Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Cards From The Past

tag
RLFLOWS
Valued Member

Credit Cards From The Past

Hello, I am new to this forum & have learned a lot from it.

I am in the beginning of rebuilding my credit.

With that said, I thought it would be interesting to know what credit cards we have had in the past (I'm about to turn 50 soon so a lot from my credit past are no longer around). 

Mervyn's (My 1st card from 1989)

Montgomery Ward

Emporiam Capwell

Weinstocks

Washington Mutual Mastercard

Orchard Bank Mastercard

Bank Of America World Points

JCPenney

HSN

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: Credit Cards From The Past

My oldest card would have been JCP but it died when I went into a DMP porgram.  I wish I had good credit back when they offered the Kiss Visa card.  My oldest card is Chevron circa 1984.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 2 of 18
thom02099
Valued Contributor

Carte Blanche and AMEX Green were my first 2 cards, back in the mid-70s. Young and foolish, I thought I was going to travel the world and that these cards would help me achieve that dream.  They didn't.   Paper applications back then, mailed in, and then waiting weeks to find out if I got them.  Not the instantaneous gratification of applications these days and knowing within 30 seconds if approved...

Also got a Discover Card early on, when they were backed by Sears, Roebuck and Co. 

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a Montgomery Wards card way back in the days and also one with a picture of a plane taking off on it (one of the first CC to offer mileage rewards) back in the 80's for the life of me I don't remember the issuer.

You all remember this? So we went from this to just "tap" your card heheh...

old-credit-card-swiper-ist2-675825-credit-card-swipe-device.jpg

Message 4 of 18
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I had a Montgomery Wards card way back in the days and also one with a picture of a plane taking off on it (one of the first CC to offer mileage rewards) back in the 80's for the life of me I don't remember the issuer.

You all remember this? So we went from this to just "tap" your card heheh...

old-credit-card-swiper-ist2-675825-credit-card-swipe-device.jpg

Yep, I remember the knuckle-buster quite well. 

A few places I worked used it in conjunction with one of these:

Verifone.gif

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow! off topic on this but in my head I just started to smell the scent of mimeograph ink heheh Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 18
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Wow! off topic on this but in my head I just started to smell the scent of mimeograph ink heheh Smiley Wink

Ah yes, the old spirit duplicators... I'll never forget those.  smiley-laughing021.gif

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Smiley Tongue

Message 8 of 18
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

Back in the 90's I had "Citibank Classic" Visa which I PC'd to Drivers Edge. Robinsons-May, Bullocks Wilshire, Mervyns, Montgomery Ward, and Gottschalk's.  My mother had one of the first Discover cards, Great Western Bank Visa (She worked for GWB/Wamu for decades in the home loans/mortgages dept.), MBNA MC, an Amex Gold and Optima (Her member since date was 80, I soo wish I had gotten on one of those cards!) and a Chase Manhattan Visa which must have had some insane limit on it, because she used that card for EVERYTHING! She also had a handful of gas station cards and a Sears card which looked like it had been laundered in the wrong cycle. (It was like half the size of a normal card).

Message 9 of 18
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@ChargedUp wrote:

Back in the 90's I had "Citibank Classic" Visa which I PC'd to Drivers Edge. Robinsons-May, Bullocks Wilshire, Mervyns, Montgomery Ward, and Gottschalk's.  My mother had one of the first Discover cards, Great Western Bank Visa (She worked for GWB/Wamu for decades in the home loans/mortgages dept.), MBNA MC, an Amex Gold and Optima (Her member since date was 80, I soo wish I had gotten on one of those cards!) and a Chase Manhattan Visa which must have had some insane limit on it, because she used that card for EVERYTHING! She also had a handful of gas station cards and a Sears card which looked like it had been laundered in the wrong cycle. (It was like half the size of a normal card).

I remember that old Sears card from when I was a kid...

Image result for old sears credit card

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.