas in July!) and first thing I noticed is there are a bunch of grey..splotches..under all the lettering where my name is on the front as well as under the card number on the back.  Really takes away from a very pretty card.  

Is this common or so I just have some defects in my card?  Obviously won't affect its usability but if it's not a common thing I'd much rather have a card that looks nice as most of my cards make it to card expiration without needing replaced early.

https://imgur.com/3DYV1nP

Current Status: Gardening back to 800s - "high" utilization = 60 pt dip

Experian/Vantage 4.0 - 761 (7/2021)
Utilization: 28%, AAA: 8y 2mo, Inquiries: 1 Derog: 0

$156,000 Combined CL
Watchlist: AmEx Platinum, AOD FCU Signature Visa
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
unsungivy
Established Contributor

Re: Chase Sapphire Preferred - card physical flaws?

Mine is new as well, and also has them around some letters on the front, and some of the numbers on the back. So does the AU for P2 that arrived at the same time.

Seems like they just occur during the process.

SD - Biz -
Message 2 of 8
TSlop
Valued Contributor

Mine newest CSP is maybe 2 years old and I don't see any of that on the back, but on the front with my name, I do see a little bit (but not to the extent of your photo). I have to look really close to see it on my name. It's almost as if the ink bleeds when making it.

Message 3 of 8
DeadPanic

I got mine in the mail within the last two weeks and it looks exactly like yours does, so it seems like a comon issue that won't be corrected if you try to replace it.  I shared your disappointment as it is an otherwise attractive card, but agree that it doesn't affect the actual usability.

Message 4 of 8
BIFM
Established Member

Thanks for the input all!  Guess it sounds like it's going to just have to be something to live with.  Don't think I'd have cared so much if it was just a couple letters/numbers, but basically every place where there was a printed character has a big blotch under it.  Oh well, it is what it is.

Current Status: Gardening back to 800s - "high" utilization = 60 pt dip

Experian/Vantage 4.0 - 761 (7/2021)
Utilization: 28%, AAA: 8y 2mo, Inquiries: 1 Derog: 0

$156,000 Combined CL
Watchlist: AmEx Platinum, AOD FCU Signature Visa
Message 5 of 8
TSlop
Valued Contributor

You could always cross your fingers that the rumored revamp coming in August will come with a card redesign. Maybe a new card will come with a different printing process. Time will tell.

Message 6 of 8
AceTen
Regular Contributor

Congrats on the new card!

I got mine 8 or 9 months ago and do not see anything like you mentioned. My name and numbers are more eteched in than printed it seems. Perhaps there was an ink overlay but it must have rubbed off. My numbers and name are more of a whiteish or non color.

I looked with a loop and the little bubbles are present, but hardly noticable. Maybe they will become less noticable for you as well. 

Cheers and good luck!

"Chains of habit are too light to be felt until they are too heavy to be broken."
Message 7 of 8
TSlop
Valued Contributor

@BIFM FYI, I looked closely at my replacement after requesting the brand-new design released on 8/16, and I don't see any of that bleeding on this one. They must have changed/update the inking process. If those ink spots are bothering you, and you don't mind the new design, you can request a replacement.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.