Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card ads.

tag
killer_queen229
Established Contributor

Credit card ads.

Seems like most of those stupid ads on Facebook or Yahoo!  or other websites are for credit cards and now they've been there the last few months because when I had no credit cards they never appeared. Does this happen to anyone else?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
p-
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit card ads.

Online ads are based on your browser cookies.  You're getting card ads because your browser shows you have visited card sites, myfico, etc.  Try clearing your browsing data, i.e. cookies, history, cache, etc and see how they change.

Big brother is watching...

Message 2 of 11
killer_queen229
Established Contributor

I've been a good girl I promise lol
Message 3 of 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

@killer_queen229 wrote:

Sure you have Lol

Back to the garden ERT's are all over the forum Smiley LOL

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 11
killer_queen229
Established Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@killer_queen229 wrote:

Sure you have Lol

Back to the garden ERT's are all over the forum Smiley LOL

I have been a good girl I swear!! I'd definitely be telling everyone I got new cards if I did.

Message 5 of 11
p-
Valued Contributor

I've heard that before....

But seriously; just browsing this site plasters you with enough credit-related cookies to make all of your context sensitive ads become credit products.

Message 6 of 11
starry1
Valued Contributor

Meh, I just ignore them like I do all other ads.

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 7 of 11
Mrm-na
New Contributor

In a similar vein, I find it creepy how Google and Amazon both follow me around the internet trying to sell me something I thought about buying a week ago.  It's like the salesman who hides in the trunk of your car and stalks you.

Message 8 of 11
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

lmao!! yes i agree^^^^^

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 9 of 11
ForMyBiz
Frequent Contributor

It's called retargeting and as someone above mentioned, once you visit a site they drop a cookie that allows them to show you an ad on many sites that you visit.  It gives the appearance that a company is spending much more on advertising than they actually are.  Plus, they already know that you've been shopping for cards, so you are a good prospect for other cards :-)

You can turn it off by:

clearing the cookies in your browser

or

right click on some of the ads will give you an option to "opt-out"

If you're really paranoid about being watched, you can also use private browsing (but that also limits other more useful functions like history, password saving and other autofill functions, etc.) There are even special browsers out there that make it more difficult for advertisers to track you!  I think "Chromium" is a variation of Google Chrome that does this.  If you google it you can read more about it.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.