cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Limits above $50K ... anyone?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Limits above $50K ... anyone?

@seattlecredit08 wrote:

What I am always curious about is how does one typically grow SL on these type cards, e.g. going from the initial SL of let's say $20-$30K to $80K.

Is it almost always through a customer -initiated CLI or auto-CLI?

Customer-initiated CLIs, hands down.  Not even close and I'd actual go so far as to say an $80k limit is impossible (or near close to impossible) to obtain through auto-CLIs.  In order to achieve that, someone would have to be putting a (say) $30k-$40k spend through their ~$50k limit card cycle after cycle.  Obviously, it would take top percentile income to even have a shot at that.  Lenders aren't going to push accounts up to $60k-$80k+ limits through auto-CLIs.  People are only going to get there through self-initiated requests.

Message 21 of 48
Noctilum
Frequent Contributor

My Citi double cash is at 55k. I ask for the increase every six months on the website and it gives me 3-6k each time. It started at 2000.
Message 22 of 48
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@seattlecredit08 wrote:

What I am always curious about is how does one typically grow SL on these type cards, e.g. going from the initial SL of let's say $20-$30K to $80K.

Is it almost always through a customer -initiated CLI or auto-CLI?

Customer-initiated CLIs, hands down.  Not even close and I'd actual go so far as to say an $80k limit is impossible (or near close to impossible) to obtain through auto-CLIs.  In order to achieve that, someone would have to be putting a (say) $30k-$40k spend through their ~$50k limit card cycle after cycle.  Obviously, it would take top percentile income to even have a shot at that.  Lenders aren't going to push accounts up to $60k-$80k+ limits through auto-CLIs.  People are only going to get there through self-initiated requests.

Are there any factual statistics that even support the bolded statements?  Have lenders been polled to actually derive such information that confirms those results?

For instance, and I'm sure while everything is relative to an individual and their respective profile, IME the UNFCU card which was approved several years ago ($70K) received 2 auto CLI to where it sits today ($85K) without any direct intervention on my part -- plenty of usage on the card above $10K, but not in the context of $30K-$40K as referenced.  Discover grew on its own without any CLI requests going from $62,500 to $68K --- all on its own a few months back, with variable and moderate usage (contrary to leaving it alone).  Chase, BoA/Merrill, ELAN/Fidelity, TD Bank, Citi and others, are additional examples where no [CLI request] intervention on my part was required (for CLs above $50K) to perform an auto-CLI.

A lot also depends on the type of banking/investment relationship for HNW individuals, customized lending solutions, income sources, plus a variety of other factors.

Message 23 of 48
Andypanda
Established Contributor

There are all of us with $300 cl  target red card. I realize it is a retail card.

@Anonymous wrote:

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
I have a $500 credit card! Nobody beats the Wiz!

I have a $500 U.S. Bank Platinum Visa.  We're tied.

Message 24 of 48
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Currently, I only have one (individual) card where the CL is above $50k:  my FNBO Amex, at $60k Smiley Happy  Originally began with SL of ~$4k IIRC, got up to $60k through a combination of SP CLIs and reallocations from other FNBO cards.

Message 25 of 48
redpat
Senior Contributor

Lol!  I have a 50k CSR that’s in the SD and all my spend went to Amex gold, plat and Delta reserve.

Since Amex made changes to plat and gold my need for high limits disappeared.  The days of running all my business and personal travel and dining on CSR is over, unless chase makes changes.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 26 of 48
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@redpat wins the Interwebz for SDing a 50k Chase CSRSmiley Happy

I salute you!Smiley Happy🙋‍♂️
Message 27 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:

Are there any factual statistics that even support the bolded statements?  Have lenders been polled to actually derive such information that confirms those results?

Nope, and I don't need them.  I used the statement "next to impossible" to allow a little wiggle room for outlier examples like what you provided.  This forum is more than a large enough sample size of data.  For every 1 example you can show me of an $80k+ credit limit achieved without a user-requested CLI, I'll show you 100+ where that $80k+ limit was achieved with a user-requested CLI or CLIs.  It's not even a close and frankly I find it silly to even try and debate that. 

Lenders are already dumb enough in many instances to hand out monster $80k limits to people like many of us that request a ton of CLIs while only using a tiny (in many cases 0%-1%) percentage of our current limit.  They'd be even dumber (and therefore do it far less) to hand out those same monster limits or greater to those that seemingly have no desire and never request increases.

Message 28 of 48
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Lenders are already dumb enough in many instances to hand out monster $80k limits to people like many of us that request a ton of CLIs while only using a tiny (in many cases 0%-1%) percentage of our current limit.  They'd be even dumber (and therefore do it far less) to hand out those same monster limits or greater to those that seemingly have no desire and never request increases.

I think this is too biased to credit forum based thinking!   I would guess that most "real-world" card holders don't request CLIs very much, if at all, and many/most not even be aware it is an option.   So it's certainly possible that banks don't think of "no request" as no desire, and instead use card history, credit reports and other info to assess the chance of nudging more spending on their cards, and do auto CLIs for target customers, including, and perhaps especially, those with high limits who in general are going to be more affluent.

So from this view, with about equal evidence, it's those who repeatedly ask for CLIs (for no obvious good reason!) that are the outlier way of reaching large CLs

Message 29 of 48
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I think this is too biased to credit forum based thinking!   I would guess that most "real-world" card holders don't request CLIs very much, if at all, and many/most not even be aware it is an option.   So it's certainly possible that banks don't think of "no request" as no desire, and instead use card history, credit reports and other info to assess the chance of nudging more spending on their cards, and do auto CLIs for target customers, including, and perhaps especially, those with high limits who in general are going to be more affluent.

So from this view, with about equal evidence, it's those who repeatedly ask for CLIs (for no obvious good reason!) that are the outlier way of reaching large CLs

Precisely.  Not only that, the examples that were cited upthread are not in the 'outlier' variety considering that this forum represents a fairly small fraction of actual real world scenarios.   Not every affluent or HNW is a participant of this forum so it's silly to assume I'd be the only one (or 1 in 100) who has fairly similar outcomes to cite anything as such is next to impossible.  

At any rate, steering back on topic.   @Aim_High  - CLs > $50K can be achieved organically based on the lending institution and some revolving tradelines can grow on their own or through customer-initiated efforts. For instance, NFCU caps the max CL on Flagship at $80K, UNFCU around $100K, then there's First Tech, UBS, Chase/JPM (PB), BMO Harris, HSBC, etc.

Message 30 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.