Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delta Reserve Card, you can now request Contactless card

tag
PointsBonus
Established Contributor

Delta Reserve Card, you can now request Contactless card

I just ordered my contactless card ! It was an option......I wonder if it is a new design like the SPG Luxury ?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Delta Reserve Card, you can now request Contactless card

@PointsBonus wrote:

I just ordered my contactless card ! It was an option......I wonder if it is a new design like the SPG Luxury ?

Guess I'll find out on or before January 4th.  Smiley Wink

Screen Shot 2018-12-23 at 9.41.44 PM.png

FWIW I don't recall the last time I could use contactless but not ApplePay, but figured I would "take one for the team" and find out if it's different.

Message 2 of 12
PointsBonus
Established Contributor

I ordered one too, it be here on Dec 27th... Ill keep everyone posted.

Message 3 of 12
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I've put $xxx,xxx on my Amex cards this year and they're giving you yours EIGHT days earlier?!?!  I need a drink.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

My new cards spg and Delta will be here on the 27th. 

@K-in-Boston, you had the option to expediate the shipping. 

Message 5 of 12
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I only saw the USPS option.

Oh, looking at the SPG card on the app I see that it’s not obvious that the USPS option was clickable and would have allowed me to choose FedEx for the 27th. Oops.

Message 6 of 12
PointsBonus
Established Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

I've put $xxx,xxx on my Amex cards this year and they're giving you yours EIGHT days earlier?!?!  I need a drink.

And you have more AMEX cards than I do and a higher credit score !.

I will send you a picture ! lol

Message 7 of 12
kerplunk
Frequent Contributor

AmEx metal cards are now contactless only

Just some information I received from a senior American Express rep who spoke with a rep from where they manufacture their cards.

He told me that the new series of cards going forward will be what they call "Chip and Signature + Contactless Chip" cards. He said they will no longer offer non-contactless cards--at least for the Platinum, Gold, and SPG cards. (He mentioned those specifically.) The reason being that they have so many customers who have been unable to use their non-contactless cards abroad. 

I prefer the look of the non-contactless cards (the small EMV chip), personally. It's a bummer that now the Platinum card will only be available in the lighter metal+thick plastic version in the near future. The current full metal version is a huge selling benefit of the card, as silly as it is.

Message 8 of 12
FlaDude
Established Contributor

Re: AmEx metal cards are now contactless only

I upgraded from Classic Gold to the normal Gold last month and got the metal contactless card. Metal doesn't make much difference to me, other than I'm glad all my cards aren't or it would make my wallet noticably heavier, which is not a plus in my book.

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 9 of 12
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: AmEx metal cards are now contactless only

@kerplunk wrote:

Just some information I received from a senior American Express rep who spoke with a rep from where they manufacture their cards.

He told me that the new series of cards going forward will be what they call "Chip and Signature + Contactless Chip" cards. He said they will no longer offer non-contactless cards--at least for the Platinum, Gold, and SPG cards. (He mentioned those specifically.) The reason being that they have so many customers who have been unable to use their non-contactless cards abroad. 

I prefer the look of the non-contactless cards (the small EMV chip), personally. It's a bummer that now the Platinum card will only be available in the lighter metal+thick plastic version in the near future. The current full metal version is a huge selling benefit of the card, as silly as it is.

I don't doubt you at all, but it looks like once again a CSR (in this case, even a senior CSR) is giving out bad info.

This was on my Amex Gold Feb statement:

AmexContactlessOptOut.png

I personally like having "tap and pay", but I also like that it's still optional should my needs change.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.