Did you mean: 

Delta Reserve Card, you can now request Contactless card

tag
kerplunk
Frequent Contributor

Re: AmEx metal cards are now contactless only

@UncleB wrote:

@kerplunk wrote:

Just some information I received from a senior American Express rep who spoke with a rep from where they manufacture their cards.

He told me that the new series of cards going forward will be what they call "Chip and Signature + Contactless Chip" cards. He said they will no longer offer non-contactless cards--at least for the Platinum, Gold, and SPG cards. (He mentioned those specifically.) The reason being that they have so many customers who have been unable to use their non-contactless cards abroad. 

I prefer the look of the non-contactless cards (the small EMV chip), personally. It's a bummer that now the Platinum card will only be available in the lighter metal+thick plastic version in the near future. The current full metal version is a huge selling benefit of the card, as silly as it is.

I don't doubt you at all, but it looks like once again a CSR (in this case, even a senior CSR) is giving out bad info.

This was on my Amex Gold Feb statement:

AmexContactlessOptOut.png

I personally like having "tap and pay", but I also like that it's still optional should my needs change.

Thanks for this. It is so frustrating when CSRs give out information as if it were fact. Smiley Sad 

For as good as American Express's customer service reputation is, of any bank I've contacted, they seem to be the most inaccurate/confused... although they sound nice with their British accents, haha!

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AmEx metal cards are now contactless only

@kerplunk wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@kerplunk wrote:

Just some information I received from a senior American Express rep who spoke with a rep from where they manufacture their cards.

He told me that the new series of cards going forward will be what they call "Chip and Signature + Contactless Chip" cards. He said they will no longer offer non-contactless cards--at least for the Platinum, Gold, and SPG cards. (He mentioned those specifically.) The reason being that they have so many customers who have been unable to use their non-contactless cards abroad. 

I prefer the look of the non-contactless cards (the small EMV chip), personally. It's a bummer that now the Platinum card will only be available in the lighter metal+thick plastic version in the near future. The current full metal version is a huge selling benefit of the card, as silly as it is.

I don't doubt you at all, but it looks like once again a CSR (in this case, even a senior CSR) is giving out bad info.

This was on my Amex Gold Feb statement:

AmexContactlessOptOut.png

I personally like having "tap and pay", but I also like that it's still optional should my needs change.

Thanks for this. It is so frustrating when CSRs give out information as if it were fact. Smiley Sad 

For as good as American Express's customer service reputation is, of any bank I've contacted, they seem to be the most inaccurate/confused... although they sound nice with their British accents, haha!

That rep might have meant that AmEx was going to start issuing them by default now and not just on an opt-in basis as in the past. Also, I don't think anywhere overseas has stopped allowing chip inserts yet (though I could be wrong).

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.