Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit cards vs Cash

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit cards vs Cash

I wonder how many of you still carry cash.

I know that almost all of us on this board use credit cards extensively.

I have about $40 in my wallet 'just in case,' but I never use it. I could probably get away without carrying it, but I have it "just in case."

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
fatcomic
Regular Contributor

Re: Credit cards vs Cash

Cash?  Never heard of her.  

Message 2 of 27
calyx
Super Contributor

I usually keep $20-40 in a corner of my wallet in case I do need cash, but mostly it's me and my boss trading that $20 as we cover each other's lunches and what not.

I also keep a single check in my wallet for vendors that don't take cards.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 3 of 27
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

Pre-COVID I used to cycle through two to three hundred dollars of cash between ATM visits, mostly for food at the company cafeteria and/or tips to hotel employees when I was on the road.  In the last 13 months I've visited my friendly neighborhood ATM exactly once (last summer I think), and I still have about $45 left.  Smiley Tongue

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 4 of 27
tcbofade
Super Contributor

I'll carry cash when I travel, but otherwise I keep one $100 bill in my wallet that I have no intention of spending.

It's there if I need it, or if someone else does.

With so many credit cards paying me to use them, I use plastic everywhere that I can.

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 5 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since COVID I havent carried cash or a debit card, the only time I ran into an issue was when I wanted to buy Girl Scout cookies other than that I'm good.

Message 6 of 27
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Over the years, I've used my credit cards more-and-more and cash less and less.  I never used debit cards and always hated them.  For a long time, credit cards were mainly for larger purchases and you would have gotten funny looks or a denial to use them for fast food or coffee.   Many vendors had minimums to use credit such as $5 to $10.  Now, it's no problem.   

Of course, in my early days of credit, cash back was the exception.  I did have a Discover card as the cash back pioneer, but it wasn't widely accepted yet.  I mainly used it for gas purchases and sometimes dining, things I knew I would be able to pay off easily.  Larger purchases went on VS/MC, but that was usually $25 or more per charge.  My statements were much more simple then.

I still carry cash and do use it sometimes.  But my visits to the ATM are much fewer and farther-between. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 7 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I have cash in my wallet, I'll spend it, so I try to stick to plastic only. 

Message 8 of 27
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

When I have cash in my wallet, I'll spend it, so I try to stick to plastic only. 

LOL, some folks say the opposite, having access to credit encourages overspending.  I tend to think this varies on an individual to individual basis.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 9 of 27
PandaGirl77
Regular Contributor

I don't carry it but end up with some when buying and selling stuff locally (ex: Facebook Marketplace and tag sale groups) when the other party isnt equipped to use Venmo.  I really cant stand losing potential CB.  I earned a promotional $150 debit card from my cable company and actually have anxiety over the fact I wont earn even the littlest CB back on it and has to be treated like cash.  Unless there is a workaround I'm not figuring out. 🤷‍♀️

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.