cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Limits above $50K ... anyone?

tag
iced
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Limits above $50K ... anyone?

@seattlecredit08 wrote:

Very interesting thread. I don't have yet any cards over $50K; the closest I have is just over $30K.

What I am always curious about is how does one typically grow SL on these type cards, e.g. going from the initial SL of let's say $20-$30K to $80K.

Is it almost always through a customer -initiated CLI or auto-CLI?

Yes to all of the above. In my case, I've never had an auto-CLI from Chase, but I've made multiple $10,000-at-a-time CLI requests that were all instantly approved over the phone. As I retired old cards of theirs, I would call up and roll/split that CL to another card or cards. If/when I retire my United MP card with them, I'll roll its CL over to CSR too.

Message 11 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
I have a $500 credit card! Nobody beats the Wiz!

I have a $500 U.S. Bank Platinum Visa.  We're tied.

Message 12 of 48
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

only us bank can really do this to a good profile lol

Message 13 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

only us bank can really do this to a good profile lol

So true... I'm working them to see if they will give me an auto-CLI but they gave one to my Cash+ instead.  Just not ready to spend a hard pull to get it increased.

Message 14 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@seattlecredit08 wrote:

Very interesting thread. I don't have yet any cards over $50K; the closest I have is just over $30K.

What I am always curious about is how does one typically grow SL on these type cards, e.g. going from the initial SL of let's say $20-$30K to $80K.

The reason I am asking is because while we do hear quite a bit about > $50K limits, we almost never hear about SLs over $50K on a single revolver.

Thanks!

It boils down to persistence and experience.

Initial CL's aren't going to be amazing in most cases.  Typical CL's starting out for those of us in the game for awhile typically range from 25-50K depending on the depth of profile.

Growth though when it comes to banks isn't usually something they're going to just cough up on their own.  For instance when I picked up Citi cards they opened at 11K and CLI at open to 16K and the other opened at 8K and CLI to 13K when activating.  I don't quite get why they don't just offer you the best CL when opening instead of making you app for a CLI and another HP but, as your profile gains depth the HP's don't really matter from the stand point of your scores.  Why you have to push them for that extra 5K they withold on approval just doesn't make much sense but, it is what it is.  

If you don't PUSH them your limits won't move much on their own.  IIRC there's 1 or 2 CU CC's I have that did grow on their own but, not significantly within a short 2-5 year time frame.  Squeaky wheel gets the CLI!

Message 15 of 48
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

Smiley LOL Smiley LOL Smiley LOL

I still have a stereo that I bought from The Wiz...

My BoA AAA Rewards card is at $55K. Started at $2500 in 3/17, BoA kept popping the CLI increase button up, so I kept hitting it!

TU floating in the 680-710 range through most of it, $145K a year for income.

Message 16 of 48
Viva-LV
Frequent Contributor

@seattlecredit08 wrote:

The reason I am asking is because while we do hear quite a bit about > $50K limits, we almost never hear about SLs over $50K on a single revolver.

Thanks!

I have a Merrill+ with a 50k cl. Starting limit: 18k.  My cl exposure with BOA is 76k, so I'm sure I could swap some cl to exceed 50k.  Took 18 months, combining cl's from 4 BOA cards.  It was just a goal, that's why I stopped at 50.  Could probably do the same with Am Ex (63.4k tcl's), but don't want to poke the bear.  

Am Ex | BOA | Chase | Citi | Disc | PenFed | USB | 400K Club
Message 17 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

There was a thread a few weeks ago about getting a CO over 100k (with a BofA card specifically). Couple people chimed in with cards around 128k and 150k. A former 'banker' mentioned clients with cards around 200k.

I think the moral of the thread was if you want to break a 100k CL, be prepared to submit a couple years of W2 forms and proof of your assets.

Edit: how did those quotes get into my reply?! (Seriously lol, I never quote on mobile since it almost always gets messed up).
Message 18 of 48
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Anyone with an AmEx black card has way more than 50k available.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 19 of 48
iheartwings
Valued Contributor

Currently, I have two cards with CLs > $50k:

Discover it CL $63.5k, opened 2012 with $2.5k limit, last SP CLI 8/2016.

Citi Double Cash $59.2k, opened 2015 with $9k limit, last SP CLI 3/2019.

Both cards actually have had 1 HP CLI (Discover in 2013, and DC in 2016). 

Message 20 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.