cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Commenting to people if you see them use a good card?

tag
PullingMeSoftly
Valued Contributor

Commenting to people if you see them use a good card?

Was in my Saturday cycling club ride this past weekend and saw one of my buddies use his Altitude GO at a cafe stop. I was in line a couple people behind him, but couldn't help myself, so I had to compliment the act. It's a little awkward, like I'm being nosey, but I pointed at his card as said "4%, right on man". He looked at me puzzled and then I said, "Hey sorry for noticing, but you used an Altitude GO card, good job buddy." We had a brief convo afterward and he was happy to talk about it, saying he just got it, etc. 

In a different situation, I had the reverse happen with a some friends my wife and I went out with for dinner. When we split the bill, my buddy saw me pay with my Vantage West card and said, "Hey cool a yellow credit card, whats that for?" Without getting too nerdy I told him it gives me 5% back, then looked at his card and could see it was a WF Active Cash. I feigned ignorance and said, "Right on, what's your card?" He said he didn't know it's just what WF sent him. Lol, I then caved and said "Oh that's Active Cash, so you're getting 2%, nice!". He's way wealthier than me and said he doesn't care too much about what card he uses. Made for an interesting dinner convo though.

Anyone have experiences with either commenting to others or being asked about credit cards in social situations?

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Commenting to people if you see them use a good card?

That's pretty funny!  I love that your a walking-talking marketing campaign.  I've had friends ask me questions about credit, which card would be best to get next or use which one for X purchase...but I can't say it's come up over dinner.  

All those points and % back add up...

Message 2 of 29
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

I work retail and swipe people's cards all day. I see wallets full of cards yet probably 75% of people use their debit cards. I want to comment all of the time about better earnings but it certainly is not my place at work. The only time I bring it up is when someone tries to swipe their physical Apple Card. I'm always like "You know we take Apple Pay, right? Why not earn the extra cash back and use it that way?" I ALWAYS get a blank stare because they have no idea what I'm even talking about. I don't think that the vast majority of people even know what their reward structures entail. 

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 3 of 29
James3
Contributor

My FNBO card used to have a background image that looked like water beaded up on a car. I got a lot of compliments on the card's appearance, usually from cashiers and occassionally from friends. I tended to use the card more because I liked the attention. I'm well past that stage of life now, though I have to admit it would be nice to have people say "Wow, you have that card?"

FNBO Evergreen
GM Copper Card
Wells Fargo Signature
Bank of America Customized Cash Rewards
Citi Double Cash
Wells Fargo BILT
Message 4 of 29
Traveler101
Established Contributor

@PullingMeSoftly wrote:

Was in my Saturday cycling club ride this past weekend and saw one of my buddies use his Altitude GO at a cafe stop. I was in line a couple people behind him, but couldn't help myself, so I had to compliment the act. It's a little awkward, like I'm being nosey, but I pointed at his card as said "4%, right on man". He looked at me puzzled and then I said, "Hey sorry for noticing, but you used an Altitude GO card, good job buddy." We had a brief convo afterward and he was happy to talk about it, saying he just got it, etc. 

In a different situation, I had the reverse happen with a some friends my wife and I went out with for dinner. When we split the bill, my buddy saw me pay with my Vantage West card and said, "Hey cool a yellow credit card, whats that for?" Without getting too nerdy I told him it gives me 5% back, then looked at his card and could see it was a WF Active Cash. I feigned ignorance and said, "Right on, what's your card?" He said he didn't know it's just what WF sent him. Lol, I then caved and said "Oh that's Active Cash, so you're getting 2%, nice!". He's way wealthier than me and said he doesn't care too much about what card he uses. Made for an interesting dinner convo though.

Anyone have experiences with either commenting to others or being asked about credit cards in social situations?

I've seen people with Navy cards. It usually brings up a conversation. One thing everyone I've ever seen with a Navy card professes their love for them.

Message 5 of 29
Gunnerboy
Frequent Contributor

@PullingMeSoftly wrote:

My coworker and I were paying for our meals. She whipped out her fresh, clean-looking Freedom Flex, and I cooed: "Nice card, three-percent cash back on dining!"  She responded that she didn't know that.  Turns out, she is merely an AU on the many cards she rotates through her purse.

"Not everyone who helps you is a friend, and not everyone who challenges you is an enemy."
Message 6 of 29
BearsCubsOtters
Frequent Contributor

If anything I am the opposite. LOL. I school my friends and family anytime I see them use a debit card (what? you don't like rewards?) or a substandard card. This guy at work has been using an MGM card and it makes me cringe.

In a similar situation, I saw a woman pay with her Mission Lane Visa at Walmart yesterday. I did not say anything of course but I enjoyed a silent "I-know-you-have-bad-credit-and-am-surprised-$208-was-approved-on-it" kind of look. What an odd, outdated design that Mission Lane card has while we are on the subject. 

Message 7 of 29
cws-21
Established Contributor

I have had two friends, in two different states and at two different times, use an Amex Blue Cash Preferred at...a restaurant! One didn't even know he could get cash back using it for groceries. I cringed (and still do a little).

Message 8 of 29
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

I don't say anything because it will probably be awkward and there's a good chance that you'll make the other person feel bad or stupid. 

Message 9 of 29
TheRedHat
Established Contributor

I don't say anything. I just observe and make a mental note. I realize that the people on these forums are in an extremely small minority.

Last update: 4/8/2024
Chopping Block:

Goal Cards
Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.