cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Commenting to people if you see them use a good card?

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Commenting to people if you see them use a good card?

@sccredit wrote:

I don't get in anyone else's business. Whether what card they use or if they are strictly debit or cash even. It is none of my business. A lot of people have absolutely no interest in rewards. Some are strictly debit or cash because of bad credit or that is how they control their spending. I also quit judging if someone else's card is declined as I had a run about 5 years ago with AMEX where my Platinum would get declined every third charge or so, even with no balance. 

Right, and there is also the possibility of feeling (even internally) wrongly superior.  For all we know it's "I don't have the time or inclination to worry about whether I am getting 0%, 1% or 5% on this small transaction.  I'm too busy thinking about my foreign exchange futures transactions netting me $100K this afternoon!"   i.e. what seems important to us might be in the noise for others.

Message 21 of 29
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Yes.  Extremely small like 0.1 % of the U.S. population.  That is conservative percentage too using 305,000 of Total Members.   

I gave a coworker a card to pickup breakfast for a few of us.

She handed the card back to me and said "this is neat but feels heavy."

I said yeah, it's the Savor card,  which gets 4% back on dining.

She and the other coworker looked blankly at me.

"Let's eat!" I said.

Message 22 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NoMoreE46 wrote:

Yes.  Extremely small like 0.1 % of the U.S. population.  That is conservative percentage too using 305,000 of Total Members.   

I gave a coworker a card to pickup breakfast for a few of us.

She handed the card back to me and said "this is neat but feels heavy."

I said yeah, it's the Savor card,  which gets 4% back on dining.

She and the other coworker looked blankly at me.

"Let's eat!" I said.

The comment about "noise" is a good one!

Back in the 1970s you could sashe around with your cards and act of "societal status" and people handled your cards (gave comments then too).

Today, there are so many issuers, card types and the fact we very seldom surrender our cards to others that it is virtually a non issue. People don't think about it.

Just sayin ... Smiley Surprised

Message 23 of 29
Lou-natic
Established Contributor

The only time I bring it up is if someone else brings it up first, or if I know the person has a card for a specific purpose and I know they could have a better card...same rewards but no AF or something like that I might give a little quip about "you should check out so and so card you might like it" and that's that unless they engage back. 

For some reason personal finance in this country is a third rail topic. In reality it shouldn't be that way, we should all be trying to help each other as much as possible. Banks are not our friends, they are for profit and should be treated accordingly. Of course banks love the situation as they make a lot of money from people's poor credit decisions. And people are conditioned to think that they shouldn't talk about it and since nobody talks about it...they profit even more. I honestly beleive that credit education doesn't exist because banks don't want it to. Outside of generic "Doing these 5 things could boost your credit" articles that every website/newspaper/blog puts out that aren't actually helpful at all there isn't any hard information available and this is one of the few places on the internet where you can actually learn about credit.

That's what makes this forum so special.

What is really scary though is how much things are still secret. I have read the FICO Q&A here on the forums and still it was full of generic answers and all together non-answers. I mean it is useful to read and there are some answers but overall I was pretty let down. They really don't want to tell people how things are done. Information is power and keeping it from you keeps them powerful. Honestly if the Government cared (lol) they would step in and make these companies give us the knowledge they use to lord over us. But these companies have lobbiest to keep that from happening. So we have to crowd-source a lot of things still.

3/3/24
Message 24 of 29
CreditCharmer
Regular Contributor

@PullingMeSoftly wrote:

Was in my Saturday cycling club ride this past weekend and saw one of my buddies use his Altitude GO at a cafe stop. I was in line a couple people behind him, but couldn't help myself, so I had to compliment the act. It's a little awkward, like I'm being nosey, but I pointed at his card as said "4%, right on man". He looked at me puzzled and then I said, "Hey sorry for noticing, but you used an Altitude GO card, good job buddy." We had a brief convo afterward and he was happy to talk about it, saying he just got it, etc. 

In a different situation, I had the reverse happen with a some friends my wife and I went out with for dinner. When we split the bill, my buddy saw me pay with my Vantage West card and said, "Hey cool a yellow credit card, whats that for?" Without getting too nerdy I told him it gives me 5% back, then looked at his card and could see it was a WF Active Cash. I feigned ignorance and said, "Right on, what's your card?" He said he didn't know it's just what WF sent him. Lol, I then caved and said "Oh that's Active Cash, so you're getting 2%, nice!". He's way wealthier than me and said he doesn't care too much about what card he uses. Made for an interesting dinner convo though.

Anyone have experiences with either commenting to others or being asked about credit cards in social situations?

It definitely has the potential to be awkward, but I totally get it.  I'd comment on a card and I'm happy to converse about a card that catches someone's eye.  

The simple fact that My Amex Everyday Rewards card is clear would spark conversation in the supermarket, retail stores etc.  

A few ppl had no idea it was an Amex.  Who knows what will connect you and a total stranger.  Lol 

Credit is a lot like a Reputation....It takes 20 years to build it and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, and you will do things differently.

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 25 of 29
blossom_rebuilding
Regular Contributor

@PullingMeSoftly wrote:

Was in my Saturday cycling club ride this past weekend and saw one of my buddies use his Altitude GO at a cafe stop. I was in line a couple people behind him, but couldn't help myself, so I had to compliment the act. It's a little awkward, like I'm being nosey, but I pointed at his card as said "4%, right on man". He looked at me puzzled and then I said, "Hey sorry for noticing, but you used an Altitude GO card, good job buddy." We had a brief convo afterward and he was happy to talk about it, saying he just got it, etc. 

In a different situation, I had the reverse happen with a some friends my wife and I went out with for dinner. When we split the bill, my buddy saw me pay with my Vantage West card and said, "Hey cool a yellow credit card, whats that for?" Without getting too nerdy I told him it gives me 5% back, then looked at his card and could see it was a WF Active Cash. I feigned ignorance and said, "Right on, what's your card?" He said he didn't know it's just what WF sent him. Lol, I then caved and said "Oh that's Active Cash, so you're getting 2%, nice!". He's way wealthier than me and said he doesn't care too much about what card he uses. Made for an interesting dinner convo though.

Anyone have experiences with either commenting to others or being asked about credit cards in social situations?

Kind of a non-story on my Altitude GO; was having lunch with a friend last week; I used the Altitude Go when we split the check, and she gave it this very puzzled look. I think it's because U.S. Bank doesn't have a presence where we live (Maryland) and she probably hadn't seen it before. At bright red, it definitely stood out, but she didn't ask any questions about it. If she had, I would have LOVED to expound on its benefits, but it's not something I would just do out of nowhere. Lunch passed with no discussion of credit card rewards (and no, I didn't even notice what kind of card my friend used). I myself only knew about the Altitude Go because of this forum, and it's now one of my favorite cards. So, really, this is the only place where I can engage in my credit card hobby madness Smiley Happy

Message 26 of 29
Itgem679
Regular Contributor

@Anonymalous wrote:

@blossom_rebuilding wrote:

One thing I miss about the Marvel card is the near universal "this card is so cool!" comment I would get in restaurants at the Captain America shield design. It's the only time I've ever had anyone comment on a card. I think it would probably take some kind of pop culture reference to get me to ever comment on someone else's. I don't think I've ever noticed anyone else's cards, myself.

Amazon truly missed the boat with Rings of Power. They should have released a limited time edition of the Amazon Prime card with a balrog.

Omg I would love that!

Gardening until 2023. Current scores (11/2022): Ex: 757 Eq: 757 Tu: 757
CLs: (As of 12/2022)
First Tech World Mastercard: $10k
American Express: $1K
AAdvantage: $2.8K
Wells Fargo Platinum: $4.6K
Discover It (blue): $4.5K
Discover It (red): $4.5K
~6 other cards with limits under $2K
Auth'd user on 1 Capital One card.
All balances stay under 5%.
Message 27 of 29
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Hah, I have another theory.

Her puzzlement was not because your card was issued by a top ten bank that she isn't aware of.   

The orientation of most cards are landscape.  I think your friend was caught off guard by the GO card being portrait....

Also, shame on you for not noting her card.  Smiley Very Happy  You need to be demoted.

@blossom_rebuilding wrote:

Kind of a non-story on my Altitude GO; was having lunch with a friend last week; I used the Altitude Go when we split the check, and she gave it this very puzzled look. I think it's because U.S. Bank doesn't have a presence where we live (Maryland) and she probably hadn't seen it before. At bright red, it definitely stood out, but she didn't ask any questions about it. If she had, I would have LOVED to expound on its benefits, but it's not something I would just do out of nowhere. Lunch passed with no discussion of credit card rewards (and no, I didn't even notice what kind of card my friend used). I myself only knew about the Altitude Go because of this forum, and it's now one of my favorite cards. So, really, this is the only place where I can engage in my credit card hobby madness Smiley Happy

Message 28 of 29
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

My best friend doesn't care about rewards as make enough where several thousand a year is nothing to him.  He uses his Amex Platinum (trying for the centurion card currently) for everything.  Then cashes out MR's not for travel just for whatever so less than 1 CPP.  We are just a different crowd here.  Yet he admits he wants the Black/Centurion card even though steep initial fee and AF just because he can and admits it is a status thing.  Different stokes for different folks.  So he is somewhat credit savoy knowing what the centurion card is, but doesn't care about rewards.

Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.