cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cheap gift ideas for a ~80 yo golf/business lover?

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Cheap gift ideas for a ~80 yo golf/business lover?

I'm going to a birthday party for an uncle who's about 80, loves golf and business/investing, but who I've really not spent much time around to get to know. Any gift ideas for under $30?

I thought about a book on investing/business, but he considers himself the ultimate authority there, and he might think it out of place for me to be the one giving any advice (directly or indirectly). I'm also not sure how much time he really spend reading.

Semi-gag gifts would be okay, but nothing too weird.

Ideas?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Sandman771
Valued Contributor

Re: Cheap gift ideas for a ~80 yo golf/business lover?

It is a lazy way out, but get him a gift card to a PGA store in your area or a golf store. I would say buy balls, but I'm particular of the ones I hit like most folks and I just would rather buy my own stuff. 

Starting Score: EQ497/TU496/EX 499
Currently: EQ 620 TU 654 EX 627
in the garden since 6/16/2021
Message 2 of 6
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Sandman771 wrote:

It is a lazy way out, but get him a gift card to a PGA store in your area or a golf store. I would say buy balls, but I'm particular of the ones I hit like most folks and I just would rather buy my own stuff. 

Hmm...gift cards seem a bit too impersonal.

I considered a "practice putting on the toilet" gag gift, but I think he'd take it seriously, making it too weird.

Message 3 of 6
Moneyklutz
Frequent Contributor

What about personalized tee's or marker/divit repair tool?   Online sites to order are abundant and can guarentee delivery by Xmas for under $30 easy.

Golfed for years and never ever had enough tee's much less ones with my name (or even a funny name) on them.

Swing for the hills!

*edit..scratch Xmas!  this time of year you can guess where my thoughts are Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 6
Kree
Established Contributor

When I do not know what to buy, I buy silver.  You can get little bars of .999 silver for very little over the melt value, and they come with amazing picture options.  There might be a golf related silver bar, or zodiac related ones are loved even by those that don't believe in star magic.

Old silver coins cost a bit more per weight, but can be just as cool.  Investors love them because they are practical as well as ornamental.

Message 5 of 6
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Bringing some nice chocolate to the party. Not sure how much he likes it, but the rest of his family certainly does. I figure that's better than getting him something golf-related that's not of the particular variety he likes.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.