Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did not know Citi Double Cash was a World Elite Mastercard

tag
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

Did not know Citi Double Cash was a World Elite Mastercard

I keep a file containing all my credit card information--each one's issuing bank, card number, credit limit, expiration date, CVV number, due date, closing date, phone number etc. A few days ago, I decided to physically take each card out and compare its info with my file's info, to make sure it was all current. (I'm glad I did, because I had missed updating one's new expiration date and CVV code.)

In the process, I found out something I did not know: My Citi Double Cash card is a World Elite Mastercard. I had no idea. Smiley Surprised

Learn something new every day!

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Did not know Citi Double Cash was a World Elite Mastercard

Yep, my former World Elite Double Cash card had a whopping CL of $3K. They offered me a huge $500 CLI before I closed it last month. That’s when I discovered it was a WEMC.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 5
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Insofar as having that status for the DC cardholder there is a lot more sizzle than there is steak.  Issuers have a fair degree of latitude as to which of the published World Elite benefits will in fact be extended for any given card, and Citi elected to nerf many of them for the DoubleCash.

Issuing a card as a World Elite allows the issuer to collect a higher interchange fee than for a World or Standard Mastercard, even if the whole World Elite standard suite of benefits isn't being extended to the cardholder.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SoCalGardener wrote:

I keep a file containing all my credit card information--each one's issuing bank, card number, credit limit, expiration date, CVV number, due date, closing date, phone number etc. A few days ago, I decided to physically take each card out and compare its info with my file's info, to make sure it was all current. (I'm glad I did, because I had missed updating one's new expiration date and CVV code.)

In the process, I found out something I did not know: My Citi Double Cash card is a World Elite Mastercard. I had no idea. Smiley Surprised

Learn something new every day!

Try to contain your excitement! There was a time that actually meant something and included many benefits particularily travel type benefits. Alas, the world today finds many lenders/FIs collect more on the transaction fee and allow more on the rewards side but little on the other benefits. Means little today. Sort of like "guns" or "butter" during WWII?! Smiley Indifferent Suspect with time and product changes there could be a change in what we have today. Remember back in time (2015) when such status usually carried a credit limit of $5K (or more) with a flexible spend "NPSL" option (that too is pretty much a memory).

Message 4 of 5
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

You know, it gets really disappointing finding out that things that used to mean something, now....well, not so much! I got all excited when I saw the pretty logo and read the words "World Elite" on the card. I looked around online and was wowwed by its benefits/perks. Now you burst my bubble!

It's all good, though. Smiley Very Happy

Remember when "pre-approved" actually meant that? I guess labels like "World Elite" are kind of like that now, in that it doesn't necessarily mean what you think it means. Oh well, I still think the logo is pretty!

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.