Did you mean: 

Credit Cards and Stacking

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Cards and Stacking

Hi, guys.

I have a question that is a little 'Off-Topic.'

I was thinking of getting a Saddleback Small Bifold for myself for Xmas.

I don't know if any of you has one, but the wallet has only two inside slots to stack cards, one on each side.

I am worried that if you stack credit cards on top of each other, even in the same direction, that the cards will get damaged.

Has anyone had this experience?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Re: Credit Cards and Stacking

I carry a front pocket wallet that has 3 slots and I carry about 9-10 cards in it.

Never had a single issue.

Metal Venture, Metal Savor, NFCU Flagship, Navy Amex, WF Propel, Amex Business, Uber, Lowes, Sams Credit, Costco Card, ect.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 2 of 16
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I carry a big wallet with most of my cards. They can get a little scratched, but they continue to work.

Only very rarely do I have to swipe a card anymore. Most payments are by inserting a chip or by phone.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi, guys.

I don't know if any of you has one, but the wallet has only two inside slots to stack cards, one on each side.

I am worried that if you stack credit cards on top of each other, even in the same direction, that the cards will get damaged.

I stack them all the time...

unnamed.jpg

Never had a problem. I do put medical cards or loyalty inbetween my cards that have embossed numbers so they won't scratch off the signature area but I have fewer and fewer of those.

There is a stack behind those stacks and one in the front of the wallet. Never had any issues with any of my cards.

Message 4 of 16
kudosalert
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi, guys.

I'm a big fan of Bellroy. I carry too much crap to use anything smaller than their Notesleeve wallet but they have quite a few slimmer ones. The designs tends to be on the minimalist side everything will be slim. 

Check out this model

https://bellroy.com/products/card-sleeve-wallet/default/tan

It has 2 slots on the outside for cards you use the most and a bigger middle slot for multiple cards. Easy to take out because of the leather pull tab.

In my wallet:

In my desk:
Message 5 of 16
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

I use a decadent minimalist wallet. The whole point of this wallet is to stack cards, and slide in/out, without fanning the cards out. I think you'd be fine. I find that leaving spaces on cards actually makes them more susceptible to damage, especially those parts that are exposed. In the end, I would just ask for a card replacement if it gets too damaged (which will take a while). I've used a lot of wallets (including that style) and ended up with a bare aluminum one. I am obsessive-compulsive, so I understand your concern.

MVIMG_20191214_204258.jpgMVIMG_20191214_204135.jpg

Message 6 of 16
iced
Valued Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

I carry a big wallet with most of my cards. They can get a little scratched, but they continue to work.

Only very rarely do I have to swipe a card anymore. Most payments are by inserting a chip or by phone.

This. A wallet that doesn't eventually scratch or damage cards, particularly if you're the sort to put your wallet in a back pocket, does not exist. The good news is if they get too damaged, the banks send out replacements free of charge, so no problem there.

Cards aren't art or eye candy, and they're certainly not condition-sensitive like an antique or baseball card, so a little bending and scratching doesn't affect them at all.

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also use a thin front-pocket wallet. Has three dedicated slots for cards on one side, an ID window and a pocket on the other side, and a center cash pouch. I carry my majors with me and have room for a couple store cards if I'm taking them from home for a trip to those stores. Works great.

8EEC00A8-18DB-41D1-8E59-1FC353A0FACB.jpeg

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I use a Coach 6 card wallet. The innet pockets behind the cards are perfect for a stack of cards. When I want a slim feel I just pull out the two stacks. Best of both worlds. 

https://img1.cohimg.net/is/image/Coach/69217_chk_a8?fmt=jpg&wid=1400&hei=1822&bgc=f0f0f0&fit=vfit&ql...

Message 9 of 16
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Each card is in its own contactless protective pouch. Get them on flea bay pack of 10 for a few bucks. They look as good as the day I got them. Stops the scanners too.

IMG_20200110_043632.jpg

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.