Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coronavirus

tag
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Coronavirus

This has been so blown out of proportion, it's ridiculous. CDC requires something like a 7.3% mortality rate for something to be considered an epidemic and yet, at 3.4%, this is being claimed to be an epidemic. The flu is being estimated to kill between 20-52k in the u.s. alone this season, yet nobody is batting an eye. Just like they don't every year. 

Message 91 of 191
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Visa Trip Cancellation Insurance and Coronavirus

@kerplunk wrote:

American Express has posted a FAQ regarding this exact question!

1. I want to cancel my travel plans because I'm afraid to travel due to the Coronavirus. Am I covered?

The Trip Cancellation and Interruption Insurance benefit covers specified Covered Losses. Fear of traveling due to sickness, epidemic, or pandemic (such as the Coronavirus) is not a Covered Loss under your American Express Trip Cancellation and Interruption Insurance benefit.

Chase Sapphire Reserve's guide to benefits states that “your disinclination to travel due to an epidemic or pandemic” is not covered by its trip cancellation and trip interruption.

I guess I answered my own question.

Guess that makes sense as otherwise it would get rather complicated for insurers to decide. e.g. last year "There is Ebola epidemic in DRC, and I am going to France, but it could spread....!"  

Message 92 of 191
iced
Valued Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

This has been so blown out of proportion, it's ridiculous. CDC requires something like a 7.3% mortality rate for something to be considered an epidemic and yet, at 3.4%, this is being claimed to be an epidemic. The flu is being estimated to kill between 20-52k in the u.s. alone this season, yet nobody is batting an eye. Just like they don't every year. 

Even 3.4 is exhaggerated when demographics are broken out:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

Unless you're a Boomer or have existing health problems, COVID's really no more dangerous than the flu. Course, scared people gonna be scared because that's what scared people do.

Message 93 of 191
SarahJo
Established Contributor

@ACW3rdIM wrote:

If I may ask this here (mods, if I should post this as its own thread, I'm happy to delete this and repost elsewhere), out of curiosity, do credit card companies adjust their approval/rejection criteria or algorithms or whatever based on what's happening in the news? I wouldn't be surprised if the number of applications for more travel-oriented cards and/or the co-branded airline and hotel cards among the various issuers was about to hit an all time low, or if the number of applications for cards geared more toward day-to-day use on things like groceries was surging.

My favorite avaition and travel podcasts I listen to have all opined over the last several days that the coronavirus will be catastrophic for the travel industry, and that we're already seeing airlines and cruise operators start to panic because sales are WAY down. Just made me wonder if card issuers might, in the upcoming weeks to months, be BEGGING people to apply for, say, the high annual fee airline card (because absolutely nobody is gonna want to fly) and it'll therefore be easier to acquire one if you need it, but at the same time they WON'T want to be approving a lot of zero- or low-AF cards with multipliers on stuff like gasoline and groceries (including toilet paper and hand sanitizer).

Or I may have it backward. Anyone?

I wouldn't say it's the "news," per se that FI policies are adjusted as result, but "financial climate."  The international market reaction to the corona has been brewing, and is here, but strongly considers the future/projected profit or loss.  I feel that, for credit issuers, an adjustment is being made to more conservative policy due to lowering interest rates, Brexit/political climate yada yada, and people are predicting a recession at varying degrees.  

Corona is a factor, the travel FI community is being affected as we speak, and there are talks of tax relief or something of the like so that these companies feel it less.  Ticket prices dip a bit and travel deals due to supply and demand? Probably. As for credit card approvals?  My answer is "maybe," but I do not feel it will be as specific as you're thinking.  "The only thing that stays the same is that everything changes," and while this is indeed a big "news" story, a lot more goes into CC policy than epidemic to create an instant response as clear as "push higher AF travel cards for quick profit margins."  I would say this would trade one financial disaster for another, if those who normally would not qualify are approved and then default for example. 

As said on here often, those of us that have such a keen interest in credit and maximizing CC value are a small sample of the FI world overall.  And these FI's don't have all their eggs in one basket, not these days.  But! if the repercussions of "news" like this were predictable then we would all be comfortably retired! 

Present Day...Equifax: ???, TransUnion: 777, Experian: 781
Sept. 2016...Equifax: 652, TransUnion: 608, Experian: 597
Message 94 of 191
Remedios
Credit Mentor

You cannot have calm public when even physicians are acting like it's a love child between Small Pox and Plague (with a dash of Ebola)

We have patients being referred "urgently" for chest CTs and plain xrays after they coughed trice.

What's even worse, when we reached out to Department Of Health for guidance on what to do should there be signs of atypical pneumonia, their answer is "Wash hands"

Okay, I'll wash hands but do we send patients to ER, release them back home, contact referring physicians???

They further clarified it with "Wash hands and avoid contact " 

Well, okies Department Of Health.

Gotta love WA. 

Message 95 of 191
iced
Valued Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

You cannot have calm public when even physicians are acting like it's a love child between Small Pox and Plague (with a dash of Ebola)

We have patients being referred "urgently" for chest CTs and plain xrays after they coughed trice.

What's even worse, when we reached out to Department Of Health for guidance on what to do should there be signs of atypical pneumonia, their answer is "Wash hands"

Okay, I'll wash hands but do we send patients to ER, release them back home, contact referring physicians???

Gotta love WA. 

Yeah, there's that.

This whole planet needs an adult to come in, put us in timeout, and make us count to 50 before we wind ourselves up into such an irrational panicy froth that we have looting and rioting in the streets. Or, better yet...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNkpIDBtC2c

Message 96 of 191
ACW3rdIM
Established Member

@SarahJo wrote:

@ACW3rdIM wrote:

If I may ask this here (mods, if I should post this as its own thread, I'm happy to delete this and repost elsewhere), out of curiosity, do credit card companies adjust their approval/rejection criteria or algorithms or whatever based on what's happening in the news? I wouldn't be surprised if the number of applications for more travel-oriented cards and/or the co-branded airline and hotel cards among the various issuers was about to hit an all time low, or if the number of applications for cards geared more toward day-to-day use on things like groceries was surging.

My favorite avaition and travel podcasts I listen to have all opined over the last several days that the coronavirus will be catastrophic for the travel industry, and that we're already seeing airlines and cruise operators start to panic because sales are WAY down. Just made me wonder if card issuers might, in the upcoming weeks to months, be BEGGING people to apply for, say, the high annual fee airline card (because absolutely nobody is gonna want to fly) and it'll therefore be easier to acquire one if you need it, but at the same time they WON'T want to be approving a lot of zero- or low-AF cards with multipliers on stuff like gasoline and groceries (including toilet paper and hand sanitizer).

Or I may have it backward. Anyone?

I wouldn't say it's the "news," per se that FI policies are adjusted as result, but "financial climate."  The international market reaction to the corona has been brewing, and is here, but strongly considers the future/projected profit or loss.  I feel that, for credit issuers, an adjustment is being made to more conservative policy due to lowering interest rates, Brexit/political climate yada yada, and people are predicting a recession at varying degrees.  

Corona is a factor, the travel FI community is being affected as we speak, and there are talks of tax relief or something of the like so that these companies feel it less.  Ticket prices dip a bit and travel deals due to supply and demand? Probably. As for credit card approvals?  My answer is "maybe," but I do not feel it will be as specific as you're thinking.  "The only thing that stays the same is that everything changes," and while this is indeed a big "news" story, a lot more goes into CC policy than epidemic to create an instant response as clear as "push higher AF travel cards for quick profit margins."  I would say this would trade one financial disaster for another, if those who normally would not qualify are approved and then default for example. 

As said on here often, those of us that have such a keen interest in credit and maximizing CC value are a small sample of the FI world overall.  And these FI's don't have all their eggs in one basket, not these days.  But! if the repercussions of "news" like this were predictable then we would all be comfortably retired! 

Interesting! Yeah, by 'in the news' I meant what's happening in the world that might affect the behavior of both consumers and the CC issuers, but you knew that. I think I get it -- if at all, the issuers will more likely react to how the financial world reacts, not to specific events. I didn't think there would be much if any change, but given that a lot of folks are saying that, while it isn't the movie Contagion, the coronavirus doesn't look like just a transient needle-mover in terms of the worlds of travel and finance. As I'm just now learning about this industry, I was just wondering how issuers reacted to things like this, i.e. when world events move people toward wanting one type of product they offer over another in a very measurable way. They've been making money for a long time; I guess they don't need to change much at all.

Thanks for the response.

Message 97 of 191
SarahJo
Established Contributor

As technology increases the perceptive size of the world decreases, it's absolutely a valid question!  

I studied Ebola back in the 90's, and up until the most recent outbreak nobody knew that Reston, Virginia had and suffered from it's very own strain of the virus way back when, the animal of information is completely different now even compared to the SARS times.  Information is a blessing and a curse.  It's tough to know what media outlets to trust (probably none), what people who influence the FI's will do, and other repercussions (oil today, yikes).  Will they ever declare a pandemic a "natural disaster" or "act of God" in financial terms, interesting to ponder! 

Present Day...Equifax: ???, TransUnion: 777, Experian: 781
Sept. 2016...Equifax: 652, TransUnion: 608, Experian: 597
Message 98 of 191
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@SarahJo wrote:

I studied Ebola back in the 90's, and up until the most recent outbreak nobody knew that Reston, Virginia had and suffered from it's very own strain of the virus way back when, 

It's not that recent, as I knew about it years ago!  And from Wiki:

Reston virus was first introduced as a new "strain" of Ebola virus in 1990.[4] In 2000, it received the designation Reston Ebola virus[10][11] and in 2002, the name was changed to Reston ebolavirus

Message 99 of 191
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

Gotta love WA. 

Yeah, I remember when the Ebola scare was going on and everyone thought it was the great culling of mankind lol. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 100 of 191
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.