Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disabling the mouse on a laptop

tag
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Disabling the mouse on a laptop

Yes, that is the task bar. If the drivers are installed and it is working properly, there should be an icon.

Without actually having the laptop in front of me it is hard to decide what to do.

You can try to adjust the sensitivity level on the touch pad. Make it so you would have to pound on it to get it to move. Look in the owners manual for the instructions.

Sorry I could not be of more help.
Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

sidewinder,

I'm at work right now, but I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 at home.  I'll take a look at it later this evening and let you know what I find.
Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Cheddar!
Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, my Dell Inspiron 1501 has a Synaptics Pointing Device icon in the systray.  When I right click it, I can select "Pointing Device Properties" from the context menu, which brings up a dialog box called Mouse Properties.

On the "Devices" tab, there are a couple of options.

There are radio buttons to enable or disable the touch pad, and there is also a check box that says "Disable Touch Pad/Stick when a USB pointing device is present."

I just discovered that I get this same dialog box when I go into Mouse Properties through the Control Panel.

If you don't see this icon, see if you have the Synaptics application installed and running.  Does your task list show a process called SynTPEnh.exe?
Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

cheddar wrote:
OK, my Dell Inspiron 1501 has a Synaptics Pointing Device icon in the systray.  When I right click it, I can select "Pointing Device Properties" from the context menu, which brings up a dialog box called Mouse Properties.

There are radio buttons to enable or disable the touch pad, and there is also a check box that says "Disable Touch Pad/Stick when a USB pointing device is present."

I just discovered that I get this same dialog box when I go into Mouse Properties through the Control Panel.

If you don't see this icon, see if you have the Synaptics application installed and running.  Does your task list show a process called SynTPEnh.exe?

Nope. I bought this compute used, had only been used for a month, never been online. Apparently the person who had it was upset that it was getting repo'd and uninstalled a LOT of things. The modem didn't work when I got it, wasn't installed. A lot of drivers that were needed were not installed. Just a lot of things. So, I restore it to factory settings then ran the setup utilities disk.

A good friend of mine is a manager at a finance place and they finance products as well as doing CFL. He called me and told me about having it and I got a good deal on it, just been a headache getting it straightened out again.
Message 15 of 19
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

cheddar wrote:

Hauling -- you should have this too on your Toshiba.  (At least mine does.)

Thanks for doing all of the work Cheese!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
From 700 in 2008 to 498 in 2012...
4/23/12 -- BK 13 date of filing EQ = 505
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Here we go.... back on track.
Message 16 of 19
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Found it yesterday! Now I can use the touchpad wherever I like without the window shrinking and growing and leaping about. Thanks!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 17 of 19
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Just got a Dell Inspiron 1720 (Mocha). My hand never goes anywhere near that pad. But, this is good info though just in case.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 849
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

haulingthescoreup wrote:
Found it yesterday! Now I can use the touchpad wherever I like without the window shrinking and growing and leaping about. Thanks!

Excellent! Glad that helped you.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.