cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dealer sold me a car they don't have a title for???

tag
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Re: Dealer sold me a car they don't have a title for???

@Anonymouswrote:

I'm hanging on every word, best of luck!!!

I wouldn't be surprised if one of their lawyers shows up on your doorstep in an attempt to settle.

Feel free to send a "tip" to a local TV station or two as well before the court date.

Thanks!

Well, not before I win this and Motion to Dismiss is denied and the case proceeds to trial. Then the lawyers will feel a need to protect the reputation of the dealer and start talking settlement. But I'm going to be tough, I'm not in this just to win some money - while that would be nice, I want to teach them a lesson: selling me a car in Tucson with it still titled in Kansas from the trade-in customer with a lien on the title goes waaaay beyond the way a car dealer of this reputation should be doing business. They thought they could pay off the lien and get an AZ title to me before my temp registration expired and I would have never been the wiser. But they screwed up, and they messed with the wrong guy.

Message 11 of 19
jlitnns
Established Contributor

Good luck on this and keep us posted. Just going through this thread...scary.

Robot Very Happy

Message 12 of 19
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

I won! thumbsup.gif

I couldn't believe it, I was in & out of the court hearing in 15 minutes. The fancy attorney for the car dealer started in with her spiel, claiming I didn't have any right to sue them, claiming the state law requiring a car dealer to have title before even offering a car for sale, let alone sell one, could only be enforced by the Director of the AZ Dept. of Transportation. Judge cut her off, telling her I had every right to sue them, the law is the law, Motion to Dismiss denied. He said the next step was Arbitration, if I was asking for less than $50,000. I told him I was asking for $17,500, the price I paid for the car. He said "Oh, they'll award you that". Smiley Surprised

Guess I should have asked for $49,999 . . . . Smiley Very Happy

Naw, I'm pretty happy with a free car.

Message 13 of 19
jlitnns
Established Contributor

@DaveInAZwrote:

I won! thumbsup.gif

I couldn't believe it, I was in & out of the court hearing in 15 minutes. The fancy attorney for the car dealer started in with her spiel, claiming I didn't have any right to sue them, claiming the state law requiring a car dealer to have title before even offering a car for sale, let alone sell one, could only be enforced by the Director of the AZ Dept. of Transportation. Judge cut her off, telling her I had every right to sue them, the law is the law, Motion to Dismiss denied. He said the next step was Arbitration, if I was asking for less than $50,000. I told him I was asking for $17,500, the price I paid for the car. He said "Oh, they'll award you that". Smiley Surprised

Guess I should have asked for $49,999 . . . . Smiley Very Happy

What a great outcome! Congrats!

Robot Very Happy

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

DaveInAZ awesome! A good write up in a large newspaper on your story might make interesting reading to auto purchasers in your region Smiley Happy Sure glad you did not let this slide. How can any reputable business person ever think this case and its handling is good business or even ethical. Smiling for you ... you earned the outcome !!!
Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

A similar situation just happened to my friend near Seattle. I'm.curious to know of the final outcome.
Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DaveInAZ wrote:

Congrats!!! Nice to see this end up on the right side!

Maybe I should go car shopping and ask for one without a title.

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

What do I need to look up to get info? I live in AZ paid cash for car in Las Vegas NV . I felt they also took advantage of me because I'm a female had a lien took 115 days to come up with they also put that they had title in dealerships name day after I bought it . Not true DMV told me 60 days they couldn't find what was up with title told me return car get your $ back. They didn't do emission or mandatory maintance had snow tires no spare tire or tools and canister air tank expired lots of issues plus a recall . General manager told me shouldn't been on lot to sell they only had car for 10 days before selling to me. They lied about everything which has stressed me out nothing a nightmare. What should I do? Had a pro Bono lawyer they were to busy to take my case. I can't afford a lawyer so I had a referral from AZ for Nevada assistance. I also have all text messages of salesperson lies. Was asking ABCD2199 for a reply back
Message 18 of 19
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
What do I need to look up to get info? I live in AZ paid cash for car in Las Vegas NV . I felt they also took advantage of me because I'm a female had a lien took 115 days to come up with they also put that they had title in dealerships name day after I bought it . Not true DMV told me 60 days they couldn't find what was up with title told me return car get your $ back. They didn't do emission or mandatory maintance had snow tires no spare tire or tools and canister air tank expired lots of issues plus a recall . General manager told me shouldn't been on lot to sell they only had car for 10 days before selling to me. They lied about everything which has stressed me out nothing a nightmare. What should I do? Had a pro Bono lawyer they were to busy to take my case. I can't afford a lawyer so I had a referral from AZ for Nevada assistance. I also have all text messages of salesperson lies. Was asking ABCD2199 for a reply back

Hi and welcome to the forums @Anonymous 

This thread is two year old, with last post being over a year old. 

Explain your situation here https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Auto-Loans/bd-p/autoloans

I'm sure you'll get some good responses 

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.