Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card apps on phone

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit card apps on phone

Hi Everyone,

I am sure this is a dumb question but I got a new phone and had to set it up.  Usually my nephew does this for me (he LOVES doing it) but today I did it myself. I would like to know why all the apps need access to "Make phone calls, need access to media storage, Need access to contacts and about 50 other things?  I noticed it with the 1st one (Chase) and at first denied access.  I was then informed that I would not be able to use the application if I denied them access.  WHY DO THEY NEED IT?  I do not really understand the point.  Why do they need to know my contacts?  Why do they need acces to my photos?  My having a credit card with them does not have anything to do with MOST of what they make you agree to.

I am sorry if this sounds mean but I am frustrated. With all of the identity theft going around why do we give access to this (in my opinion) unneeded information?

I really would like to know.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Re: Credit card apps on phone

I probably wouldn’t be too afraid to allow access with apps like that. However, I will say that I’ve never had a phone app ask for some of those permissions. I’ve had Disco, Cap One, Chase, Citi, BBVA, Barclays, and more, and none of them ever asked for permission to make phone calls or access photos. Maybe I just got under the radar? 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 13k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply. I had never seen that either and neither had my nephew.
Message 3 of 10
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Whatever you're seeing is generic thing that shows up on Android when asking for permissions

Not everything listed is applicable but I'll give you one example

If you want to view the statement, Chase app will download it to your phone as pdf file. If it does not have access to "media/storage, it cannot do that. 

If you try downloading a calendar app, you will still get the same warning from OS. 

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently downloaded the Chase app for iOS and didn’t receive those disclosures. So it would make sense that it’s more of a generic Android thing than anything specific to the app.
Message 5 of 10
Schwartzinator
Frequent Contributor

Convienience in the digital age almost always comes with infringements on your percieved privacy.

Photo permissions are for access to the eDeposit service. Allowing phone calls is likely so you can direct dial their support line from within the application. Contact access is for sending payments to friends or family. As someone else pointed out, storage permissions are for just that. The 46 other permissions are quite likely to be non-nefarious aswell.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tahnks for all the replies everyone.  It makes me feel better knowing it is just a general request.

Message 7 of 10
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

You're able to manage the permissions from the app portion of settings and depending on version of Android, can see the reason it needs that permission. A lot of them are badly worded. Remedios gave some good examples. Things like allow phone calls isn't to actually allow phone calls. It allows the app to see the status of your phone, whether or not you're on it, or have an incoming call. It'll keep the app from timing out if you take a call. A lot of the permissions are like that. They have innocent, legitimate reasons for that access. Another one is access to camera. It allows you to upload photos of a check for mobile deposit. They don't want to take random photos without your consent. Only apple and Samsung do that. 😮

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

You're able to manage the permissions from the app portion of settings and depending on version of Android, can see the reason it needs that permission. A lot of them are badly worded. Remedios gave some good examples. Things like allow phone calls isn't to actually allow phone calls. It allows the app to see the status of your phone, whether or not you're on it, or have an incoming call. It'll keep the app from timing out if you take a call. A lot of the permissions are like that. They have innocent, legitimate reasons for that access. Another one is access to camera. It allows you to upload photos of a check for mobile deposit. They don't want to take random photos without your consent. Only apple and Samsung do that. 😮

Thanks for the explanation.  I feel better now.

Message 9 of 10
aesl1982
Regular Contributor

except he uses Andriod and most the time that is samsung Smiley Happy

Discover it miles 9/19 Sl 5000 | Care Credit 9/19 SL 3500 | Cap 1 QS 4/14 AU 500 | Cap 1 QS1 4/14 AU 600 | NFCU Secured 8/19 200 | NFCU CLOC 9/19 500 | NFCU auto 10/19 6.29 66k | NFCU Auto 4.9% 37k
Experian- 702
Equifax- 676
Transunion- 611
Util- 9%
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.